Author Topic: So Hyang - Bridge Over Troubled Water.  (Read 3267 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
So Hyang - Bridge Over Troubled Water.
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
So Hyang is a gospel singer in korea. After surviving cervical cancer at 20 and being rendered infertile, her mission is to use her voice to comfort people going through difficult times. She is sometimes known as the "Korean Mariah Carey". I could keep writing for ages about how much I love her singing, but instead, just listen.

Bonus: Here's another track titled "Everyone" or sometimes "It's You Folks". It's an older korean song, and the lyrics are about wanting to be there to comforts someone and give them strength just the way the audience gives the singer strength from being there. So Hyang has remarked that it was one of the hardest songs she's ever had to sing.

And finally: My personal favorite performance of so Hyang. Arirang Alone. This song is a more modern interpretation of Arirang, a folk song in korea, and kind of an unofficial national anthem. Arirang itself has hundreds of regional variations with slightly different harmonies and lyrics, but the melody is more or less the same. This version was written in the 90's and has rewritten the lyrics to represent the desire for both koreas to be united one day. It's written as a love song, presumably between a man and a woman, quoting wikipedia "According to one legend, the name is derived from the story of a bachelor and a maiden who fell in love while picking camellia blossoms near the wharf at Auraji. In one version of the story, the bachelor cannot cross the Auraji to meet the maiden because the water is too high, and they sing a song to express their sorrow. In another version of the story, the bachelor attempts to cross the Auraji and drowns, singing the sorrowful song after he dies."

The vocals in Arirang Alone give me chills every time I hear it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x