Author Topic: wut specturr'z playing  (Read 2771 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: wut specturr'z playing
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Speaking of MegaZeux stuff, I added optional save slot support to it recently (very handy for consoles, but desktop users can make use of it as well):

Looks like it's probably going to be in the next release. \o/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
Man, that stuff is so interesting. I am not really qualified to give an educated response (my knowledge is almost 0) but it seems to me similar to a mechanic fixing a car. Vehicle has a problem, and through their own experience they look around in certain areas that correlate to the symptoms.

I swear one of these days i'll get sublime and bugger around with some python (for probably 20 minutes before getting frustrated and quitting, being realistic about myself here). I'm jelly, but i know it takes a lot of work and practice, as with learning anything else. I have a pc now, so I really got no excuses other than, not enough free time, using said free time to play vidya instead.

It's like exercise, learning a new language (Я могу читать по русски хотя бы)and coding, three things i wanna do, but I don't. TOO MANY THINGS NOT ENOUGH TIME, or energy.

Curious though, I assume you do this as a profession, how is hobby coding? Still have motivation to tinker around with side projects after work? I think small projects sound fun, maybe bugger around with a raspberry pi project or something.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty much exactly like fixing a car. This is probably one of the few cases where car analogies work, in my experience. :P

I know what you mean as far as the lack of free time goes. Being an adult is overrated.

And yes, I work as a full-time developer for an optical laboratory. Unless I find myself seriously burned out I don't generally have a problem going home and doing some hobby coding. That's when I do my work with MegaZeux, as well as my other projects.

I think a large part of why I'm able to do that is because there's a pretty sharp difference between the sort of stuff I do at work (business applications and web sites) and what I do at home. As a hobby, I generally find myself either working on stuff like MegaZeux, or doing research projects (writing a raycaster, texture converters, reverse engineering, etc). The only time I've had any real overlap between the two is when I wrote a pygame-based widget system for some Raspberry Pi-based tablets for the lab floor at work. That was a fun project.

The Raspberry Pi is a great place to start. It's a reasonably powerful system that has everything you need for development already installed, including plenty of samples. The only real downside is that it's running a flavor of Linux, which may be a bit of a learning curve in and of itself.

Also, since the stupid Twitter plugin I have refuses to let me simply link to the site, here's a couple of things that I wanted to link to above:

Raycaster:

Texture Compression:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:51:29 AM by Spectere »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯