Author Topic: Smartphone went to black screen, never came back.  (Read 2357 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Smartphone went to black screen, never came back.
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
So yeah it's probably largely due to the fact I have an original LG Stylo which is over 4 years old, but I just have no idea why this happened.

Phone is acting like it's on, I can hear sounds and I can be called, but the screen is perpetually black. Tried removing the battery, soft resetting, nothing works.

I'm not so upset I'm gonna have to get a new phone honestly, just moreso curious as to what the hell could have caused this. I made a phone call and when I went to hang up the screen was black and never recovered. Also I have had no ability to use Wi-Fi for about 6 months now. Out of the blue it just completely stopped working on all Wi-Fi networks.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Smartphone went to black screen, never came back.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »
Looks like the LG Stylo uses an IPS LCD screen. One possibility is that the backlight crapped out. Try turning it on and holding it under a bright light. If you can very faintly see the screen, that's what ended up happening. Alternatively, the display connector could have gotten slightly pulled out of the connector through normal use over time. That admittedly unlikely, but it's possible. One other possibility is that the panel just finally gave up the ghost. It could be that the screen attempting to turn on after your call was the straw that broke the LCD's proverbial back.

Alternatively, it's possible that the proximity sensor is blocked by dust. That was one of the things that made me absolutely fucking hate my old Nokia 920 (among many, many other failings of the handset and Windows Phone 8 itself). Many old phones don't have much in the way of dust gaskets, or lower quality ones that get displaced or rot away. It's possible that the phone thinks that it's still up against your face. Those sensors are usually on the upper part of the bezel, usually hear the earpiece speaker. Try shining a bright light over that section and looking for dust particles. In some cases you can dislodge it by blowing hard into the headphone jack (no, I'm not shitting you--that's how I had to "fix" my Nokia since they refused to replace my handset despite it being two months old!). Depends on the internal layout of the phone.

Usually this only affects the phone during phone calls, but I imagine some of them may use something like that to kick the screen and touch panel off if you stuff it into your pocket. Hard to tell with Android, since each manufacturer can do their own things.

With regard to the wi-fi issues, have you tried connecting it to any Bluetooth devices since that crapped out? It's not a foolproof test, but wi-fi and Bluetooth are usually on the same chip.
"This is a machine for making cows."