Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 3509 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
The Outer Worlds
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:38 AM »
I heard a lot of people describe this as "Fallout 4 in Space," mostly because Obsidian did New Vegas, yadda yadda.

See, that's not true at all. Unlike Fallout 4, this game is actually good.

*troll face*

But yeah, I'm about five hours in right now and just got off the first planet. The game definitely does resemble titles from Bethesda's stable, but instead of being based on Bethesda's mutilated version of the Gamebryo engine it's based on Unreal Engine 4. Rock solid so far and plays well on my 1080 Ti (ultra at 4K, though I did bump the render scale down to 80% to keep the framerate locked at 60; could probably tweak it further to squeeze some more pixels out of it but I don't see the need to). I had one minor issue where the sounds would cut off prematurely and eventually stop playing altogether around the 2h30m mark, but a quick restart (and I do mean quick—this game runs really well) resolved the issue. There is some minor object pop-in, but how noticeable it ends up being seems to be pretty variable.

My gut feeling is telling me that you're not going to see same level of expansiveness that you do in Bethesda titles after seeing how the first area is handled, but I'd much rather have a handful of rich, densely packed 750m² (rough guess based on distances walked) areas than a relatively sparse 16mi² one.

But anyway, it's getting late so I'm just going to finish this off real quick. First impressions are very positive. If it turns into a complete dumpster fire another hour in I'm sure I'll bitch about it, but so far I've been having a ton of fun with it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
I just obtained a copy myself. Looking forward to a better fallout than fallout experience. Also, it would be best described as "Fallout: New Vegas in space, with a not shit production time and stable game engine" considering obsidian actually made F:NV.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »
Yeah, I was just quoting what I saw online. I mentioned in the first paragraph that Obsidian made F:NV. I'm honestly surprised how well it turned out considering how badly Bethesda fucked them over.

Also, one thing that I didn't mention about The Outer Worlds is how good the shooting feels. It almost feels like they developed an FPS and then bolted TSO/FO-style RPG elements on top of it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:13:18 PM »
Yeah, the gunplay feels really nice. It's a damn shame Bethesda treated Obsidian so poorly during the production of F:NV. If they'd had the time to really do what they wanted I feel like that game could have been so much better than it already was.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x