Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000  (Read 4471 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Warhammer 40,000
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
This both belongs in gaming, and creation station, since it's both a game, and a craft.

Anyone know 40k, or play, or dabble, or know what the hell it is?

I've been interested for the past...decade? Bought a starter box long ago, realized it was way over my head and gave the thing away to a friend. Few months ago that same friend was telling me he's into it, and a few other mutual friends are into it, so why not, I bought a few boxes...two months later...

...not much progress, currently stripping my 8 genestealers because I found I liked hive fleet tiamet color scheme (in picture). I have a lot to learn/do/buy before I can even play a normal game of 40k. Before I even made my first purchase, I knew I would go slow, else, why bother. It's expensive and time consuming, and I need a ton of stuff. But it's cool, 40k universe is REALLY cool (pretty much the ultimate dystopian universe, nobody is good, everybody is bad, and everybody wants everybody else dead), and it's a non gaming, non computer thing I can do that gets me to assemble and paint and whatnot.

Going with a tyranid army, the lore is great, and the big monsterous creatures are cool enough to make me want to collect said faction. Being a swarm army, that one guy in the picture which took me nearly an hour to get that crude result...I know I'm going to need 60 of em...I have 12, and that one is the only one painted so far...and...

IT AINT EVEN DONE, I need to color the gun (maybe purple), need to get the eyes and the gun eye done (probably yellow) ontop of...maybe a black wash? I know I'm missing a few steps that make a model pop, so whatever that is, I'll have to get it sorted. Once I know all what I'm doing, I'll get a list down of what all steps I need to do, and I'll do the remaining 11 I have assembly line style one step for all 11, then the next, till they're done...then my 8 genestealers after...

...then buy more stuff, assemble more stuff, paint more stuff, as is warhammer.

Will probably update whenever I get my current batch of assembled and primed models painted (20 in total). I put a restriction on buying any more stuff until I paint those, as to reduce a painting backlog, why buy what I cant even work on yet.

Anyone else here remotely interested in the hobby? If any of y'all know how to paint, I haven't picked up a paint brush in 20 years and it shows, I need a few pointers.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Warhammer 40,000
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
I know of 40K and have played a couple of games (with my friend's army), but I can't say that I'm a huge tabletop gamer, sadly. I don't really have the attention span for it. :s

I love the character designs and lore, though.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »
It's not for everyone. I wasn't ready for the money/time/effort investment when I tried a decade back. Now, starting to enjoy it.

Still work in progress but I'm starting to improve the look. Soon as I get one fully completed, I can go full assembly line mode. In the meantime still experimenting and trying to learn new things to get the look i want. At least for troops, there's many of them so I can do 5 different things on 5 different models to see what works.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:59:17 AM »
Just realized that I forgot to comment on your space bugs: I like em! I think all of the tyranid armies I've seen in person (which admittedly aren't that many) have had brown or otherwise darker chitin. The white look is pretty nifty.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »

slowly....and i do mean SLOWLY working on my horde, genestealers assembled, just need to finish my 60 termies...and the big ones...and paint everything...

Gonna purchase an airbrush to speed up the process, so gonna leave these bad boys unpainted till I make that purchase, this hobby aint cheap.

Starting to look good though, having groups of guys now.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »
Looking good!

Definitely looks like quite an undertaking. How much time have you put into it so far?

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
While I haven't got much done since then (almost nothing), 9th edition is coming, and uhh "cough"

While I have a tyranid army not even 10% completed...those necrons look real good...

SO I MAY HAVE SPLIT THE BOX WITH A FRIEND OF MINE DONT JUDGE

More progress on my existing army in the coming weeks whenever I get the airbrush working.

(ohh and in the previous picture to get that far...IDK IF IM SLOW OR SHIT TAKES A LONG TIME, but maybe 30-40 hours)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:33:43 AM by vladgd »