Author Topic: Black Friday 2017  (Read 4561 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Black Friday 2017
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
What all did you guys get this year on sale? I really miss the old daily sales format it's a shame they leveled everything out. Deal were so much better and it make it almost like a mini game to check daily on Steam.

I'm kind of at that point where I try not to buy new games because of all the crap I'm currently balls deep in.

I did however pick up The Forest which reminds me a lot of 7 Days to Die expect WAY more optimized and actually creepier. I never knew until 7 Days but survival horror seems to be one of my favorite genres these days.

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Black Friday 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
Not much to be honest, looking for a videocard (which I kinda don't "need...") and couldn't spot anything. So I just decided on a few vidya.

Divinity Original Sin on pc, ~$13.00. I wanted it on ps4, but on sale that fucker was looking 40...maybe 30 minimum, and the only reason i'd have wanted it on ps4 is to play co op with my gf...but she don't want to play it so fuck it, pc it is.

Pillars of Eternity, it was divinity or pillars, so it was pillars!...'cept I bought this game back in June and forgot...D'oh, well that's money saved. $0.00.

Zelda Oracle of Ages on virtual console, $3.00. I always wanted to play these games, and I could have got both...but instead I figure i'd con myself into beating one before buying the other. Could emulate of course, but I wanted it on muh 3ds, so be it.

Final Fantasy 15, $15.00. If it weren't for all of those mobile adds for the mobile bullshit, combined with the emo git looking characters, I'd have gotten this, but I have been losing my tolerance for that square jpopness, and I don't know if/when I'll pick up that game.

Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac age, $30.00. Am I a hypocrite for prefering this to 15? I beat the original on ps2 some...4? years ago. Going again with fast forward feature (which was great on ff7 port to ps4) and the job system should make the experience fairly fresh.

AND I TAKE IT BACK IM NOT A HYPOCRITE BECAUSE OF THESE TWO

Also would have nabbed ff9 on ps4, but no sale means I can wait.

But due to the nature of "black friday" it's still going on till at least the end of the day into tomorrow, so I'll update if anything else strikes my fancy. I am Setsuna, Stellaris, something else? Maybe...or maybe later.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
As far as games go, while I didn't actually buy it (it's a late birthday gift from a friend who snagged it during the Black Friday sales window) I ended up getting NieR: Automata. If he didn't buy it for me I would have gotten it myself, so...still counts? Maybe?

As for things that I actually did lay down cash for, I was able to get my MacBook Pro for $200 under retail price during the sales frenzy leading up to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Best of all, since Best Buy does price matching I was able to buy it locally and spare myself the agony of waiting for the delivery. Thanks to the discount, I was able to get the 13" Touch Bar model with a 3.1GHz i5 for just a hair more than the non-Touch Bar model with the 2.3GHz i5. Not too shabby! The form factor on this thing is wonderful, the battery life is kinda ridiculous (8-12 hours!), and I don't have to deal with Windows.

It just has integrated graphics so it's definitely not going to be a serious gaming machine but, uh, I did play some Undertale on it? Yeah, that counts for something.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »
Ordered most of my PC. Will update my PC build thread when I've got everything. Still haven't ordered a case or monitor though :/ Ran out of money. 144hz gsync monitors are fucking expensive, even at only 1080p.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Ordered most of my PC. Will update my PC build thread when I've got everything. Still haven't ordered a case or monitor though :/ Ran out of money. 144hz gsync monitors are fucking expensive, even at only 1080p.

Agreed I've been wanting one myself but the price has kept me at bay. PC gaming in general it seems has become more expensive than ever.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
If you go for the high end stuff, sure, but if you aim for mid-range you can get a system for $1000-ish that'll handle 1080p/1440p gaming at high quality without breaking a sweat. In Bobbias's case, the monitor alone costs more than a solid GPU would.

Just consider this generation versus the last generation. The GeForce 1060 delivers similar performance to that of a GTX 980 (which is still a very viable card, even at 1440p in most cases!) for under $300. CPUs are faster and cheaper than ever, especially thanks to Ryzen forcing Intel to actually start competing again. It's like anything else: you pay double to get into the top ten percent.

I ended up putting a quick build together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62L8LD

Ryzen 1600X, 16GB RAM, GeForce 1060 for just over $1100 without rebates. That even includes some luxuries, like a mechanical keyboard and a 500GB SSD (SATA, but still), and includes the price of the OS. The only thing that it doesn't include is the monitor. If I did some research I could have probably gotten that under the $1000 mark with similar performance. For example, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the price/performance of Radeons and Core i5s in terms of gaming so I had to leave those off the table entirely.

From personal experience, I can honestly say that the only reason I have the GPU that I have is to drive a 4K display at native resolution without sacrificing display quality. If I were on a 1080p 60hz monitor I'd be perfectly happy with a 1060. The only reason I even bought my current 1080 Ti is because I was able to get it a bit cheaper used, I didn't feel like dealing with SLI anymore, and a single GPU works better with VR (the first thing the Oculus app does is disable SLI, since occasional microstutter could make you feel verrrrry sick).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
Shitty things about putting together a system right now: RAM and SSD prices are retarded due to a wolrdwide shortages, and GPUs are more expensive than they should be to a much lesser extent due to extra demand from cryptocurrency mining (even though bitcoin is more efficient on ASICS, not every currency is).

And yeah, my monitor is the single most expensive part of the build. Still haven't bough it yet because I didn't have the money when I bought the rest. I also went a bit overkill on what I likely need to compensate for the years of shitty laptops.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Shitty things about putting together a system right now: RAM and SSD prices are retarded due to a wolrdwide shortages, and GPUs are more expensive than they should be to a much lesser extent due to extra demand from cryptocurrency mining (even though bitcoin is more efficient on ASICS, not every currency is).

And yeah, my monitor is the single most expensive part of the build. Still haven't bough it yet because I didn't have the money when I bought the rest. I also went a bit overkill on what I likely need to compensate for the years of shitty laptops.

Well I'm happy for you man. Excited you are getting to finally have that rig you've likely always wanted.

Kid I work with just finished his final purchase I'll be helping him on his first build. I get way too excited about rigs. Probably not as much as Spectere though  ;D

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
Feels good... Except for waiting for all the shit to arrive. I'm legit going to set this up open air before I get around to getting a case and the monitor. TV will do for a monitor for now.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:47 PM »
Yeah, waiting fucking sucks.

I've been considering getting as much as I can from Micro Center, since apparently they do price matching with major online retailers. There's one right over in Cleveland, which is only around 1-1.5 hours from me. Do you have any places like that near you?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
No idea about anywhere that might price match. Either way, it boots: 
https://m.imgur.com/a/A6nsf

Of course I have to literally short the pins on the mobo to start it, and I have to set the ram speed, and find an ethernet cable. Wont be able to play osumania on it because the lag on the tv is hideously bad for rhythm games, but should be able to play anything else.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
Woo, nice! Have fun! ;D