Author Topic: Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update  (Read 5865 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
Avoid installing this shit at all costs.

I just spent two and a half hours trying to get my laptop running properly after the "upgrade" and, since the only way I was able to get it to run smoothly again was to disable switchable graphics, my battery life took a noticeable hit.

As far as my gaming rig is concerned, I get occasional stutters in gameplay because...reasons. Apparently an i7-3770 and a 1080 Ti isn't enough to run Windows and a game simultaneously nowadays! Supposedly there was a patch recently to fix this, but I haven't tested it yet. I'm seriously afraid to even play any of my VR titles despite being in the mood to since that goes beyond being a little annoyance (i.e. it can quickly make you feel physically ill).

It's worth noting that people in the Windows Insider program were reporting these issues months ago. The release of the FCU was actually pushed back to fix some of these issues. Aaaaaaand it launched with said issues anyway. Nice one, Microsoft.

Edit: Just installed a Twitter embed plugin (literally just for this post). Let's see if it works:

Edit2: Moved to the correct section. Apparently rage posting at 4AM causes mistakes to happen. Oops.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:22:10 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:18:53 AM »
Too late for my GF's laptop. Haven't actually noticed any real issues yet, but the most graphically intensive game I've used so far has been osu! so that's not saying much (and it has random frame drops and hitches because it's poorly coded, even on monster PCs).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »
So far I've had hitching on both Diablo 3 and Destiny 2. I think WoW plays smoothly, but I don't remember if I played that before or after I installed FCU on my gaming system.

It's not regular, either. It's not like microstutter where you immediately know that something's going on. It's once every 2-10 minutes (usually at the worst possible time, like what usually happens with things like that) and it's just long enough to be noticeable. Maybe 5-10 dropped frames at 60fps.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
W7 4 LyFe!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
I use USB 3.0 devices quite often. W7 doesn't manage those well at all (mostly because it has no built-in support--you're completely at the USB chipset vendor's mercy, and most of them do a really shitty job).

I wish Apple had more compelling portable hardware offerings. As much as I like macOS, I'd have to give up a lot to switch to it. I'm probably not in their target demographic, but I don't want a thin, light laptop. I want one that's literally just like the one I have, just running macOS. And no, I don't consider making it into a hackintosh to be a valid option.

I'm pretty much stuck on Windows when it comes to my gaming rig (and Linux gaming is still a pretty hilarious joke), but I'm not too bothered. That's far from a critical system.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
Oh no, it just popped up on my work system.

Fortunately, I'm running Linux natively on this system, so if FCU fucks things up I can just revert to a snapshot (or just blow away the VM and reinstall; no skin off my back either way--Visual Studio and Office don't take that long to install, after all). Let's see if I can manage to get one fully successful FCU install. So far I'm 0 for 2.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
I wish Apple had more compelling portable hardware offerings.

I have no self-control.