The Chatterbox > Gaming

10 games for 2018

<< < (2/3) > >>

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 04, 2018, 12:40:02 AM ---Even being sick with probably bronchitis (no idea what it is, but it's in my lungs and it wont go away, currently on week 3...) and multiple days where I had time to play, and just sat around resting, I still managed to complete the fucker.

--- End quote ---

Funnily enough, that's sort of how I managed to finish FF8 (original PC release) for my first time. I was off school for three days with the flu and when I wasn't sleeping, I was playing that. It was engaging and didn't have enough action and movement to trigger nausea or motion sickness. It was far from a 100% run, and I think I managed to beat it in around 30 hours. The dynamic leveling definitely helped.

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 04, 2018, 12:40:02 AM ---Far as I understand, metroid fans typically gave samus returns a thumbs up. It adds a few odd things, but as a whole game I feel it's metroid how people like to play metroid. This ain't other M we're talking about. Also since it's a metroid game, it's short, so it isn't the biggest of time investments.

--- End quote ---

I love how Metroid games tend to take a super long time on your first playthrough while you're getting a handle on it, then your time quickly slips into the sub-hour range.

I know I've been saying this for a while, but I've been recently inspired once again* to start working on Zero Mission. I need to get my GameCube in a position where it can run GameBoy Interface (basically, a piece of homebrew GameBoy Player software without all of the awful timing issues and input lag) and then get to practicing. I've come to the realization that my PB, set in around 2005 and with minimal routing suggestions taken, is actually still pretty damn good. I think I could probably push my times into the top 25 if I started cracking away at it.

*A couple of my friends in Wisconsin do gaming marathons at their house. I participated in one (designed to help them get back on their feet after both of them ended up in serious car wrecks in a span of a week—during which we ended up becoming the first group to 100% clear Mike Dies, which was pretty cool) and was there last weekend when they ran Super Stigma Slam, benefiting Take This.

But yeah, I'd love to be able to participate in one of them. Strangely, I'm better at games at 33 than I was at 22, so I think I have a fair shot at getting a marathon-worthy run together.

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 04, 2018, 12:40:02 AM ---But shit, that's all 10 games. I was fooling around with the idea november of 2017 as a way to get my ass to beat more games since I'll buy shit, and not play it, and I actually managed to do it. Never woulda figured.

--- End quote ---

Congrats! You've definitely got more dedication than me when it comes to beating long games.

If you want a solid short game to fiddle around with, give Minit a shot (if you haven't already). It's sort of like Half Minute Hero meets Zelda.

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 04, 2018, 12:40:02 AM ---As for what to do next...iunno I got work in the morning. Might purchase sublime within the week maybe, my girlfriend is actually semi interested in working on python with me so that could motivate us both to work on it, and spend time together. Two birds with one stone.

--- End quote ---

Sweet.

If you have any questions, let me know. I actually just wrapped up a fairly involved Python project at work (using pygame, no less!), so I've gotten a pretty solid handle on it.

vladgd:
uhh...you need to take my vidya away so I can be productive or something. I mean I'm working, and eeking out a living but yknow...

1- earthbound
2- monster hunter world
3- smt nocturne
4- smt 4
5- south park fractured but whole
6- xcom terror from the deep
7- persona 5
8- deus ex mankind divided
9- metroid: samus returns
10- dragon quest xi
11- smt 4 apocalypse

Better gameplay than smt 4, way worse story and none of the cool alternate fucked up universes the end of smt 4 had. Also same "enemies dont drop money have to pick up respawnable junk and avoid random battles to get money, so it motivates me to buy a dlc for that scumbaggery"

Not a fan of that bullshit, but I soldiered through it. It's an alright game, overall better than smt 4, but a lot worse than...iunno p4, p5, nocturne....

So now I got no damn idea what game is next on the totem pole. I may impulse buy a switch or red dead 2, or maybe nothing.

I kinda want a laptop now, because I'm actually really rarely on my desktop anymore because of the back problems I had with my horrible posture at the pc.

Now that I'm not on the pc, I can work 10-14 hour long shifts standing up the whole day, with NO BACK PAIN. I'm actually afraid to be on the desktop for more than an hour because of all of the back issues. Like the last time I called into work was 3-4 years ago, because my back hurt so bad I couldn't even get to the car to go to the emergency room to get a fix for the pain. So I needed someone else to drive...and even getting out of bed, or worse yet, moving at all, was very painful.

So...I'm thinking a latop chillin in my recliner would yknow kickstart this coding motivation. Even shit I really want to do on pc (play that classic wow private server for instance) I just gave up on because it's too much strain, and this very well affects my desire to learn dat python.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q54GSR/?coliid=I2BMB0KDHHUNRG&colid=GUKBX6ITJKKA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Something like that maybe, although with more storage, just started the hunt so it may be a few months before I find something. I don't need a desktop replacement, but if I can learn my programming on the thing, and do some "light" gaming (I wanna play wow classic in the living room in ultimate comfort! and I know that game isn't a system destroyer)

Sorry for the rant, but those the thoughts I'm having. I know I've been procrastinating the hell out of this, but honestly 2018 is the year I've spent by far the least amount of time on my pc, in my entire adult life. All of my pc hours in 2018 is probably one single week of me being on my pc in 2017, no joke, I can go more than a week without even opening the door to my pc room. It's probably the reason I've been getting into games a lot more.

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 27, 2018, 11:38:42 AM ---I kinda want a laptop now, because I'm actually really rarely on my desktop anymore because of the back problems I had with my horrible posture at the pc.

Now that I'm not on the pc, I can work 10-14 hour long shifts standing up the whole day, with NO BACK PAIN. I'm actually afraid to be on the desktop for more than an hour because of all of the back issues. Like the last time I called into work was 3-4 years ago, because my back hurt so bad I couldn't even get to the car to go to the emergency room to get a fix for the pain.

--- End quote ---

Oof. :(

Yeah, I had to force myself to adapt better posture because I was getting some gnarly lower back pain. Not nearly to the level that you were experiencing, but it was bad enough that I knew I had to do something about it.

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 27, 2018, 11:38:42 AM ---So...I'm thinking a latop chillin in my recliner would yknow kickstart this coding motivation. Even shit I really want to do on pc (play that classic wow private server for instance) I just gave up on because it's too much strain, and this very well affects my desire to learn dat python.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q54GSR/?coliid=I2BMB0KDHHUNRG&colid=GUKBX6ITJKKA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Something like that maybe, although with more storage, just started the hunt so it may be a few months before I find something.

--- End quote ---

That's a really odd configuration. If you want to do light gaming, I'd just snag something with a better CPU and just use integrated graphics. That would be good for light gaming (I can play modern WoW with my laptop's integrated graphics at 1080p on high quality and maintain over 30fps, and you'd easily be able to hold 60 with Vanilla with everything cranked). You could probably get away with an i7 for the same price, and that would give you quite a bit more CPU power to work with.

If you do plan on doing some mid-range gaming on it from time to time, that would be a decent base system. The CPU is decent, and you don't often see laptops with a dedicated GPU at that price range. You can put two drives in it (it has both an M.2 slot and a 2.5" HDD bay) so you can expand the storage, and it would be unusual for a laptop of that size to not have upgradable RAM if you ever needed to upgrade that.

Oh, also, this might better serve your Python needs than Sublime would (since it's designed specifically for Python development): https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/. There's both a Professional edition and a free Community edition. I ended up using the Pro version for the aforementioned work project and it made for a really nice experience.

--- Quote from: vladgd on October 27, 2018, 11:38:42 AM ---Sorry for the rant, but those the thoughts I'm having. I know I've been procrastinating the hell out of this, but honestly 2018 is the year I've spent by far the least amount of time on my pc, in my entire adult life. All of my pc hours in 2018 is probably one single week of me being on my pc in 2017, no joke, I can go more than a week without even opening the door to my pc room. It's probably the reason I've been getting into games a lot more.

--- End quote ---

S'all good.

I actually have the opposite issue with my setup. My PC is connected to the same TV as my consoles, and my laptops generally stay in there as well, so I find myself using that for most of my entertainment-related stuff. My ultimate plan is to set up my computer hardware in another room. Not only would it make streaming easier (since I do want to get into that, maybe once or twice a week) but it would also let me have a dedicated workspace and a dedicated console/entertainment space.

vladgd:
Work..work..work...

1- earthbound
2- monster hunter world
3- smt nocturne
4- smt 4
5- south park fractured but whole
6- xcom terror from the deep
7- persona 5
8- deus ex mankind divided
9- metroid: samus returns
10- dragon quest xi
11- smt 4 apocalypse
12- advance wars 2

I bought a game boy player for the gamecube about 3 weeks ago, and was mucking around with a few games, I've been buying loose carts over the years but never bothered to play due to not being able to find a NEW battery for the gba sp. Only batteries available are "new" batteries, aka, been sitting on a shelf for 15 years and cant hold a charge for more than an hour.

But now, I can just use the good ole gamecube.

I was a pretty big fan of the original, but the difficulty of the final mission caused me to...abandon the game for over a decade before somehow finishing that impossibility.

Either way, decided since I bought 2 some unspecified time ago, why not.

This time however, I wasn't a fan of how you unlocked characters in the first game, some ~3 entire playthroughs of the campaign to unlock everybody, and the best character can't even be used in war room (think one off challenge maps, but theres a lot of em, and they're really fun). All the effort for...only vs mode, ehh.

THEY CHANGED IT IN THE SEQUEL, so you can use any of the crazy OP unlockable characters in war room...

Caveat..."beat the campaign with an overall rank of S"

So...my first playthrough of the game, to unlock that character, needs to be S rank...

...So, I did it, and now I'm posting here.

A little anti climactic but I don't feel like writing another essay on another old game I beat. It's a great game, wish they'd make another one instead of chumping out another fire emblem, but I had fun. Maybe I'll tackle the DS game sometime in the future.

In the meantime, I have far exceeded my expectations for actually working on my backlog this year. Probably the most games I've personally beaten in a year in my life.

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on December 11, 2018, 11:50:01 PM ---I bought a game boy player for the gamecube about 3 weeks ago

--- End quote ---

Just as a heads up, the GBP handles controller input in a really really wonky way, so if you suddenly find yourself unable to do something you can do consistently on a real GBA, it's probably not your fault. That happened to me when I tried to play Metroid: Zero Mission on my somewhat recently-acquired GBP (that said, my playthroughs of that aren't the most casual).

There is some software called GameBoy Interface that does an amazing job of driving that hardware. I don't have access to it personally just yet (I can't run homebrew on my GameCube at the moment), but I've used it on a friend's system. It's quite good.

Naturally, stuff like this isn't likely to improve your experience with stuff like Advance Wars, but it might help with more action-y stuff. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version