Author Topic: The Thread of Extreme Happiness  (Read 664 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Thread of Extreme Happiness
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
Yeah, wsl1 was interesting, but it had a lot of restrictions. Tbh what I'm waiting for is proper virtualized GPU access. Right now the only opengl accelerated stuff is glx, which only supports opengl 1.4. Chromium, for example, uses a bunch of opengl es for rendering, which doesn't work in wsl, and so it has to fall back on software rendering, which performs terribly. And the various options emacs for browsers are unworkable too. Xwidget webkit browser crashes, emacs application framework browser (also built on webkit) crashes. Eww doesn't seem to support javascript, and renders poorly even in the best case. I want to be able to use org capture with a browser in emacs but that will have to wait until the opengl translation layer for directx/d3d (and the paravirtualized GPU stuff) in linux comes out. Ugh
Still, I like being able to use linux stuff without leaving windows. Having to reboot any time I wanted to use linux was a huge pain and I just ended up not using it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 10:35:39 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmight need to stop being influenced by youtube to spend money.

Was in the market for a knife, bought a kniIMMEDIATELY WANTED A FANCIER KNIFE BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE PICTURED ABOVE.

Affordable (relatively speaking) damascus flipper, and I hate myself for wanting another one...

Depending on how loaded you are these things can go for a lot of money, so probably not going off on the deep end...but I might snag another flipper, and maybe an autoknife...

*edit*

Umm, so...yeah...these things are great to play with while watching youtube or whatever...however in getting the "less fancy" looking knife below(blue), I noticed the action in flipping open the blade is god damn flawless, and on my first knife it's a bit rough. Might need to try oil to get it firing well. There is ONE more model in this product line I kinda want, but im kinda happy with these two as is. Fun to flip open, looks cool, is a practical tool I need access to semi regularly.

*edit*

aquire torx drivers, and some knife pivot lube = 3/10 flipping action on the damascus knife is now a 10/10, bad boy fires flawless now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:24:03 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
So I have an Index now. First impressions (when compared to my past Oculus headsets):

Display totally blows the Rift CV1 and Rift S out of the water, in terms of color representation, resolution, and refresh rate. Tracking, as expected, is superb.

The nose piece lets in more room light than the S, but less than the CV1. I might try to find an aftermarket solution to this.

The facial interface is way more comfortable than both the CV1 and S. Feels like it's a light fabric on top of soft silicone rather than harsh foam.

It has hardware IPD like the CV1 (and unlike the S) so there's much less chromatic aberration. Between this and the number of adjustments, it's easier to find the sweet spot and get a clearer picture.

Still working on calibrating the controllers, so the verdict is out on finger tracking. The normal bits are at least as good as both Rifts (the capacitive face buttons and trigger feel more refined, like the CV1, rather than the twitchy implementation the S uses), but I like how they made it harder to press the system buttons. One of my biggest combo killers in Beat Saber was accidentally pressing the Oculus button. :|

While I can't do a side-by-side comparison, the speakers are very similar in quality and volume to the CV1, rather than the tinny, hollow garbage you get from the S. It's at least as good as the CV1.

So far so good!

Edit: Finger tracking works well (for me, anyway) as long as the straps are in the right spot. I was having some pretty major detection issues until I fixed that. Now I can flip people off very consistently.

The grips do kinda fuck with me, though. On Oculus controllers, the grip buttons are located under your middle fingers, so if you want to toss and object you move your hand while releasing your middle finger, gripping the controller with your ring finger and pinky. With the Index controller you have to ignore every instinct telling you that you're about to drop your controller and open up your hand.

It's all muscle memory, though. The straps hold the controller in place surprisingly well without being uncomfortable, so you can do throwing motions without the controllers really moving, even with your hand outstretched. After about an hour and a half of BONEWORKS I had largely gotten used to that.

Another nice thing is that the controllers have fairly minimal bulk, so small arms handling felt a bit more intuitive. I fiddled around with BONEWORKS on the Rift S, and doing dry reloads took a bit of practice due to the tracking rings colliding unless I moved my hands in a particular way. The tracking strips on the Index controllers tend to stay out of the way for actions like that.

It would be nice if BONEWORKS let you operate the mag/slide releases on pistols (since both of the pistols they model%u2014a Glock 22 and a 1911 variant%u2014have thumb controls for both actions), but oh well. At least the game allows you to practice proper trigger discipline.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:51:12 AM by Spectere »
"Fuck 2020, and Fuck FedEx."  -Bobbias