Author Topic: wut specturr'z playing  (Read 31409 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: wut specturr'z playing
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2020, 01:24:33 AM »
I played Cyberpunk 2077 for about 4 hours tonight. Woo boy, does it feel expansive. Interactions feel really natural, and I'm already getting a ton of side quests. For a company that hasn't created a shooter, the gunplay has been pretty sweet so far. Melee is nuanced enough to be engaging, but not so complicated that it's unwieldy. Fists and melee weapons work the same way, so you don't have to memorize a bunch of conflicting systems.

I didn't run into any serious issues. No crashes or anything like that, and I haven't run into a t-pose yet. My poor GPU isn't too happy, though. The game started up with everything basically maxed out at 1440p and my venerable 1080 Ti managed a whopping 40fps. Whoops! I bumped the resolution scale back to 75% (1080p) and dropped some of the settings to medium. The game still looks great and it averages 65-70fps now. No noticeable issues with frame pacing or the like (even when I was rocking 40fps in the opening scenes!), so it seems like the engine is pretty well optimized at least. Considering this is one of the only games where I've had to lower the settings on my card to get it to maintain 60+, I really can't complain. Still, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a shiny new RTX 30xx card (for that and HL:Alyx, since I run into occasional reprojection on my Index…my old Rift S had a low enough resolution that it wasn't an issue).

The worst bug I've run into so far with CP2077 is the car's self-driving feature. The game has a feature that allows you to press V and summon, uh, V's car. I've kinda found that it's more of a detonation switch. The car doesn't seem to have collision while it's moving, so I've had it stop inside of a solid object before, after which it promptly explodes. Thankfully you can just summon it again and it'll appear, albeit with fewer doors on it. Whoops.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
I have been tempted to making a thread for this game since I think it might be popular enough to warrant it. I played 3-4 hours yesterday and I'm still figuring stuff out so I don't have much to say sans "wow, the character creation aspect of the game IS x rated".

Game runs fine for me at 1440p(rtx 2060), tho I just got a 4k 50 inch tv (these things are dirt cheap now a days I am in disbelief how little I paid for this thing) and I want to see what settings I need to fiddle with this fucker to get it running at decent framerate at 4k with my setup (if I can). But it looks great, and preforms great in the little time I've played so far. Having issues trying to stream however, gameplay looks fine, but stream is very...jerky? Going to need to troubleshoot that later.

Bugs since people are talking about em, the mission where you meet corp bitch lady, you meet up with jackie to pick him up...the car and jackie disappeared...but I think that only ended up helping me in the dialogue so I wasn't that mad.

Too early to give real opinions, but with a decent pc the game runs great, fast load times, no issues alt tabbing or anything.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
I'm guessing your monitor is FreeSync/G-Sync? If so, that would explain why it's stuttering when you stream. I'll bet your system is dipping below 60fps and the stream is skipping frames as a result. You wouldn't see it on your display since its refresh rate dynamically adjusts, but it would be pretty apparent in a recording.

I just ended up getting to Act 2 as a character with a Streetkid background (and a normal-sized penis, 'cuz%u2026y'know) and the game has only been getting better. I ran into my first softlock just after Act 1, but the event worked properly on the second run. Gotta say, I wasn't exactly sure how to rate the voice acting, but the actors have been crushing it in the part that I'm in.

Kinda seems like the 1.03 patch gave me a few more FPS on my GPU. Kinda seems like I've been hovering closer to 75fps with my current settings rather than 70fps. I might turn some of the settings back up, since it seems like the resolution scaling is what really helped the most.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
boo hoo cyberpunk is criminally short boo hoo the main story is 5 hours long boo hoo theres no content boo hoo

"cough"

I have only just entered the part of the game where the entire city is unlocked...are the masses of crybabies that plague the cyberpunk reddit even playing this game? Because I think they're spending more time bitching about the game rather than playing it.

Only just starting to click why you use tech weapons, ping hack = see enemies through walls, charged blast from a tech weapon...and a few perks = I do not require line of sight to murder anymore.

You still enjoying the game? Once all of my side missions are either done, or very hard (having completed one, very hard just means do later when you've leveled up), I may do a few primary missions, been going on side content HARD in the quest for money, weapons, and power.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
I don't get it. I mean, there are plenty of valid criticisms for the game (especially if you bought the XBone/PS4 versions…oof), but I'd be hard pressed to consider the story and longevity as flaws.

It does kinda feel like the launch was rushed (the game could have probably used another six months of dev time), but considering CDPR's reputation for sticking with games until they're done and polished (see: the entire Witcher series) I'm not super concerned. They've already announced that there's going to be story expansions down the road, which leads me to believe that the journey has only begun. Kinda makes me wonder how much of an overlap there is between the people who are bitching about how rushed the game is and the people who sent fucking death threats to the devs over the delays. HMMM.

Then there's that whole "global pandemic" thing. I'm sure that didn't impact development at all.

Yeah, I'm definitely still enjoying it. I'm only about 15 hours in (taking it kinda slow to avoid burnout, and because I have a lot of little projects I've been tinkering with) but the content still feels pretty fresh. I have a pretty good variety of side missions that I'm going to plow through before I get back to the main story.

I'm running a tech/stealth build, throwing some points into reflexes from time to time in case things get messy. My current method for getting perk points has been to pick someone off from a distance with a suppressed revolver (are all future-tech revolvers Nagants or something?) for points in pistols, then hiding their body to get points in stealth. That well's going to run dry soon, but I might as well drink from it while I can.

One thing that I kinda think is worth noting is that the in-dialogue animations in this game are seriously incredible. From what I've seen every character has their own unique body language and tics. Also, being able to kinda sorta hang out with muh boy Keanu is pretty sweet.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »
I was having second thoughts on going 20 tech to start, but having played a lot more of the game...tech is a good stat. Crafting is good, and SHOOTING THROUGH GODDAMN EVERYTHING is good. Take the perk to shoot through walls better and make sure to have the ping hack handy, I clear out buildings without even entering them.

Then because I am going for "fun" instead of "optimal", I decided to max out intelligence to try out hacking...ohh boy...ohh boy. Legendary ping is fuckin busted, it lets you target and hack things through walls, so if walls were already useless enough, they don't exist anymore. Ping + 1-2 hacks = dead everything. This game is so silly, and I am still having fun.

I am comitted to doing every single side quest before I touch the story, so I still got a little while before I beat the game, but it's still a good time.

I assume you're dumping more points into cool and reflex? The two stats I am completely ignoring, how are those going for you? The only two weapons ive touched in my entire game are the tech shotgun and sniper, I haven't even used anything else period except unarmed to get perks from levels.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
I tend to favor technical ability over reflex. I basically have enough points in reflex to ensure that I can pop heads if necessary. I also have enough points in intelligence to ensure that I can quickhack often and effectively.

My general priority system:

1. Cool / Technical Ability.
2. Intelligence
3. Reflex
9999. Body (might put a few points into this for perks, but it's definitely not important for how I've been playing)

As far as weapons go, I recently scored a tech precision rifle that I plan to get a whole bunch of use out of. That gives me a pretty nice trifecta: suppressed revolver for stealth kills, assault rifle for when I need to put a lot of lead down range, and a tech precision rifle for pretty much everything else.

I was planning to run with SMGs instead of assault rifles, since I generally prefer those in games, but the way they implemented them sort of makes them feel like worse rifles. SMGs in real life run on pistol ammo (typically 9x19mm or .45ACP), while the ones in Cyberpunk take rifle ammo despite doing relatively low damage per shot and having a noticeably higher cyclic rate. If they used pistol ammo I could see them being a nice way to round out a shooty build, but as it stands now they just seem to chew up valuable rifle ammo without really bringing anything to the table.

Maybe I just haven't found a good SMG yet. I dunno.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »
I don't think I've used any full auto weapons outside of the first few missions of the game, but i mean shotguns and snipers'll do that. Body is good since I'm using shotguns primarily, but I only need 11 points to get what I want out of it, only going full 20 because not enough leftover stats to get anything nice out of reflex or cool, and the athletics perks are good no matter how you play.

Changed the difficulty to very hard after finding out you get more exp that way, but at level 41...the game feels easier on very hard now than it did on normal when I first started. You do end up VERY powerful as the levels accrue. Shooting through walls at an 86% crit rate and 180something percent crit damage, while also having the hacking skills of a god, feelsgoodman. Maybe if I do another playthrough I'll try pistols, I hear they're very potnet in this game, but, I'm starting to think everything is good with gear/perks.

Not going to spoil anything, but have you done the side mission chain "the hunt" yet? I just finished it and...could be one of the most fucked up disturbing things I have seen in a videogame. Like an episode of CSI a bit too fucked up to be aired on tv.

*edit*

side tangent, you find the level 20 in a certain SKILL perks totally pointless? I mean some are good, but do you have level 20 in any skill yet? Because 61 hours in the game and I sure as hell don't. I want 20 engineering...but despite using ONLY FUCKING TECH WEAPONS, shooting through walls and whatnot for the past 60 hours, it's only level 15...and that is with some engineering specific grinding...I might tap out before I'm done with the game to be honest.

Not a big deal, but why have perks in the game even a dedicated player won't be able to access until literally all content in the game has been exhausted, and grinding after that?

*THINKING OUT LOUD*

I second the animations in this game are 10/10 master class. People move around like people, not like robots (ironic since I literally only met one single npc who isn't part machine), it "feels" real. Body language, and even things like "rolls eyes" come off as genuine. They set a pretty high bar here.

Another observation, Takemura voice actor speaks Japanese, and English, and his accent screams "voice actor is actually japanese english second language". There's a side quest where you save a korean dude, and the subtitles show up as korean (don't know korean, but can read hangul), and I also know what korean sounds like, so it's cool to see this hangul text being translated into english real time like the google translate in the main characters head is working as he speaks. And when you first come across the voodoo boys, they speak a different language I ASSUMED AS HAITIAN CREOLE, and 60 seconds after this, they confirmed in game.

There's a lot of attention to detail going on here, and a lot of stuff I'm not even catching (references and whatnot) but I already seen elon musk, hideo kojima, and a death stranding BB in game, it's good stuff. I'm having a hard time saying anything bad about the game to be honest...the massive skyrim sized crater I have needed to be filled is being filled, and it feels good. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:57:50 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »
I used a shotty for a little bit in early game, but I'm not really tanky enough to make full use of it. I'm planning to do a meat mountain/guns blazin' build in the future, and I'm sure that when I do that I'll probably use them extensively. Revolvers honestly feel pretty great to me. Even in early game I was able to find a revolver that can do 1500 crit headshots even with a suppressor attached.

I haven't done The Hunt yet, but your description intrigues me. I'm looking forward to it.

I don't have anything up to 20 yet (I think my highest skill perk level is around 10-12 right now?). It definitely feels like a lot of the higher end perks are more nice-to-haves than must-haves. I think the biggest reason why I think they'd pad the game out with those is for future content. I mean, some of the Witcher 3's DLCs have had essentially an entire game's worth of content in them. I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I really loved the way they handle different languages, particularly that little detail where if your character doesn't have a language module installed then they can't auto-translate the language. Up until the introduction of the Voodoo Boys I assumed that the subtitles were more provided as a service to the player. Turns out, not so much!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
I've been playing a fair amount of VR lately, mostly fiddling around with H3VR and Boneworks. The former has easily the best firearms handling I've ever seen in VR and the latter is just a fantastic experience overall.

One thing that's noteworthy about H3VR is the way it makes use of the Index touchpad, particularly on things like semi-automatic pistols. You can literally operate the slide lock lever using the left side of the trackpad. If the slide is locked back, flicking down will release the slide. If you pull the slide back, push up, and release the slide, it'll lock. Pressing the bottom of the trackpad actuates the magazine release. It's hard to overstate how natural it all feels. It's just kind of a shame that the actual combat scenarios that the game has are a bit on the meh side.

The pistol slides are also interesting in that they can interact with the environment, and with other objects:

As far as Boneworks goes, that sucker is practically a VR physics sandbox that's guaranteed to make you sick if you don't have your VR legs. Its firearms handling is somewhere between arcadey and realistic, but the physics! Man, the physics. Nothing beats being able to hook a crowbar onto a zip line and pull yourself up, firing at enemies as you slide past. Similarly, nothing beats being able to pin down their headcrab analogues and repeatedly stabbing them until they stop moving. HL:Alyx played it safe in a lot of ways in order to appeal to a broader market, but Boneworks pulled out all the stops in order to make the most immersive sim possible for experienced VR users, and despite that still manages to be relatively jank-free (oh, there's jank, but far less than what I would have expected).

Payday 2 VR is also a thing that my friends and I have been playing for the past couple of months. Kinda seems like they reversed course on some of the worst additions to the game over the years and in general created a fun experience. Considering the underpinnings of the game, the VR version runs way better than it has any right to, though I suspect that it will eventually become non-viable when the difficulty gets to a certain point.

Aside from that, Spelunky 2 and Drake Hollow have both proven to be really fun Christmas gifts. When I get over my current VR fixation I'm going to need to dump more hours into both of those.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
I ended up earning the Lazy Bastard achievement in Factorio last night. Basically, that stipulates that you have to launch the rocket (thus winning the game) while only manually crafting 111 items. This is actually more stringent than it sounds, as every single component (including stuff like iron gear wheels) counts toward this total. There also isn't much wiggle room, as you need to to craft 104 items in order to bootstrap automated production and get your first assembler. I also upped the ante a bit by refusing to use any of my stored blueprints (kind of a mixture of my own designs as well as efficient setups I saw online and liked).

The beginning is definitely the hardest part, as you basically have to keep changing that assembler to craft whatever you need at the time, but it gets easier as you build up little mini-malls, but then it starts to get tedious as your base expands. When everything is small and compact, you just walk over to a chest and yoink whatever you need, but as soon as you have to start covering more ground, you find yourself having to go farther and farther away just to get some conveyor belts. Then, later on, you unlock the logistics system and it goes back to (mostly) being a typical game of Factorio.

But yeah, all in all, that's a nice, shiny gold achievement for my Steam profile, and at this point in time I can call myself a 2.7%'er. Honestly, out of all my Steam achievements right now (of which I apparently have 3290), I'd say this is the one I'm happiest about.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »
I kinda dropped off after trying to get nuclear power working, the game seems to get exponentially more complicated the more you play. Not at all a knock on the game, but it's a good time investment to get going proper that's for sure. Game is a lot harder than it's given credit for.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2021, 12:49:50 PM »
I actually skipped right from coal to nuclear in my lazy bastard factory. The ratios on nuclear are kinda weird and it definitely takes more of an investment to jumpstart a plant. However, I was a bit late when it came to getting a proper logistics setup in my lazy bastard game (mostly because advanced oil processing is the bane of my existence) and laying down solar fields by hand is such a drag that I kept putting it off...and off...and off...

I ended up finishing the game with red belts for the same reason: by the time I actually bothered to start producing lubricant I was at the endgame. :P

It's going to be nice to be able to throw on some QoL mods and start playing the game a bit more casually again.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2021, 05:03:50 PM »
Forgot to mention that I played through Buddy Simulator 1984 a couple of times. Kinda hard to say too much about it that isn't already on the Steam store page without spoiling things, but if you like games like Undertale or OneShot this one will probably be right up your alley.

I currently have two out of four endings. My first run through was relatively complete (I didn't really miss too much, all things considered) and it took about four hours. It sort of felt like the game overstayed its welcome to a degree. It wasn't too egregious, but I feel that it could have easily made its point just as well in a 3 hour session, especially given that endings 1, 2, and 3 all require you to complete the entire story (with ending 4 requiring you to go through about 20-25% of it), and the requirements for earning endings 1 and 3 are fairly strict.

There is a combat system vaguely reminiscent of Super Mario RPG (albeit simplified) introduced later on, but it didn't feel good to play at all with the default settings. So, in SMRPG you could tap a button (X, I think?) right as the attack is about to land in order to deal additional damage. BS1984 kind of expands upon that by applying it to blocking/dodging and by making it so that you need to press the right key to hit at all. The problem is that with the default settings, the key for attacks is randomized (the one for defending is static, thankfully), the crit window is very small, and if you press the wrong key you miss completely. The main issue with this is that the attack key can be any key on the keyboard, so what you generally have to do is shuffle your hands to the home row, smack the key the game tells you to press, and then go back to the arrow keys.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the combat system were fundamentally interesting, but it's really not. You can have a party of three characters, each of whom have a whopping two moves: one normal move and one move with a cooldown. When it comes to the game overstaying its welcome, that's largely thanks to the thoroughly uninteresting combat system, limited enemy roster, and limited move pool. Because of this you'll want all of your hits to be critical, and having a random key makes that virtually impossible. It's a little fun at first in a Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (or Beatmania DaDaDa!!...yes, Beatmania Teaches Typing is a real thing, and yes, I own a copy) sort of way but it very quickly loses its luster. Fortunately, there is a "one-handed mode" in the options (which I highly recommend using) that forces attacks to use the fixed keys used by the defending system (A/S/D, with each key corresponding to one of your three party members). Some attacks that hit multiple times will still require you to press a random key, but those moves seem to be cooldown moves, and from what I can tell none of them crit.

Aside from the combat being generally uninspired and taking up way too much time, the only other real complaint I have is that the audio mixing is a bit buggered. It's generally fine, but then you'll go into a certain event of jump into a certain screen and the audio will just be way too loud. Probably not the best game to play with headphones for that reason alone.

Despite that, I definitely recommend playing through it. It's a bit of a whirlwind experience, but it's one that I'm glad I experienced.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2021, 06:35:51 PM »
I... I don't recall ever learning about beatmania teaches typing... That's awesome.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x