Author Topic: Intel and AMD are working on a laptop chip together  (Read 3670 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Intel and AMD are working on a laptop chip together
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/06/amd_intel_laptop_chip/

Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Basically, they both want to take the wind out of NVIDIA's sales so badly that they're partnering up. Intel is providing the CPU component, AMD is taking care of the GPU, and said GPU is going to be tightly coupled to the processor to increase performance and decrease power drain. It's speculated that the Intel GPU will remain to act as a low-power graphics chip as well in order to decrease its power consumption further.

This is equal parts crazy and awesome. I'm really interested to see what comes of this.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Intel and AMD are working on a laptop chip together
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Am I weird for thinking that a judge dredd world will probably be real a few generations from now?

When the big companies run out of little companies to devour, they'll eat themselves until it's only 3-4 mega corps running the planet.

Hopefully this doesn't destroy fair competition which would make the future market is just a monopoly of overpriced hardware.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Intel and AMD are working on a laptop chip together
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:43:13 AM »
Yeah, considering how many big businesses are merging nowadays I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, I work for a small business that was bought up by a larger business, which is in the process of being acquired by an even larger business. Crazy.

I'd say the silver lining in this case is that this is one case of two large businesses doing what they're better at in order to take on a common competitor. I take some solace in the fact that there's no way the FTC would allow Intel and AMD to merge. Talk about creating a monopoly! Things were bad enough before AMD lit a fire under Intel's ass with Ryzen.
"This is a machine for making cows."