Author Topic: NVIDIA Tegra X1 BootROM Exploit  (Read 3401 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
NVIDIA Tegra X1 BootROM Exploit
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:57 AM »
So there's a "little" exploit in the Tegra X1 SoC that allows users to bypass its protections and load arbitrary code into its trusted zone. This is a pretty huge exploit, allowing devices with the Tegra X1 to be pwned pretty thoroughly. There's no real way to fix this, either, since the issue is in the chip's bootloader.

So, why is this in Gaming? Simple: the Switch uses the Tegra X1. If you have any interest in Switch homebrew, you're probably going to want to pick one up before NVIDIA releases updated silicon.

Now even though arbitrary code execution is unpreventable, bear in mind that Nintendo can still put measures in place to detect any shady activity and ban hacked users from their online services. If actual homebrew picks up in a big way after this I'll probably grab a second Switch for licensed gaming and use my first generation hardware strictly for homebrew.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: NVIDIA Tegra X1 BootROM Exploit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
Ive been following news about people hacking the switch for a while. Heard about this on reddit. sounds pretty awesome for the homebrew community but im not sure if the gf and I are willing to potentially have to buy another switch.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
I'm sure that if you're just running homebrew and aren't doing really dumb crap like running prerelease games (which is what got a bunch of Wii U accounts banned) you'll be fine.

All this talk of homebrew reminds me that I have a Vita that's ripe for some emulator goodness. I keep forgetting about that damn thing. <_<

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
Fuck. If I had a vita I'd be emulating the fuck out of stuff on it. One of the best handheld emulating systems out there.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Right? I used to use my PSP for that sort of thing and was impressed at what it could handle, so I'm now kind of eager to start fucking around with the Vita now, haha.

I remember certain SNES games being playable at a decent framerate on the PSP, so I'm thinking that the Vita should be able to handle just about any expansion-less SNES game at full speed. I guess we'll see!

Also, the SD2Vita is a thing now, and I do have a spare 64GB microSD card lying around (yes, lying around. It was going for the price of the 16GB cards with the same performance rating at Best Buy, so I couldn't pass it up). That alone makes owning a Vita affordable, because fuck those bullshit proprietary cards with a rusty machete.