Author Topic: Anyone familiar enough with emacs to help me?  (Read 3329 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Anyone familiar enough with emacs to help me?
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:57 AM »
I've been playing around with linux as of late, and I've decided I'd like to try to learn to work with emacs. Of course, since emacs has a learning curve of approximately infinity (only slightly worse than that of Dwarf Fortress), I've gotten stuck with a few things.

So first, I've been trying to figure out how to activate orglink on all major modes, because I like the idea of being able to follow links I leave in comments or text files. But I can't figure out how to actually activate it. I had to install an updated version of org, which I pulled from their own repository with the standard package-install function after adding it to my .emacs file, but I can't actually figure out how to activate it because well I'm not exactly well versed in configuring the .emacs file (I have made a couple minor customizations though).

I'm also trying to figure out how the elpy minor mode works. It's a python minor mode that makes use of virtual environments. I have no experience with python virtual environments to begin with and it seems kinda.... broken. It loads when I enable it, but running elpy-configure doesn't seem to work correctly.

Here's my .emacs in all it's ugly mess if anyone cares.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Anyone familiar enough with emacs to help me?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »
Sorry, I use vim. :(
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Anyone familiar enough with emacs to help me?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:11:10 PM »
Damn, well, it was worth a shot. Guess I'll have to post on /r/emacs or something. My programmer friends from highschool also use vim.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x