Author Topic: Space Sims  (Read 12286 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Space Sims
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
I think I may hold off, and it isn't like the game isn't half off every 60 days anyway, black friday sales, christmas sales, spring bullshit sales, easter sales, summer sales...you get the point.

I've been thinking of tackling my backlog head on, and while I will still buy more games(theres always cool new stuff coming out that I won't want to miss), I think I should be buying less games and playing some of the vast library I have acquired. I could probably not buy a single new game for a decade and still have stuff to play to be perfectly honest.

Plus with the huge updates on the horizon, I could just wait for those to rollout, and see the opinion on what that does for a new player before jumping aboard.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »
Yeah, it does seem to go on sale quite often. I suspect they figure that most of the hardcore sim crowd already dove in, so they might as well dangle a carrot out to see how many newcomers they can attract.

And yeah, I need to really work on my backlog a bit as well. My Humble Monthly backlog has spiraled completely out of control within the past couple of months, not to mention the sale-fueled impulse buys that I've done here and there.

Speaking of new player experiences, that's actually one of the things that I wish that Frontier would add: multiple commander slots. I suppose they figure that getting one commander in tip-top shape is time consuming enough, but it would be nice to have an extra character that I can put more of a combat-focused spin on.

Also, I wish I could help say what the new player experience is like, but the last time I've gone through that was less than a month after the game launched (almost three years ago...hard to believe it's been that long). I know the tutorials have vastly improved since launch; they used to be pretty threadbare, but since then they've been completely overhauled to be far more useful. It wouldn't surprise me one if they revamped the starting experience to be a bit more newbie-friendly.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
It's hard for me to stray from my "old faithful" games. I'm sure you guys are probably similar. I'll buy games and play them for a bit then end up right back with the same games I play most consistently. Smite, Virtua Tennis 4, 7 Days to Die, and Skyrim.

I just got Witcher III not long ago I really need to dive into it. Also got Rise of the Tomb Raider in that badass cheap Humble Bundle for like $10.

Not enough time in the day.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
Damn this game looks intense. Can't I just be rich an unemployed so I can play all these games....

So I'm guessing you play EVE online? I only ask because I came across an article a couple months ago that made me go holy shit this might be the most amazing thing in gaming I have ever seen in gaming, ever.

I'm sure you already know the story but it shows how incredible space sims can be.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
I play EVE off and on, albeit at a very low level (small time manufacturing/mining/trading, etc) but I do follow it in the news for reasons such as that.

What a lot of these stories tend to glance over is the amount of time and effort that it takes to pull off a heist like that. That's the part that's really impressive.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
I play EVE off and on, albeit at a very low level (small time manufacturing/mining/trading, etc) but I do follow it in the news for reasons such as that.

What a lot of these stories tend to glance over is the amount of time and effort that it takes to pull off a heist like that. That's the part that's really impressive.

100%. I mean they even said it all started at the EVE Summit. So they actually got together in person and turned "The Judge" while at the summit. That's some hardcore political badassery right there. The amount of planning and nailing it at the right time. I honestly feel a little bad for GIGX. As the head of one of the top 3 largest federations in that galaxy, I'm sure that was was his entire life. In in a matter of 5 minutes, he lost everything he had ever acquired, and was banned from the game forever. Like whoa.

Granted, he sounds like he was a arrogant piece of shit so maybe he really did have it coming.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Any sympathy I had went out the window right when he started demanding IRL information about The Judge and threatening physical harm. Besides, with the attitude and arrogance that he displayed it's no wonder someone would want to betray him.

Another highlight (and one that proves that CCP has a sense of humor) is the Bloodbath of B-R5RB. Included in the losses (which totals 11 trillion ISK, worth roughly $300,000-330,000 USD!) were, in CCP Dolan's words, "lots more smaller ships and probably a bajilion drones and fighters." Yes, he used "bajillion."

That fight was so noteworthy that it, to date, is the only EVE event that has its own Wikipedia article.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
Any sympathy I had went out the window right when he started demanding IRL information about The Judge and threatening physical harm. Besides, with the attitude and arrogance that he displayed it's no wonder someone would want to betray him.

Another highlight (and one that proves that CCP has a sense of humor) is the Bloodbath of B-R5RB. Included in the losses (which totals 11 trillion ISK, worth roughly $300,000-330,000 USD!) were, in CCP Dolan's words, "lots more smaller ships and probably a bajilion drones and fighters." Yes, he used "bajillion."

That fight was so noteworthy that it, to date, is the only EVE event that has its own Wikipedia article.

This gives me such a nerd boner. God damn I love video games...

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
7k plus players in one fight. Now THAT lives up the the name "Massively Multiplayer".
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
Oh yeah, it's insane. From what I understand about EVE's netcode, they specifically designed it to gradually scale back the update frequency as the number of players in a zone increases.

Kudos to the programmers for managing to build the game well enough to survive that kind of onslaught!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
Time dialation, aka tidi. It makes battles like that painfully slow. You get to watch your death slowly crawl towards you if its not a lazer.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:30 PM »
Just picked up Elite Dangerous and the Pilot Starter pack. Figured I might as well snatch it up on Winter sale.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 12:54:34 AM »
Welcome to the fray, Commander. You definitely joined during an interesting time. :)

Hope you like it!

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 12:58:48 AM »
I had two beers and read your comment Zephlar...I AM SEVEN FIDDY POORER BECAUSE IMPULSE

Now I'll talk in 2-4 years when I install the fucker...it's one thing to impulse buy a steam game, it's another all together to play it.