Author Topic: Decided to splurge and get a new gaming PC.  (Read 18872 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Decided to splurge and get a new gaming PC.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
Well....This is kinda fucked.
Was waiting for the black Friday sale...And now the monitor has gone UP in price from $749.99 to $899.99?

Wow. That is fucked. D: My sympathies.

The other one you linked would have been a noticeable step down, btw (only 1080p instead of 1440p, which is a pretty significant resolution hit), so you were better off going with the pricier one.

Yeah, persistence of vision is a bitch for stuff like say, playing osu!mania, like I do.

The 165hz refresh is definitely noticeable compared to 60 when playing mania, but since it's a light note on black background (for highest contrast), there's still some pretty noticeable POV effects. Still, it's definitely better than 60hz was.

That's one thing I always miss about CRTs. The CRT that I used to play StepMania on back in the day was capable of a 200hz refresh rate (up to 800x600, I think). It's also capable of syncing and legibly displaying 1920x1080 at 60hz (though obviously you'd need to manually letterbox the image to correct the aspect ratio).

I still have that sucker--it's connected to my retro PC. It's amazing how much of a difference pushing up the refresh rate makes even with normal desktop apps. I'm running Windows 98 SE on that box and generally keep the display at 1024x768 at 85hz (if I push it beyond that I have to start tweaking alignment whenever it drops to 70hz for full screen DOS titles) and the cursor motion is noticeably smoother than it is on my 60hz LCD panels. I love it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
Well in the end, I bought the bmiprz. Waiting for it to be shipped.
It better be worth the $855 I spent on it. Goddamn it. Lol.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
Now that I’ve gotten this monitor..... should I end up upgrading my graphics card or wha....?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
It kind of depends, really. What games do you plan on playing with it? Are you mostly focusing on slightly older competitive titles or are you looking for something to run newer games with fancier graphics?

If it's mostly going to be the former, the 1050 Ti should do a very respectable job driving that display. If you're looking at the latter, I'd try to trade up to at least a 1070/2070 down the road. That'll give you a much better shot of being able to maintain 1440p with over 60 fps on newer releases.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Holy fuck this shit is smooth. But I think I *do* need to get a new gfx card. Can only run overwatch with the 144fps on medium or high :-/
Maybe I should invest in a 1070ti. Just wondering, which brand? Should I go with MSI?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:21:06 PM by NewF »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
Mindless Self Indulgence is always a good choice. ;)

Seriously though, yeah, MSI makes good shit. Additionally, my last three (well, technically four...) cards (680, 2 x 980, 1080 Ti) have all been EVGA and I've had very good experiences with all them as well. My old 680 and both 980s are still being as daily drivers to this day. I don't think the individual manufacturer makes as much of a difference now as it used to, to be honest. The main difference between them that I see are the specific coolers they use and how aggressive the factory overclocking is on models that feature that.

The 1070 Ti and 1080 would both be very solid choices. If the 1070 Ti is in your price range, go for it. If you can find a refurbed or clearance 1080 for a better prices, you're going to get slightly better performance (we're talking 5% or less, so don't break your back for it) out of it (bear in mind that they're no longer manufacturing the 1080).