The Chatterbox > Gaming

10 games for 2018

<< < (3/3)

vladgd:
I guess since year's over, I could do a small year end review of the work I put into this thing 2018

1- earthbound
2- monster hunter world
3- smt nocturne
4- smt 4
5- south park fractured but whole
6- xcom terror from the deep
7- persona 5
8- deus ex mankind divided
9- metroid: samus returns
10- dragon quest xi
11- smt 4 apocalypse
12- advance wars 2
13- disgaea 5

October/November 2017 I was thinking about how I haven't been beating many games and I made some list of 10 games I wanted to complete in 2018. apparently I made a list of 5 in October...

...yeah...didn't even touch any of those...but my goal of 5, arbitrarily turned to 10, and I wanted to only beat unbeaten games...I OBLITERATED IT.

Less pc time, more games being beaten, my back feels fantastic, and I have been tackling some of those naggling games. Let's try and categorize some of this away for a wrap up of my 2018 vidya experience.

Favorite Game/2018 GOTY
Monster Hunter World.
Not much to say, I had a thread about it. Monster hunter was a fantastic series hampered by the platforms capcom released it on...this game fixes that...nuff said. I haven't had this much fun playing a videogame...in...a...long...time...I honestly can't remember the last time I fiended for a game as much as when I was in the middle of my hunter addiction. Not to mention the first time in a long time I played online with irl friends of mine for long periods of time. Good friend of mine whom I havent played games with online since...modern warfare 2...ended up putting at least 100+ hours of my 200 hours played in this thing.

Runner up favorite
smt nocturne
My introduction to Shin Megami Tensei, and having had experienced it...it's knocking its way on the door to my favorite jrpg. Might need some more time to simmer on it, but I really REALLY like this game. Light on story, heavy on atmosphere, great battle system, great challenge, great music. I still listen to the OST at work damn near every week, I only wish...the sequel was better...

Least Favorite Game
Shin Megami Tensei 4
This game refines a lot of things of nocturne, which is great...except the game itself...kinda...it's not bad..just...not good? Take the first "tutorial" dungeon of the game, make it the hardest jrpg dungeon I've ever played no exageration, and then make the rest of the game very easy, with a horrible starting atmosphere and an even worse story until near 80% through the game, it's just disappointing. I am confused as to why the smt community recommends people start with this game, at least smt4 apocalypse has a balanced difficulty curve, but the story in that game is just straight anime weeb stuff, which is fine...just not in the context of shin megami tensei. Play nocturne, then play this, you'll know the difference in tone real quick. Cutesey anime "LETS GO ON A PICKNICK!" just out of place in a game like this.

Most rewarding game to complete
xcom terror from the deep
Played this game a few years ago, it utterly defeated me. I savescummed like a bitch...and it still beat me. This game is HARD. Hardest game on my list this year, one of the hardest games I have completed. But it's xcom, underwater, and that's AWESOME. Like the original, but want shittier weapons and stronger aliens(well yknow till you get molecular control, and soldiers skilled to use it...then you can kinda just kinda obliterate everything...but yknow, good luck surviving that far with enemies who can take rockets to the face without even flinching)? I guess this is up your alley, had a blast playing it from start to finish, and I am extremely happy to knock this fucker off the backlog.

Biggest surprise
dragon quest xi
I thought this game was going to be some open world skyrim like game, and it wasn't. This is a dragon quest ass dragon quest game with a shiny coat of paint, and after a slow start, it plays great. All these great jrpgs ive been exposed to this year alone, and to end it, square enixes own NON final fantasy game just killed it this year. I don't even have any intent to play final fantasy 15 anymore, I think im done with that whole franchise at this point, but dragon quest...I got what, 9-10 others to try out since this was my first one? Getting excited of which one I'll knock out in 2019! Highly recommend this title to jrpg fans who like that OG style with a fresh coat of paint.

Seems like jrpgs and turn based strategy games on my plate for the most part, we'll see what 2019 comes to bring. Not sure if I'm committed to going crazy on vidya in 2019, but we'll see what the year brings. Change is usually slow for me so I'll probably pile on a few games before I focus attention on more important uses of my free time, so we'll see.

Good games 2018.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version