Author Topic: wut specturr'z playing  (Read 31411 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: wut specturr'z playing
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2022, 12:05:15 AM »
Yeah, walking sims are kind of an odd paradox. I find that it's rewarding to go in blind and just sort of absorb whatever they have to offer. I've done that for the mod, TSP:HD, and TDP:UD, and it's been a pretty fulfilling experience.

Just to offer an alternative example of a similar gameplay style, Gone Home is an example of how your mind tends to fill in a ton of gaps before you realize what actually happened. Watching a YouTube video where someone is exploring the house in their own way, interjecting their thoughts and opinions, kinda dilutes the experience for the viewer, and seeing the ending removes the point of getting that same experience for yourself.

It's pretty awful in terms of game design when you think about it, but I tend to not think of them less as games and more as interactive experiences. It's more akin to someone reading a book to you and telling you their opinions on each chapter before moving to the next one, or having someone commentate on a movie.

Oh, on another note: unfortunately, they wound up introducing a very Companion Cube-esque construct in TSP:UD. Expect a ton of Internet cringe for the next year or so.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: wut specturr'z playing
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2022, 12:49:21 AM »
I just finished up MAP27, including the, erm, secret part. Speaking of that secret part: I managed to beat it first try. I ate two rockets pretty much right at the start because I'm a dumbass, but I was able to snag a megasphere and stay in the fight as the arena continued to open up. Holy hell, is that part fun. I wish I were recording that.

I've been live streaming Valiant, so I now have a recording of me doing a deathless clear of the Final Countdown secret: https://youtu.be/RJHKjcdf73g?t=15460
"This is a machine for making cows."