Author Topic: Skyrim Mods (ATTN: ZEPHLAR)  (Read 13808 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Skyrim Mods (ATTN: ZEPHLAR)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »
Masters are intended more to provide a base for patches to modify, so I wouldn't advise running the unofficial patches like that.

As far as mod issues go, the best way to narrow them down is to disable everything and reenable them one at a time. Same rule applies to installation: unless you have two mods that you know go together well, install them one at a time. It's tedious, but it can save you from ripping your hair out down the road. After you install one or two of them, jump into the game and warp directly to an exterior and interior cell from the main menu (from the console: "coc whiterun" and "coc BleakFallsBarrow01"). It's not an exhaustive test, but I've found that if a mod is going to cause Skyrim to hang or crash it's going to happen pretty quickly.

I'd try that on your installation to see if it still does that. If you can successfully warp to Whiterun and Bleak Falls Barrow, try starting a new game and breaking out of prison (you might want to use an argonian or khajiit for this test due to their unarmed melee attack being kind of OP at the start of the game). If it doesn't crash when you finally leave the prison, something's most likely interfering with Life Another Life's scripts.

As far as mod management is concerned, I'd recommend using Mod Organizer instead. I find the UI to be much better than Wrye Bash (and it's functionally superior to NMM), and it virtualizes mod installation to keep your Skyrim folder nice and clean (by default, it uses an SKSE plugin to pull this off). In my experience, it doesn't effect stability in the slightest. It is also compatible with the NMM protocol, so you don't lose that bit of convenience, either. I'd still keep Wrye Bash around for creating bashed patches and such, but I do almost all of my mod management through MO now.

Another nice thing is that it puts the unofficial patches in the recommended place (not sure if Skyrim actually loads them in this order, but considering the unofficial patch team recommends this order I can only assume it makes a difference):

(note: I remember even being able to order them that way from the Skyrim launcher)
(note2: the HighRes packs not being ticked is intentional--MO's loader allows Skyrim to load the BSA without having the corresponding ESP)
(note3: MO does feature NMM integration, so you don't lose that bit of convenience)
(note4: Make sure to get the pre-2.0 versions of MO for 32-bit Skyrim)

Edit: Yikes, this post was a complete dumpster fire. Reworked it a bit ton.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:22:49 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
I am actually still using NMM believe it or not. I think I'm gonna go ahead and finally make the switch.

As a side note, I made Khal Drogo and Danarys from Game of Thrones this weekend...

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
B-but you can't kill everyone in Skyrim. :P

Seriously, though, that looks gorgeous! Amazing what that old engine is capable of with a few patches.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:56:38 AM »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
[img]

Well, I guess we know what this means.....

"When you find out your in-laws are coming over for Christmas"

"When you're about to finally get it in and she tells you she has herpes"

"When you hear your mom and dad having sex"

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:15:26 PM by Zephlar »

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
How goes the modding folks?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
I actually haven't been gaming much this past week. I've mostly been working on little projects and other doodads.

We'll see how this weekend goes, though!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Been busy, so I haven't gotten around to figuring out what breaks my skyrim right now.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:46 PM »
Been busy, so I haven't gotten around to figuring out what breaks my skyrim right now.

I started writing only suggestion and started having flashbacks. I literally can not count how many times I've ruined Skyrim. It took me 8 hours on a Sunday to figure out my CTD's once. I feel you man. You'll probably do this anyway, but if a suggestion doesn't work make sure you put it back to the way it was to isolate the error.

-You have RealisticWaterTwo plugins for Legendary Edition, and Dawnguard, and Dragonborn. Unplug Dawnguard and Dragonborn and just leave the RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp.

-If that doesn't work, try running your GenerateFNISforUsers.exe and see if FNIS missed picking up any new animations (Ragdoll possibly)

-Could also be a conflict of wonder of weather and mintylightningmod.esp. Try unplugging the lightning.

-Try to unplug Ningheim. This mod gave me trouble at first that's only reason I suggest.

-Try bumping RaceCompatibilityUSKP just under Racecompatability. If that doesn't work unplug USKP.

-Pull RaceMenu and plugin above NIngeim. If that doesn't work try unplugging that racemenuplugin.esp.

If none of that works let me know I'll look a little deeper. Here is my load order but I doubt that will be much help. It's kind of a mess.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
Already tried removing ningheim and racemenu, though I'll give it a try sometime again. Ive got tomorrow off plus the weekend so I should be able to find some time.

I was being pretty dumb by just dumping like 30 mods or whatever it is on skyrim without testing as I enabled them but in my defence I'd kinda have expexted people to have figured this shit out at least a little better by now. Its damn near 2017 and shit still breaks when I throw mods at skyrim.... I think minecraft might have more reliable mod support at this point... Pretty sad considering mods are literally hacking the game since they STILL haven't released an official mod API yet.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:22 PM »
I downloaded tons at a time a lot honestly. Just keep an eye out for prerequisites.

The mod support in the community isn't that bad usually. It's the actual moderators of chat rooms and forums you have to be VERY careful around. I got IP banned in chat it was ridiculous seriously. Some people have no business moderating and just enjoy the control and power over others it gives them.

The discussion threads within the mod pages usually have active posters and can answer any questions.

Did you recently get SKSE?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
I was being pretty dumb by just dumping like 30 mods or whatever it is on skyrim without testing as I enabled them but in my defence I'd kinda have expexted people to have figured this shit out at least a little better by now.

...which is why I said to use MO. It's the most modern mod manager available, and my CTDs and infinite load times have decreased drastically since significantly I made the switch.

Considering the scope of Skyrim mods as well as the number that are generallyed installed, you can't possibly expect all of them to have been tested together. SKSE alone is a huge wildcard as that works by basically patching a compiled binary to extend the script API. It's not a matter of figuring anything out, there's just a lot that can go wrong in a very big way if there's a conflict.

The same thing is true with Minecraft mods, which is why I'm curious as to why you made that comparison. Last time I tried running FTB it leaked memory like a sieve, and to get a playable framerate I had to bump Minecraft's max memory to 8GB. Minecraft also changes its internal APIs constantly, forcing Forge, et al, to have to do sweeping reworks with every release, complete with external API changes. Speaking as someone who's dabbled in it a reasonable amount, the Minecraft modding situation is far from good, and conflicts between mods create the exact same situation that you run into with Skyrim. Minecraft is just a simpler game at its core and its mods tend to add rather than tweak, so there's just a smaller chance that you're going to run into a weird conflict.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
None of these suggestions are for SE because I don't use SE.  Any or all of them might require SKSE and SkyUI.  Looks like you're already using the only good mod manager (MO), so that's good :-*

Bug fixes and essential features:
USLEEP or other Unofficial Patches as needed - you should already have these
OneTweak (requires SKSE) - allows windowed fullscreen.
Vampire Lord drain with Serana Fixed (Dawnguard-only) - fixes the bug where Serana makes your vampire lord drain spell useless.
Kindred Judgement Fix (Dawnguard-only) - allows you to complete Kindred Judgement as a vampire.
ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer - prevents the race menu from precaching hairs. Necessary if you have a lot of hair mods.
A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads - adds roads to the map so you can tell where the hell you're going.

Optional:
Better Xbox 360 Controller - 8 hotkeys quicksave/load - the vanilla controller support includes only TWO hotkey positions. This changes the buttons so you have eight of them (using the left bumper as a modifier, making select open the hotkeys menu, and making left bumper + select open wait). This also adds a screenshot shortcut to the controller (left bumper + start) and auto walk (left bumper + press right stick).  I play with a controller and I have no idea what I'd do without this, but if you don't, you can probably skip it.
FNIS PCEA2 - like PCEA but less of a pain. You can use this to replace player animations without having to run a utility all of the time. Needed for the next mod.
Spears by Soolie - FNIS PCEA2 Version - gives you spears in Skyrim without making you rip your hair out like the old version did.
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended - you might already have this since it's required by basically everything, but as a note, you can use this to put spears on your back.
The Joy of Perspective - use if you need to see your character in first person mode to feel IMMERSED in this game where NPCs ragdoll a million miles into the air when a giant hits them
Start As Series - Female Breton - I got really fucking tired of the race menu defaulting to male nord :/
Elys's Uncapper - use to make the crafting skills not a slog mainly.  If you use the SPERG perk replacer, it recommends that you gain perks every other level instead of every level, so it's also useful for that.
SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay - replaces the vanilla perk trees with vanilla-like automatic scaling perk trees.  If you don't use Ordinator or PerMa or whatever, this is a really good mod to pick up.
Enhanced Blood Textures - i'm vile
Acquisitive Soul Gems Multithreaded - fixes soul gems so that lesser souls stop polluting your grand soul gems.
Apocalypse Spells - adds new spells that make being a mage actually feel powerful.
Bound Weapon Redux - adds more bound weapon spells, since the vanilla choices are kind of pathetic.
Knock -An Open Lock Spell - in older TES games, you could open locks using Alteration spells. This adds a spell that does that and automatically scales based on your Alteration level.
Paralysis Disarm and Knockdown Immunity Enchantments - I got a mod that adds irritating paralysis effects to certain enemies that results in stunlocks. This adds enchantments you can use to block that.
Field Alchemy - in older TES games, you could carry around alchemy equipment instead of having to find an alchemy table. This adds a mortar and pestle item you can use on the road.

Armor/clothing: thought i had more of these but here are the ones I have installed right now
Practical Female Armors - replaces most of the female armors in Skyrim with non-stupid armor.
Adventurer's Outfit
Cloaks of Skyrim
Lustmord Vampire Armor - mildly questionable but looks cool enough that i don't care
R18Pn 01 - Eisen Platte Armor - if you want to be a final fantasy or whatever
R18Pn 02 - Leere Armor - if you want to be a ragnarok online or whatever
R18Pn 04 - Ritter Armor - if you want to be a tactics ogre or whatever
R18pn 09 - Shanoa Armor - if you want to be Shanoa, and I mean, why wouldn't you

Armor mods that aren't on Nexus:
VS Trek Wear Dress and VS Medieval Archeress Dress WARNING: LOVERSLAB LINK. Not an adult mod, but taken down from Nexus.
VS Noble Archeress Dress WARNING: LOVERSLAB LINK. Not an adult mod, but again, taken down from Nexus.
dint - Nier Automata 1.5 english version WARNING: LOVERSLAB LINK. If you want to be 2B or A2.  Looks better than any of the alternatives I've seen.  Not an adult mod, but the author doesn't allow their mods to be put on Nexus. Requires Heel Sounds (ALSO LOVERSLAB) and HDT HighHeels (Nexus).  Also requires a non-disgusting HDT preset file.

Other:
No one cares about Nazeem - Immersion mod.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:00:13 PM by Alice »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Woo, fantastic list! Thanks! Definitely going to take a peek at those. ;D

No one cares about Nazeem - Immersion mod.

- Guards ignore assaults on Nazeem
- Townsfolk may say insulting things to Nazeem
- You can now marry his wife
- Many of Whiterun's inhabitants have rival relationships with him
- He is a coward now (if not always)
- No bounty for pickpocket or assault

Yup, this one is definitely getting installed. XD

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
Also @ Zephlar, what armor is Daenerys wearing in those screenshots? It looks awesome.