Author Topic: Disgaea 5  (Read 8696 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Disgaea 5
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
So, the GF and I got a Switch for christmas. We got Zelda, Bomberman, and Disgaea. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Disgaea. Anyone else here play any Disgaea games? Got some tips for someone who's highest leveled character is only lvl 40?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Disgaea 5
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
I have been intrigued in the series for a while but never really got my toes wet.

I actually literally wanted to hold out on Disgaea 5 specifically for whenever I get a switch. Which I'm holding out on an upgraded version with more than 32mb storage...I have the lower model of my phone and I have 64gb, the higher one had double that, GET WITH THE TIMES NINTENDO.

So most I played was getting to the title screen of the PC version of the first game...and playing 2-3 hours of La Pucelle Tactics, which I think is like Disgaea before Disgaea existed.

Haven't found the time or attention span to sink serious hours into any of them though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
I'm honestly surprised I haven't made a thread about this, especially considering I've had a Prinny as my Twitter avatar for a few months now. :P

I ended up getting Disgaea 5 when I got my Switch as well. It's literally the perfect platform for a game like that. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, where I feel like I'm in way over my head but I'm still having a ton of fun with it. D5 is the only one I've played at length. I played one of the PSP really briefly (Disgaea 3, I want to say?) but it didn't really grab me then.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
I love how complex it is, and how so far I haven't struggled to play through the story despite being rather bad at tactics games. But I definitely feel like I need to figure out how to improve my leveling efficiency, even at this low level.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Then there's the sheer number of things to level.

As far as I can tell, the idea behind item leveling and such is to make it so that you can make the game as easy as you want. It doesn't seem like it's strictly mandatory (as opposed to character leveling, which definitely is), at least not at the point that I'm at.

Guh, I need to start playing this again.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:39 PM »
N-N-N-NECRO POST!!!!

Random sales caused me to uhh impulse buy a disgaea two...disgaea games...

I got disgaea 5, and the remaster to 1...so im starting with 5 because, reasons, but I intend to play through that remaster of 1 because...well im paying money for it and far as I am concerned it has the most iconic cast of the bunch. I do hear that I should start with the earlier games first due to QoL changes to make going back harder than going forward, but I'm a man who can handle an old game or two, so I don't see any issues for me.

I am currently in chapter 3 of d5 and I can say with confidence, I have no freaking idea what I am doing and I think I am only getting anywhere because I got the dlc on sale as well and dlc characters are carrying me. My current objective besides learn how to play (everything I see in this game is post game, and ignore everything till post game, which doesnt really help...knowing what to do...) is to see where the earliest point in the game I need to be to get overpowered, since as far as I know, that's all these games are about. Not difficulty, but grinding to get op as all holy hell to get 35263256y3547 in every stat and break everything, which sounds neat, so why is there this decent part of the game called the beginning where everything fun is locked off to the player? I am new to disgaea.

I'm not sure if more mechanically dense than the old xcom games, or just too much system mechanics too fast. Because I understand those old xcom games (I beated em) and this is giving me problems, despite not really being challenging as of yet, I feel lost. Y'alls get farther in this bitch in the past...months since this thread was made?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
I was making slow progress in D5 but I fell off the train when Hyrule Warriors: DE came out. That's been my grinder of choice since it game out (and I just got back into it again aaaaaaaaaaaa).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »
I don't even remember where I am in D5. Stopped playing a while ago thanks to having no idea what I'm doing. I THINK the way forward is abusing item world and figuring out a way to farm better exp than I currently know how to, but I feel like I'm not strong enough to really do item world the way I'm supposed to, and the story missions are getting hard. And I have little to no patience these days (well, that and the whole ADHD thing).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
If I figure out the Magic Trick™ to playing D5 I'll be sure to post. No guarantees, though, since I'm still pretty busy with HW:DE. :P

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
Currently in chapter 4, and leveled a maid to level 105.... In not much time (2-1, drink 2 sodas a turn, level once every 30 seconds). Funny enough she does less damage than my level 45 prier.

Still got no goddamn idea what im doing. I think it's due to how uncharictaristically freeform and open disgaea is compared to others in the genre. Not a bad thing, but it's throwing me off. Curious if playing the remaster to 1 will be easier for me since it will have less features. I do intend to finish the story of 5 before I think of digging into that game though. We'll see if im interested in post game when I get there.

Uncomfortably neutral on the game so far. I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 03:36:40 AM »
I kinda have a feeling that D5 would make a lot more sense if you started from the first game and worked your way up. It seems to have the same problem that MH:W and the Warriors games have—it assumes that you came in with knowledge from the previous games.

I think I'm going to have to take a deep dive into FAQs and wikis before I pick D5 up again. My min-max tendencies kind of pushed me toward an endless grind cycle. If I had a better idea of what I should push for and how I should properly use stuff like Item World I'd probably be fine (I mean, I'm fine when I play Hyrule Warriors, and you can end up in the exactly same trap in musou games if you let yourself).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
I kinda have a feeling that D5 would make a lot more sense if you started from the first game and worked your way up. It seems to have the same problem that MH:W and the Warriors games have—it assumes that you came in with knowledge from the previous games.

I think I'm going to have to take a deep dive into FAQs and wikis before I pick D5 up again. My min-max tendencies kind of pushed me toward an endless grind cycle. If I had a better idea of what I should push for and how I should properly use stuff like Item World I'd probably be fine

Starting to get into breaking the game territory. Passing the bill for cheat shop is mandatory to raise enemy levels. Also I found out you spend prisoners like currency to upgrade groups, so beginning to understand that aspect of the game, have people in capture squad and work on those prisoners to upgrade more squads. DLC characters defiy help, metallia when she hits 50 gets S damage elemental spells, so been abusing that.

I do somewhat disagree with the monster Hunter comparison, I think it doesn't have a fraction the systems disgaea throws at you. Not to mention no leveling, not really a min max heavy game. I played that game the way I liked playing (mega defense turtle lancer) and the game let me.

Not to confuse lack of understanding with difficulty. So far disgaea is easy to play, just hard to understand due to lack of direction and minimum explaining why I need to use the mechanics available to me. Monster Hunter...is a hard game, but for the most part is just hunting stuff to make gear to hunt harder stuff for better gear. But maybe im biased since I put 200 hours into it.

And on dynasty warriors, I basically 100% dw4, and it was fun, but enough where I never want to play another game again. Spent an entire spring break playing co op, like 10 days playing all day and night....

*Edit* having played a lot today, managed to get to chapter 8 and Overkill my metallia to damn near level....400... Think im starting to get a feel for this fucker. This game is literally designed for you to break it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:51:01 AM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
I did end up passing the cheat shop and yeah, definitely essential. The fact that it's so weak right after you unlock it was a bit of a disappointment, but I suppose that's to be expected. I did fiddle with the prisoner system and managed to work out a somewhat vague understanding of it.

I unlocked the DLC characters but have been trying to avoid relying on them too much because some of them are just straight up broken, haha.

As for the Monster Hunter comparison, the reason I made that is because I had to coach several people so that they would understand the systems in World. Obviously it's a far cry from Disgaea as far as that's concerned, but there's a lot that the game glosses over that I only knew about from my experience with MH3. Even if it isn't as min-max heavy, if you're a newb you're still at a pretty big disadvantage if you don't know how to upgrade your gear. That was actually my biggest gripe with its tutorial systems: it took great pains to teach you how to play video games but chose to use dense yet vague info dumps to teach the weapon/armor skill mechanics. The problem is that the people who are more likely to need better armor are the people who aren't going to know how to upgrade their armor, or know what stats they need to focus on. The reason I made the comparison in the first place is because of how common that problem is to new MH players.

And on dynasty warriors, I basically 100% dw4, and it was fun, but enough where I never want to play another game again. Spent an entire spring break playing co op, like 10 days playing all day and night....

Yeah, I'm kinda like that right now. I've spent around 50-60 hours this past week playing Hyrule Warriors. Not sure quite how to feel about that, especially when I tack on the ~45 hours a week that I generally work. :|

Like, I've only turned on my gaming rig twice in the past two weeks (and my laptop's gotten maybe a few hours of use during that time). Crazy.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
I passed the cheat shop as well, but I never figured out how to really abuse everything to make the most of stuff. Sure, I can level up the enemies in that ch2 map with the easy xp tiles, but I couldn't get them high enough to actually make good exp out of it.

I love metallia though.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »
Yeahhh...I snowballed quick...

Drink sodas to power level a maid, use said leveled maid to tower level max level at cheat shop in 2-1. Use said levels to do 4-2 cheat shop level 16 to make level 99 enemies, tower level there. Advance story till you unlock martial training 1, hot...level 400 something there with one character.

Steamroll game, last game of 2018 beat!

I see the appeal, but having just came off advance wars 2 (a vastly better game, with actual tactics and no leveling) im kinda disappointed. Iunno, I got the first one sitting in shrink wrap, we'll see if I tear into that soon. Probably want to do that before I do post game in 5, but iunno.

6/10, not bad