Author Topic: Clone Hero (User made Guitar Hero 3 basically)  (Read 10186 times)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
Clone Hero (User made Guitar Hero 3 basically)
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
Except way better with much more functionality. This has kind of refueled my passion for the game actually. It's free and if you have a guitar already just connect it to your PC and Clone Hero will pick it up.

Download link. Mac not currently supported unfortunately.

Almost every GH/Rock Band game is already available thanks to the amazing community. As well as some really nasty customs for pros. You can view the master spreadsheet (links included) here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:35:34 PM by Zephlar »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Clone Hero (User made Guitar Hero 3 basically)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
Shame it's not open source. I would have tried my hand at a Mac/Linux port if it were.

I'll take a look at it later. Thanks for sharing!
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
Shame it's not open source. I would have tried my hand at a Mac/Linux port if it were.

I'll take a look at it later. Thanks for sharing!

Shit man, maybe reach out to the devs. That would be incredible.

From their blog:
"What about mac support? We would love to have mac support, and in fact the game mostly works on mac already. However we are having an issue with BASS.net and unity which prevents the game from playing any audio correctly. If you have any ideas on how to correctly convert a .dylib to a .bundle give us a shout."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
Didn't realize they were using Unity. Yeah, there's not much they--or anyone else--can do about that. Unity has a bunch of bugs when dealing with external libraries in non-Windows platforms. Things that should work just tend to not work. Unity's great if you're using Unity's components but things get a bit sketchy when you bring third party stuff into the mix. Developers have been struggling with that stuff for years.

I think part of it stems from Unity's use of Mono (which is basically a cross-platform .NET Framework). .NET is another one of those things where it tends to work very well within its own ecosystem, but if you need to branch out things get very complicated. Just the nature of the beast, really. Cross-platform isn't nearly as easy as the penguin fuckers in the Steam forums like to think it is.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »
Cross-platform isn't nearly as easy as the penguin fuckers in the Steam forums like to think it is.

But-but-but Fortnite!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:46:00 AM »
Ive been aware of clone hero and frets on fire for a while. Don't have a gh controller any more and can't justify the cost for one. I've got enough rhythm games to play as is, so I've never played either of them. I do watch videos by Acai/jason paradise/randyladyman/ukog though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:07 AM »
I still fire up the 360 once in a while and play Rock Band, haha. It definitely helps that my cousin gave me alllllll of his peripherals when he got rid of his 360 so I have plenty of spare parts. Never got around to picking up RB4...maybe I should grab it while it's still a thing.

But-but-but Fortnite!

Unreal Engine, mang. 8)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
Ive been aware of clone hero and frets on fire for a while. Don't have a gh controller any more and can't justify the cost for one. I've got enough rhythm games to play as is, so I've never played either of them. I do watch videos by Acai/jason paradise/randyladyman/ukog though.

Me too. I really hope Randy hasn't bailed. Not sure if he's just taking a break or what. He's my favorite for some reason I just like watching his streams. He has the best rake strum. Acai has the best two hand tap game.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
I still fire up the 360 once in a while and play Rock Band, haha. It definitely helps that my cousin gave me alllllll of his peripherals when he got rid of his 360 so I have plenty of spare parts. Never got around to picking up RB4...maybe I should grab it while it's still a thing.

Unreal Engine, mang. 8)

Do you know how to fix GH Guitars? I've got like 3 guitars and 4-5 Neck/frets that are collecting dust because they are broken.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
Do you know how to fix GH Guitars? I've got like 3 guitars and 4-5 Neck/frets that are collecting dust because they are broken.

I haven't swapped any parts yet, but I can't imagine it being much different from any other game controller. If they start becoming unresponsive, most of the time it's due to a layer of carbon crud coating the contacts on the buttons. The strum bar on GH guitars feel like a microswitch, so after heavy use that part could need replaced. Not sure what kind of mount it uses, but microswitches are generally pretty easy to find.

IIRC (it's been a while since I took one apart), the strum bars on RB controllers is a soft lever switch with foam pads holding the strum in place. Most strumming issues with RB controllers are caused by the foam remaining compressed.

My GH controller intermittently cuts out, so next time I play I'll probably take that to bits to try and find out why. It's most likely a brittle solder joint. Worst case scenario (i.e. the board is fucked), I might see if I can somehow fit the GH-style strum into one of my RB controllers. If the mounting points are different, this might be one of those cases where having a couple of 3D printers might be useful. :)

I mean, let's face it, the strum on the GH controllers blows the one from the RB guitars out of the water. With a nuke.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
I mean, let's face it, the strum on the GH controllers blows the one from the RB guitars out of the water. With a nuke.

Uhhh yeah. Like Large Hadron Collider black hole creating solar system imploding better.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:33:44 AM »
Oh god yeah the RB strum bar is sickeningly bad. I havent caught any of their streams actually. Just watch stuff on youtube. Shits crazy.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Just bit the bullet and got the Sunburst on Ebay. I've needed a new one for a long time. I have 2 Aerosmith and 1 GH3 Les Paul that are all kind of in shambles. One strum bar doesn't work at all, the other only works on downstrum. Out of 4 necks only 1 works like it should but even that one sometimes my blue won't register when I'm holding it. Hopefully this will be my last guitar purchase ever. I've probably spent $500 on guitars since GH1 released.

I just wish Red Octane would come back and make one of those expensive stupidly hearty extreme peripherals. Ya know like those REALLY nice DDR pads.

The sunburst is pretty beefy comparatively which I'm hoping will improve my game. I have big fat hands.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:42:14 PM »
You're never going to be able to make a "last guitar purchase," unfortunately. Microswitches have a limited lifespan (a certain number of presses, and that number can depend on the force used). Really, all you can do is repair them as they break.

Sad to say, but Red Octane's DDR pads were far from good. Their "sensor" was a lame piece of conductive foil that would complete the circuit between the pad and ground. It would verrrrry commonly prematurely short (misfire) or tear so badly that it wouldn't register at all or become unresponsive.

You were always much better off with a Cobalt Flux (reliable and sturdy as hell, though it didn't feel like the arcade pads) or a BlueShark (expensive sensors, since they used DDR-style ones, but they felt very similar to an arcade pad).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

Awaiting acai fc.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x