Author Topic: Anime  (Read 3314 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Anime
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Just curious if anyone else watches Anime. I stopped watching it around 2008 and only recently this year started watching it again. My wife is pretty obsessed with it so I've been caving in.

Kamisama Kiss was just too ridiculous for me. Had it's funny bits but seems it's meant for like teen girls. Samurai Champloo was pretty sweet. Got her to watch DBZ finally.

Watched season 1 of Sword Art and it was a pile of steaming shit I can't believe people liked that show. I was super intrigued the whole season, driven by the "why" as to why the creator did it. When he finally revealed the creator and asked why he did it, the answer he gave literally made me get out of my seat and put my middle finger on the TV.

The biggest draw for me to date though is Attack on Titan. The monologues and time freezing thoughts that last like a full episode were ridiculous in some areas but overall this is a really appealing anime to me. I'm not allowing myself any spoilers from the manga community and maybe all my questions are what keep me so captivated (that and the SICK battle animations). If it ends up like Sword Art though where the answer is there is no answer I'm gonna lose my shit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:12:28 PM by Zephlar »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Anime
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
I've been thinking about getting into The Animu a bit more now that anime streaming services are on the rise.

Are there any streaming services that you'd recommend? I tend to prefer dubs where possible (unless they're horrifically bad).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
I've been thinking about getting into The Animu a bit more now that anime streaming services are on the rise.

Are there any streaming services that you'd recommend? I tend to prefer dubs where possible (unless they're horrifically bad).

Right now I'm using Funimation app which is like 5.99/month. It's like the only place you can get DBZ besides Crunchyroll. Although apparently there is a new app out there somewhere with everything combined I can't remember for the life of me where I heard that or what it's called.

Hulu has a lot of Anime as it stands like Attack on Titan and Sword Art. We have Netflix Hulu and Funimation at the moment.

I dunno if you use Hulu but a couple months back they completely fucked it up with the UI so CURRENTLY I really don't recommend it. It's seriously the worst UI I've ever seen in any streaming app ever. It's currently overwhelmingly the biggest complaint.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
Just checked their show list and...yes. Perfect. Thank you. ;D I'll have to sign up for that later.

<tangent>I haven't seen the new Hulu redesign but man, I'm getting really tired of these web sites following the flavor of the week so closely that it's making them all literally lose their mind. The proliferation of circular avatars (yes, because it's really fuckin' easy to properly frame pictures in a goddamn circle), browsers that don't understand that tablet conventions shouldn't apply to desktops (fuck you, Google), 400px wide columns with hamburger menus on a 1080p display, the use of such heavy JavaScript frameworks that cause the site to lag on a fast i7 and completely freeze on a top of the line mobile phone, desktop sites that are tuned to act like tablet sites (fuck you again, Google, and shame on you, Dropbox), stupid, unnecessary redesigns every two months (fuck you yet again, Google, and apparently Hulu as well)...shit like that drives me up the goddamn wall and it's becoming so common.</tangent>

What I'm trying to say is: thanks for the warning!
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 02:18:23 AM »
I kinda got out of anime in my late teens. I think I was a pretty bad weeb up 'till 19, then something in me went "nah not for me, kinda unpleasant to watch" and I just couldn't get into the stuff anymore. I seen the same tropes, and Japan (even outside of anime) has some weird fucking obsession with FATE FATE FATE EVERYTHING ON GODDAMN EARTH HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH FATE. im just going to the store to grab a bee- IT WAS FATED THAT YOU WOULD COME TO THIS STORE THIS NIGHT TO BUY THIS FATED BEER SEMPAI!

Tangent aside, finishing Persona 4 earlier this year kinda sparked something again, and I wouldn't mind maybe finding a show (of which I watch nothing, no shows no cartoons no documentaries NOTHING) perhaps in the future to check out.

I will admit that I still really enjoy DBZ despite being out of anime, it kind of transcends the medium for me and I just never stopped liking it. There are a few others I have fond memories of that aren't totally corney, Mushishi was fantastic, I wouldn't even mind rewatching it now. Cromartie High School was funny, can't hate on something with freddie mercury in there. I recall enjoying the first season of Ergo Proxy. Last mention is a show I have recently been looking into buying, Serial Experiments Lain. The tone of that show is totally up my alley in every way, I love that surreal emotionless disconnected lonely feel that the first few episodes I watched evoke. I've gotten bored of cutesy happy bullshit and I tend to gravitate towards dystopia over utopia, which explains my large interest in warhammer 40,000 lore.

TL;DR

I WAS A WEEB, THEN I HATED ANIMU, NOW I THINK THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS THAT I CAN ENJOY

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
Still weeb. Usually watch at LEAST 1 show a season unless the season is hot garbage. Currently watching Recovery of an mmo junkie with the gf, watching Just Because! by myself, need to finish Yuuki yuuna is a hero s1, gamers, and new game, which I've started but not finished recently.

Also, Lain is fucking amazing. Also you should check Haibane Renmei by the same creator. It's not as dark/wtf as lain is (at least in visual tone) but it's got that "something isn't right" tone, and a very interesting lore. Texhnolyze by (again) the same creator is also pretty cool, although I haven't finished that one so I don't know where it heads after the first ~10 eps. It's very dark and dystopian though.

I'd advise you to look more deeply into stuff. There's a LOT out there beyond the popular stuff. Hell, Rumbling Hearts had the MOST accurate depiction of struggling with depression I've ever seen, despite the contrived premise of the show. So much so that it actually served to motivate me to try to deal with the depression I was dealing with at the time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:31:42 PM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x