The Chatterbox > Gaming

Monster Hunter

(1/12) > >>

vladgd:

8:30

I was enjoying street fighter 5 arcade edition then this hit...other than catching the hell bug that has America sick aint nothing stopping me from playing this bitch

video crack

Spectere:
I'm thinking of renting this on XB1/PS4 (to evaluate whether or not I should grab it on PC when it drops). As much as I love the concept, crafting, upgrading, most of the mechanics, etc, the combat never really gelled with me. I get that you have Very Large WeaponsTM and they want you to commit to your actions, but compared to games that offer a similar style of combat (the Souls series, etc) it just feels overly slippery to me.

I suspect that it's still not going to grab me. I definitely wouldn't blame Capcom for not changing something that so many people like (I'm well aware that I'm an outlier here :P). I definitely want to like it, though.

On the plus side, if MHW doesn't work out for me, I still have Dauntless.

vladgd:
I knew I was going to enjoy the game because I put over 120 hours into the psp games only doing local wireless co-op, and I dabbled in monster hunter 4 on 3ds. If I can get past tiny screens, horrible controls, and a worse camera in those games, and this game fixes all 3 of those things...no brainer for me.

Combat is the main appeal, and it's not for everyone. I feel like that animation priority is what makes it, if you're trying to play god of war in here, you ain't going to have a good time. It's meant for you to think more about what you're doing, and if you fuck up, you fuck up, try and learn from it and git gud. Changing it would totally 100% ruin the game imo, and piss off the entire fanbase who's supporting the game at the same time. They already made this game a lot easier than all of the past entries. I entered high rank in ~30 hours in this game, and in freedom unite it took me...80...90? So it's the most accessible game in the series already. I'm not even good/bragging, I'm actually kinda bad at the game, but yknow, the series is really damn hard and I don't think people really talk about that. Freedom unite is 100 times harder than dark souls, yet, dark souls is way more known for being a hard game than freedom unite is. To keep on the tangent I like to make this comparison a lot. Super mario brothers 3 doesn't have a reputation for being a hard game, and the original nes contra does. I firmly beleive smb3 is a harder game than contra, I can beat contra, and I have beaten it multiple times. I always die in world 8 in smb3, never beat it even with warps.  But yeah tangent aside, it's an easier game, just need to find a weapon you like and put a little bit of time into learning it.

Comparisons to dark souls are kinda legit though, but I think it needs to be flip flopped, dark souls should have been compared to monster hunter. Because Monster Hunter essentially is a game entirely of bosses, and bosses of which are a lot harder and more time consuming than those in Dark souls (only beat the first game, so my comparison only applies to dark souls 1).

Second though is gear, so you already know if you're in for that or not.

I think it's a mediocre/ok game to play solo, and a fantastic time eating game to play with friends.

There's not really anything like it, it's kind of it's own thing and that's really cool. Maybe god eater is similar, but i've never looked into them to really know that for certain. I like it, over 50 hours in so far and still having a blast. I'm not going to try and convince nay sayers, but I mean, that clip I posted up there was A PRETTY COOL MOMENT YOU GOTTA ADMIT.

It's not a fighting game so I assumed someone here would play it, maybe I'm just not into the hip popular games anymore? I swear this game was blowing up all over the place. I can hardly talk videogames to people in person because it's pubg this, league that, dota this, fortenite that, destiny this, minecraft that. If I don't shooter, or moba, I may as well not be a gamer I guess.

Spectere:
I don't really have a problem with the animation priority at all. I have no problem with having to commit to moves, and I certainly didn't play it as if it were made by PlatinumGames.

The problem that I have (which may be fixed with the console releases since they have proper controllers) is that if you aren't in a precise position you can actually slip past the monster in mid-animation and hit the ground. I've had that happen plenty of times and due to the awkward controls and fiddly camera it was something that was impossible for me to look past. It definitely doesn't help that my last real Monster Hunter 4 experience was on the OG 3DS, a system with no C-stick and a framerate that had a tendency to randomly tank. At least with the PSP you could use a claw grip to sort of wrangle the camera in place (I haven't played the PSP MH games, but I've seen plenty of pictures of the claw). With the 3DS that's way more awkward with the analog slider being above the d-pad.

I do recall having a better time with Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii (with the Pro controller, because fuck their nunchuck/Wiimote controls), so eh, maybe this will work out.

It is unfortunate that MHW doesn't have any sort of cross-platform play planned. Honestly getting really tired about how the console wars and the insistence of online platform exclusivity (both Sony and Microsoft are guilty of this at one point or another; Nintendo doesn't give a fuck because they're Nintendo) are ruining online games. I'm pretty much deadset on waiting for the PC release, and it kind of looks like everyone I would want to play with has it on console. Considering I'm thinking of selling my PS4/XB1 since I haven't used either of them in months, that's kind of annoying.

And yeah, the clip was a good watch! I always love watching MH gameplay. The problem is when I'm actually given a handheld with MH on it. ;D I might give it a rent this weekend and take it for a spin. It's a shame that the PC release is so far off, but I'm just sort of done with trying to find reasons to continue having a non-Nintendo console. I was considering the PS4 Pro until I found out that it has no support for UHD Blu-Rays. Not a good look for a media company (I mean, the goddamn XB1S supports them!), and not something that I'd want to pay a premium for considering it only has a small collection of exclusives that are worth playing. And I wish people would stop calling it a 4K console, ffs.

As far as the community here is concerned, keep in mind that there aren't many of us left. I think we have, what, 4 regular posters now? Independent forums have been basically dying in favor of places like Reddit.

As far as I'm concerned, aside from fighting games and MOBAs (not like I don't play those genres, I'm just ridiculously casual with them) I'm game (hah!) for pretty much anything. The problem in my case is that I tend to focus on PC/Switch nowadays, so when there's a game like MHW that isn't getting a PC port until later this year I'm not going to have much to say about it. :) That said, if my local video store (going to feel weird walking back in there) has any copies of it I'd like to rent it for the weekend to see if the improved controls make it more enjoyable and so that I can give my thoughts on it.

vladgd:
Yeah that's kinda right on the small amount of active users thing...forums kinda died a long time ago. Reddit is fine, but it's like less personal than a forum. There's no place I can go and feel like Cheers anymore.

Shame on the pc release though, I have no intent on getting it now because by time that rolls out, I'll have derived all I wanted out of the ps4 release. It's a fantastic game, but I ain't going to reroll on another platform. 2018 still isn't the multiplatform multiplayer future yet.

Control wise though, there's no camera or control issues anymore. You're on a real mans controller now, and the default camera settings are kinda shit...but you can change them a little bit and they work fine for me without issue. I think that's the big kicker, it was kind of an unwieldy game on portable releases, but it's a non issue for this one.

As for missing, there's camera lock on, but no "lock on" lock on, so yknow, player skill comes in there. However with as much as is fixed, it's still monster hunter, so it may convert people who had issues on the camera/control front, but not those who just didn't like the game.

ANDDDD the last point. It's just frustrating being into videogames, and having damn near nobody to talk game with. Yeah more people than ever like games now than ever before, but ain't the stuff I play. I am super big into fighting games, and not online, not irl have I really anyone to discuss with or even play. I need a local gathering or something, instead of having people over for dungeons and dragons I'll have people over for tekken or street fighter, or virtua fighter or something. Only issue with that, I've been hitting up people for a decade and no takers. Figure I live close to a major state university, a community college, and my local town has an arty college that neil degrasse tyson made an appearance at, THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMEBODY OVER THERE WHO WANTS TO THROW DOWN WITH BOBBY FLAY!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version