Author Topic: Guildwars 2  (Read 2659 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Guildwars 2
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
So, I decided I was looking for a not WoW MMO to try, and started a free account with gw2. Not even level 10 yet, so I can't pass any sort of judgement, but I'm enjoying things so far. Only issue is I barely have any time to play MMOs these days.

Anyone else here play/played gw2?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Guildwars 2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:09 AM »
I played it a bit. It's a nice breath of fresh air as far as MMOs go, and in fact a bunch of its features were borrowed by other games.

One of the things that come to mind (and I'm not sure you would have run into it just yet) is that your level is scaled depending on what part of the map you're in. This is fantastic, since you won't have to worry about a level capped player running into the starter zones and one shotting everything while you sit back and watch hopelessly. Granted, they'll still get a bit of a boost from their gear, but it's not like a level 110 swinging by Mulgore in WoW and killing all the plainstriders. The fact that there are level minimums means that your progression is still limited by your level, so you're still encouraged to push through the content one piece at a time. They still have to work for it. Blizzard sort of did this in Legion--enemies and item drops in the new zones and normal dungeons all level up with you, though there are still endgame areas where the enemies are locked at 110.

This is especially good, since it made the world events much easier to balance. They're basically things that'll pop up on your map, and anyone in the area can participate. The difficulty seems to subtly increase with the number of players in the area--they're possible to solo if you're the only one around, but they get pretty hectic if there's a bunch of other people near you. You get a participation award based on how much you did. It seems to be pretty easy to get a gold; I suspect that they aimed to reward players for sticking around rather than smacking an enemy once and getting full marks. WoW does something similar with invasion events, and shared taps allow players to take down elites together without having to group up. The group events in Destiny work almost identically to the ones in GW2.

Gathering nodes are personal. Thank fucking god.

The typical MMO holy trinity is basically gone, though some classes are better at certain things than others. Elementalists are probably the most balanced in that regard--they can switch schools of magic to change their most effective role (water magic for healing, fire/lightning for damage--single-target and AoE respectively, IIRC--and earth magic for light tanking). You should try an elementalist. They're fun. :D

Charr are the superior race. Asura are pretty cool, too!

Unlike the clunky jumping in most MMOs (*cough* WoW), the jumping puzzles and such in GW2 are actually kinda neat. It's nice that the game gives you credit for exploring.

So yeah, it's a good game. I need to play it more. :x
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:20 AM »
Im playing an asura necro right now. And yeah for once jumping feels pretty nice. Lots of interesting ideas in the game mechanics.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
Yep yep, and you can't beat the monthly price tag. :)

Let me know what you think about the necro! That's one class that I don't believe I've tried yet.
"This is a machine for making cows."