Author Topic: 2019 games back-log  (Read 14006 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
2019 games back-log
« on: January 15, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
1. Front Mission 4

I'm back at it, I honestly don't know if I'm going to go nuts like last year, but I think being off my pc in general kinda focuses playing games in my free time over...fucking around on an internet browser on my pc. Both unproductive, but at least with one I can beat games over...doing absolutely nothing. These posts are probably more for me than anything, because I don't have a blog (which I should probably do that, so I'm not spamming) I like looking back at the year to see what I got done.

Game itself, I purchased shortly after release in 2004, I know I got it before world of warcraft came out, and it's been one of those off and on games I'd get 1/3 through, quit, start over a few years later, 1/3 through, ect. I have a few of these games, last year earthbound was one of those games, and the year before that mario rpg was another. It feels REALLY good to get those types of games off the backlog. There's a finite amount of them, and it's only a matter of thinking back to remember which games I have left.

It's ok, really slow pace is primary reason I never finished it, as is the difficulty of the game if you don't have a grasp of the mechanics. Not super hard if you do have a grasp of the systems, but pretty hard if you don't. Armored core, with a turn based rpg battle system, it's neat. Think disgaea with customizable mechs, less ally units on the field, BIGGER LONGER MAPS, no magic, slower gameplay, and leveling doesn't really do anything other than make ep grinding (think skill points to improve your characters) harder.  Ohh and it's the only game I know of with a split story line, probably the most unique feature of this game. You play two casts of characters, one in Europe, one in Venezuela, seperate mech equipment, seperate characters, seperate storylines (which connect late), seperate money, and the game alternates between the two. You'll do a few missions in europe, then go to south america for a few, then back to europe, and it alternates throughout the entire game, and absolutely no gear/levels/money carry over between the two at all. Venezuela will give you more side units to play with on certain missions, and europe has access to radio air strikes and supply drops, so each side will play a little different. It's different, not bad, not good, but unique.

ACTUALLY FINISHED IT THIS TIME, OFF THE LIST, NEXT GAME.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:46:03 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: 2019 games back-log
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
Eh, don't worry about spamming. It's not like this forum is exactly bustling, haha.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Started this game in 2008, finished in 2019. 'nother one bites the dust.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
3. Luigis Mansion

I got this with my launch gamecube...only to finish it last week...

Going back to this, it does feel like a launch game. Could be the interface, or UI, or something, it just feels like a transitional game from the 64 to the new hardware. Which it is...but yknow, actually seeing it first hand is another thing.

I'm not done yet...

4. Wind Waker

I remember why I stopped playing this game, but soldiered through anyway. Good game, not great game. Extremely linear in the beginning, then they just kinda say "hey fuck you, you gotta find 8 triforce maps, then use them to go to 8 locations in the entire ocean to get them just to get to the final dungeon, HAVE FUN!"

I know wii u version fixed it to an extent, but I aint buying a wii u to play a middling zelda game that I already own on gamecube. I'm not sure why the game is praised so much, I mean graphically it still holds up today (the original gamecube version, not even talking HD), but...the ocean sailing is long...and the triforce collection...it's horrible, honestly, horrible.

The amount of games I have to beat, that I got more than 50% of the way through, some 15+ years ago, has to be getting smaller by now. All 4 of these games have been haunting me since I was in high school, so it's good to put them to rest.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »
One thing that bothers me about Wind Waker HD (I've never played the original) is that it has horrific framerate problems due to Nintendo's stubborn insistence on targeting 1080p60. That's all well and good, but the second you go into that fiery cave place the framerate tanks to 10-15fps at parts, which is insanely jarring. I would have much rather seen them target 720p/900p rather than do that. Dunno if the original had issues with that.

And yeah, I can say that even with the improvements to the Wii U version (sailing is twice as fast, apparently?) it's STILL hella tedious to get through it. They claim that the sailing mechanic is a way of disguising load screens, but I don't know a single GameCube (or Wii U, for that matter) game that takes that long to load. I mean, holy shit.

As for the game being praised...well, it's a Zelda game. You saw how much shit people gave GameSpot for daring to give Twilight Princee an 8.8, not to mention the shit Jim Sterling got for giving BotW a 7/10. Those types of Zelda fanboys should be locked up in the interests of public safety, I swear.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
Ohh the classic 8.8. Embarrassing really, looking back at it. Rating games with a number is kinda only for marketing anyway. What makes an 8.8 better than an 8.9? I could give the game a 7, and you a 9, but maybe I like the game more than you do. Scoring a game means nothing. Either way, wind waker is a good, but flawed game.

While I'm here...

5. Rebel Galaxy

Pretty good space trading game I played most the way through in 2016, polished it off the other day.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:18 AM »
Precisely.

It reminds me of the GameFAQs "BEST GAEM EVAR" poll a couple years ago. Historically, Ocarina of Time won every single year until Undertale finally came along and beat it. Suffice to say, fans were legitimately infuriated that their 20 year old game didn't win a popularity contest. If you ended up missing that whole event: trust me, it was hilarious.

Besides, everyone knows that A Link to the Past is really the best Zelda game.

5. Rebel Galaxy

Pretty good space trading game I played most the way through in 2016, polished it off the other day.

I think I'm going to add that to my list. I played that a bit a couple years ago (around 2017, I'm guessing), had a fucking blast, then never touched it again. :|

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
Besides, everyone knows that A Link to the Past is really the best Zelda game.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 03:28:19 AM »
6. Persona Q

Bout goddamn time, good game, but dungeon 4 was so tedious and annoying it literally dragged down THE ENTIRE GAME.

still, with as little free time I have, here's another game for the pile.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
7. Eternal Darkness

Started, didn't finish ~17 years ago. Played from start to finish in a few evenings (playtime ~11 hours).

Fun game, very under appreciated in my opinion.

Chock another decade+ long backlogged game completed. Gonna paint my 20 assembled warhammer minis before selecting another game, might pick another short one, we'll see. Getting a lot of mileage out of my gamecube this year.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Gonna have to check that one out at some point. I didn't really know much about the game until somewhat recently and now I'm kicking myself for missing out on it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
Under appreciated? Ask anyone who's played that game and they will sing it's praise. That game is a cult classic. Easily one of the best games on the GC imo.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 01:18:14 AM »
konichiwa bitches

8. Dragon Quest

While back I got the gba player which lead me to beat advance wars 2 and whatnot. Picked up dragon quest 1+2 for gbc, and tackled the first one.

DQ11 left a good impression, and DQ1 is a good beginning. Pretty interesting, one character, only single enemy encounters, pretty unique for jrpgs to have 1v1 as its only form of combat. Either way, it's simple, short, may require a FAQ to know what to do, but worth playing.

two games left...

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 01:54:58 AM »
Two games left, and so much time left in 2019...

Any idea what you're going to be playing after you get through those?

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:31 PM »
Two games left, and so much time left in 2019...

Any idea what you're going to be playing after you get through those?

A month and some change later, yes...

9. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Probably keep this one breif as well.

Fantastic ost, great setting, ok gameplay, frustrating dungeons (albeit not as bad as persona Q...though sometimes worse...), demon fusion is a bit lacking compared to every other smt/persona game I've played.

Worth playing if you like dungeon crawlers, but dungeon design may put people off. Persona Q 2 is out soon, and I might pass on it after this title. I like first person dungeon crawlers, but maybe I've had too much this year.

Game was ok/10.

One left! Depending on how fast it takes me to get my pc built(currently have mobo, cpu, case, psu, ssd, need a gpu, secondary HDD, and OS), maybe the last one will be a pc release, but who knows.