Author Topic: Far Cry 5  (Read 3856 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Far Cry 5
« on: April 08, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
So the game was pretty damn fun. Probably the best Far Cry game since 3, IMO.

Then the ending hits and it's at least as bad as Mass Effect 3's. Like, holy shit.

The only things that kept me from uninstalling the game on the spot and shoving it into my "Complete Shit" Steam folder is 1) the DLC looks interesting and 2) Far Cry Arcade looks interesting. I have no intention of ever playing through the campaign again. The ending is truly that bad that simply knowing that it exists is enough to undermine the rest of the game, and I type this without a hint of hyperbole. I was planning to 100% the game and now I don't even intend to do that. The campaign is completely dead to me.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Far Cry 5
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »
Wasn't the ending of farcry 3 also shitty?

I really enjoyed farcry 3, and I played blood dragon and actually think blood dragon is a superior product as the mechanics of farcry fit a smaller package better methinks.

But at the same time, from what I've seen of 4, and the caveman game, they're ubisoft syndrome in, if you've played one you've played em all? Is that the case with 5?

It's like dynasty warriors, I put a shitload of time into dynasty 4, loved that game, never want to play it ever again or any of it's derivatives.

Besides the stuff around 5, I don't really actually know anything about the game besides the setting, which im down for.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:40:13 AM »
Far Cry 3's ending wasn't really awful. If anything, it's probably got the most positive ending in the series. The bad ending is bad, but considering what you do to get it you'd kind of expect something like that. Even aside from that, the endings in the Far Cry games (aside from FC1, which was basically Crysis 0) generally lean towards bittersweet, not horrid.

FC4 is probably the most derivative. It was pretty much a reskinned 3 and actually took features out of the base game (and replaced it really fucking annoying shit, like hawks randomly attacking you and forcing you into a QTE). FC4 is what I played the least, by far.

FC5 has a lot of nice little QOL features, and it doesn't really feel like the previous open world style games. I mean, the core mechanics are obviously similar, but things unravel in a far more organic way. Instead of getting a populated map by doing simple, monotonous tasks, you have to actually explore the world and talk to people. You don't reveal the map by climbing an annoying radio tower, you reveal it by walking around and talking to people. So I guess in that regard it's probably one of the larger refinements to the series since FC2 gave way to FC3.

As far as QOL improvements go, crafting is a much smaller part of the game. You don't have to find 3 bear butts to get more weapons anymore--you get it through perks. Hunting is literally only there to make money and to get some extra perk points.

The weapon balance is kind of all over the place. The gun nerd in me is driven crazy when they do really silly things like give the .45 ACP cartridge more power and penetration than a 5.56 NATO round. Then again, that's not something that's new with FC5, it's just something that they never addressed. Still annoys me, though!

Really, my main gripes with the game are with about half of the story. You can tell that the area that they steer you towards at the beginning is the one that they spend the most time on. The other two areas are kind of all over the place, and the ending made me legitimately angry. If you haven't seen much of it, I'd say it's worth the journey, but the ending just hit me in the exact same way that ME3 did, and it had the exact same effect: it made me never want to play the campaign again because it all winds up being a waste of time in the long run.

It's a weird paradox. I would say that it's worth playing, but I won't play it again. YMMV, of course.

And again, that's all storyline crap. The gameplay is solid, and you can befriend a dog, a cougar and a goddamn grizzly bear and they'll WALK AROUND WITH YOU AND TEAR SHIT UP.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
I read this a couple days ago at work and haven't had time to respond. My reaction was literally an audible NOOOOOOOO!!!! when I read this.

I played 3 to death I REALLY loved that game, but I didn't think the ending (or story in general) was all that and a bag of chips. I got both endings. It was just insanely fun.  Ubisoft can take any premise and put a skin on it and make it look and play cool.

I played 4 quite a bit, admittedly did not beat the game. The story didn't really engage me and aside from some new vehicles weapons and critters it felt like I was just playing FC3 again. I just got a bit bored with it. Didn't bother with Primal.

I've been really hoping for knockout with FC5 though. There is no denying the gameplay in this series is hella fun, but they needed to do something different and it looked like this would be the installment to innovate a bit finally. I could probably get passed the ending (which still makes me very sad) if the rest of the game is good enough. What do you think?

You know I have to wonder how hard it is to come up with a sufficient ending in story telling in general. Anime bar none suffers from the repeated transgression of coming up with incredible premises and ideas, only to completely shit on it with a nonsensical or lackluster conclusions (see my previous Anime post in here about Sword Art). It drives me bananas because it seems when shit like that happens, the average forum poster can come up with a better conclusion within 10 minutes full fleshed out.

Sounds pretty awful when you compare it to ME3. I was so emotionally invested in that game, the ending was almost tangible in how much of a slap in the face it was. UNTIL you allow yourself to believe the Indoctrination Theory is 100% legit. It's the only way I can sleep at night....

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »
I've been really hoping for knockout with FC5 though. There is no denying the gameplay in this series is hella fun, but they needed to do something different and it looked like this would be the installment to innovate a bit finally. I could probably get passed the ending (which still makes me very sad) if the rest of the game is good enough. What do you think?

It takes a lot for me to dismiss a campaign over a terrible ending. Yeah, it is truly that bad.

Oh, and you know those hallucination sequences that everyone "loved" in the previous games? Yeah, they made that the theme for an entire bloody area.

You know I have to wonder how hard it is to come up with a sufficient ending in story telling in general. Anime bar none suffers from the repeated transgression of coming up with incredible premises and ideas, only to completely shit on it with a nonsensical or lackluster conclusions (see my previous Anime post in here about Sword Art). It drives me bananas because it seems when shit like that happens, the average forum poster can come up with a better conclusion within 10 minutes full fleshed out.

Incidentally, Armegeddon (remember him?) and I both came up with better alternative endings to FC5 with very little effort. Funny thing is that he hasn't beaten the game yet--he's on the last major area before the final showdown happens. I really hope he beats it tonight so that I can hear his reaction to it tomorrow...heh.

Sounds pretty awful when you compare it to ME3. I was so emotionally invested in that game, the ending was almost tangible in how much of a slap in the face it was. UNTIL you allow yourself to believe the Indoctrination Theory is 100% legit. It's the only way I can sleep at night....

Pretty much. It's upsetting, because the ME series is another one that I literally can't bring myself to play because of how it ends. It seems strangely fitting that ME3 simultaneously has the best bit of content in the entire series (the Citadel DLC had me smiling for the entire ride, and when my FemShep woke up with Javik after a long night of partying I laughed my ass off) and the worst (that GODDAMN ENDING). I didn't even get to experience the original, non-Extended Cut ending. I watched a video of that afterwards and I'm actually shocked at how much worse it is!

It's just really sad when it gets to the point where fan theories are both more plot- and universe-friendly, plausible, and make more sense than the standard ending. Ugh.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
I feel like I remember Armeggedon a bit but moreso his sim files? Was he a step chart creator?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
Nah, he didn't really play StepMania. He used to be a co-admin here (and also moderated Love & Lust on arch0wl.com).