Author Topic: wut specturr'z playing  (Read 31418 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
wut specturr'z playing
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
Kind of a personal spinoff to vlad's gaming threads.

Current 2019 goals:

1. Focus on Doom tricks. I've recently managed to pull off a series of both guided and guideless glides while playing casually (MAKE SENSE OF THAT), so I might as well keep at it and start lowering my time. I'm not aiming for WR, but some nice PBs would be pretty fantastic.

2. Hyrule Warriors grinding. I'd like to get as many characters to at least level 100 as possible. Link is already there, with his closest runners (Zelda, Skull Kid, Impa, Linkle) sitting in the mid-70s to low-80s. I'd also like to clear the first four adventure maps (the first one is already done, so that leaves the Great Sea, as well as the Master Quest versions of the classic and Great Sea maps).

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn. I bought the definitive edition cheap when I picked up my PS4 Pro but I have yet to play it. That needs to change.

4. (added 2019-02-13) Rebel Galaxy.. Had a ton of fun with this a couple years ago and just never picked it up again. Whoops.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:32:25 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: wut specturr'z playing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
By doom tricks do you mean something like...this?

I mean it's quake...but yknow, when I think tricks, I think Q3 defrag.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Nooooope, haha. Well, not yet, anyway. Q3A people are on a whole 'nother level entirely.

I'm aiming more for speedrunning stuff, sort of like this: Invalid Tweet ID
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:47:37 AM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:24 AM »
Added Rebel Galaxy. Thanks for the reminder, vlad. :P

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:13:57 PM »
It's a criminally underlooked game. Only $20 (at launch, not sure about now), great music, fun combat, nice progression. It's a little on the repetitive side, but it's all good. I think I bought whatever the fastest ship in the game was, avoiding combat and doing the high end non combat missions till I could afford some of the big boats.

Really enjoyed my time with it. Sequels plz.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
The music was one of the huge draws for me. The first time I entered a battle and the music kicked in I just yelled "oh HELL YEAH." It's pretty much Space Swashbuckler Simulator.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:17:49 AM »
2. Hyrule Warriors grinding. I'd like to get as many characters to at least level 100 as possible. Link is already there, with his closest runners (Zelda, Skull Kid, Impa, Linkle) sitting in the mid-70s to low-80s. I'd also like to clear the first four adventure maps (the first one is already done, so that leaves the Great Sea, as well as the Master Quest versions of the classic and Great Sea maps).

As of early this morning (I have a really screwy sleep schedule, okaaaaay?) the standard Great Sea map has been fully cleared (that is to say: all non-respawning items have been collected).

I'm also going to be speed running the main story (I'm working on doing a bunch of initial planning before I start committing time to practice runs--I'll probably update this thread with my progress on that) for a charity gaming marathon that some of my friends are hosting in October.

Speaking of charity marathons, if you want to see an absolute clusterfuck of a Doom II co-op UV/HMP playthrough that I was involved in, here you go: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/411472245?t=

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:39:46 PM »
How long you been speed running? I know you did Metroid, but doing multiple games gotta take a lot of time, and you have to like the game enough to play it for months on end.

Only game I had like that was mass effect 1, and it wasn't even that fast for speedrun standards. ~4.5 hours.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 01:53:12 AM »
I guess you could say I've done speedrunning since the first time I saw Quake Done Quick, though I tend to do it somewhat casually. If a trick requires excessive grind to pull off (see: OoT any%) then I'm definitely not interested. Really, I'm more about self-improvement than world records, mostly since I don't have the attention span to grind a single game for that length of time.

That's the thing that I like about the marathons that my friends host: being small events they tend to be pretty casual by comparison. While finishing games swiftly is obviously encouraged, you're not really going to see many top 10 players there (aside from EnchantressOfNumbers, but she's a local and a friend).

I do get plenty of practice beforehand (and I'm taking the Hyrule Warriors thing a bit more seriously than most, as I actually do have a real shot at nailing a WR on Definitive Edition--the boards are pretty barren) and get a very solid idea of what my capabilities are before I start. Like, for their fall Extra Life 2018 event I ended up running Metroid: Zero Mission any% and just couldn't consistently nail the bomb jump timing for early Varia (2005 Ian would be so disappointed) so I changed strats and went for a slightly longer route. To be fair, I only knew that I was running that game like a week before the event, so I didn't have much time to actually get good at it again. Regardless, I still managed an acceptable time (IIRC, it was around 1:25:?? RTA and 1:15:?? in-game--my PB is ~0:43:?? in-game).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
Here's some Doom shit. Some of it's old, most of it is fairly new, but it offers a pretty good idea of where I stand with a lot of the fun stuff.

Doom - E1M4
I was able to SR40 onto the ledge to do an early yellow key grab. I don't know why I never tried that before, it's actually pretty easy.

The exit pit jump (which obsoletes the early yellow key grab strat) was a bit beyond my reach. I don't know if my angle was off or if I just couldn't gain enough speed. That's the largest jump you can clear with an SR50 run, so it could be either one of the above.

Doom - E2M6

The void glide on this map was my first time actually nailing a glide in Doom. I'm not particularly consistent with it yet, but I was able to set a 43 second PB by combining a lucky setup with a quick exit switch press (pressing the exit switch from the void is a lot harder than it sounds).

Doom - E2M7

This is the big one (for me, anyway). It took me about a dozen tries but I was able to nail the rocket jump to the exit that skips, like, most of the level. I practically squealed when I managed to pull this off.

Doom - E3M6

Managed to set a PB of 9 seconds time to get to the secret exit by pressing the exit switch through the wall (3 seconds over WR, which is like an eternity for a map this short, but I was pleased to get sub-10).

Doom - E3M7

I haven't played this one all that recently, but I crushed this map at the fall Extra Life marathon that my friends held. Obviously not a 110% optimal run, but it was a fantastic footnote to an already solid (by my standards) episode 3 run. Managed to get all of the major skips on the first or second try and (I think) managed to make a labyrinthine map look reasonably straight-forward.

Doom - E4M1

Well, first of all, I managed to do a UVMAX (Ultra-Violence, 100% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets) clear of this map. If you've ever played this map you'll know why that's noteworthy. If not, look it up on YouTube. Fucking yikes.

Secondly, red key grab. Not too difficult, but a little tricky to do quickly while under fire from a bunch of hitscanners.

Doom 2 - MAP06

The jump at the beginning is a bit tricky, but being able to single cycle the blue key is satisfying as hell.

Basically, instead of just riding the lift down into the titular crusher, run at an angle to the left. If you pick up enough speed and get your angle and positioning right you can slip through the bars and make an early jump to the switch that lowers the blue key lift. Hit the switch, rush to the lift that has the blue key, SR40 across the nukage, then jump on the elevator back to the beginning area right as it's about to go up. Fuckin' love it.

Doom 2 - MAP13

I was able to do the blue key grab. A bit finicky but I eventually managed to get a pretty comfortable setup down for it. Basically, you SR50 into the door that the blue key is behind and your character will push into the wall enough to grab it. Harder than the red key grab in E4M1 but nothing too noteworthy.

Doom 2 - MAP16

Pretty straightforward glide into the exit. This skips the red and blue keys and makes a fairly rough map fairly easy.

Doom 2 - MAP18

Managed a 30 second UV-speed (Ultra-Violence any%, pistol start) time on this map. Really fun to run, not quite as much fun to play through casually.

Doom 2 - MAP19

Managed to do the blue and/or yellow key skip by doing a guideless glide through the end gates. This is the video clip that I linked earlier in this thread.

Doom 2 - MAP21

I managed to (after a lot of attempts) do a keyless exit on this map.  The glide through the yellow key gate is at least guided, but it's made a lot tougher with everything shooting at you.

The blue key door skip is easy enough that I'd pretty much been doing it since the game came out (seriously, you just walk against the corner and if your angle is even close to correct you'll just walk through the gap. That's it. I don't know how they didn't catch that).

The red key skip was...rough. I'm not too sure about the exact technical details behind this, but I have a feeling it exploits the same things as E2M6's void glide. Basically, you have to push through the blue gate, glide between the blue and red gates, jam yourself into the corner, move in such a way that your weapon moves like you're running at full speed, then fire a rocket at the blue gate. I think that does one of two things: it either pushes your hitbox across the teleporter linedef that leads to the exit chamber or causes the entire player object to move enough units in one frame to bypass collision detection.

Regardless, I managed to do it after about 40-50 tries. Felt good, man.

Doom 2 - MAP22

Managed to do the blue key skip (a glide between the bars in the northeast wing of the map). It's not too difficult as far as glides go, but it's really awkward due to how they're angled.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »

Slight revision: working on speedrunning this.

Also, collecting all of the skulltulas in the story mode missions. I can't adequately describe how annoying some of the hard mode one are to get (the base ones all just require you to get 1000 KOs, which is easy to do on your first run through if you know to do it).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
Still on that dynasty zelda grind? I honestly don't think ive seen a single dynasty warriors speedrun in my life.

Going back to the old post, doom got me wanting...doom...

I have "The Ultimate DOOM" on the steams, but all I did with it was download decaduple doom (every enemy spawn, spawns 10 of said enemy...1 imp = 10 imps, 3 imps = 30 imps) and enjoyed that, but never had the urge to beat one. Never too late to start...

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »
Still on that dynasty zelda grind? I honestly don't think ive seen a single dynasty warriors speedrun in my life.

The leaderboards are pretty barren. From what I've done so far it sort of seems like I could very well be on WR pace, haha. I need to get a recording/streaming solution together soon.

I have "The Ultimate DOOM" on the steams, but all I did with it was download decaduple doom (every enemy spawn, spawns 10 of said enemy...1 imp = 10 imps, 3 imps = 30 imps) and enjoyed that, but never had the urge to beat one. Never too late to start...

Okay yeah, I need to try that. :O

I've gotten quickly beating Doom (nothing like WR pace; more like getting well under par on every level) down to a science for the most part, so that should make things very interesting. The only level I even remotely have any issues with throughout all of Doom and Doom 2 is E4M6, because fuck that cyberdemon at the end.

Oh jeez, does Decaduple Doom multiply the boss spawns as well? If so: yikes.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 08:41:09 PM »
I downloaded it years ago because of this video. RIP one of the better lets players on the internet, probably got a life or something.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »
The leaderboards are pretty barren. From what I've done so far it sort of seems like I could very well be on WR pace, haha. I need to get a recording/streaming solution together soon.

Oh, yeah definitely need a setup if there's a chance of getting a WR.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x