Author Topic: The Thread of Extreme Happiness  (Read 26687 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
The Thread of Extreme Happiness
« on: July 18, 2020, 01:04:24 AM »
So I realize that I made somewhat of a tactical blunder when I locked the existing happy/anger threads. I figured that it would encourage more long-form discussion through the creation of new threads, but by in large all it's done is remove a means of minor celebration or venting. While there are some things that have worldwide relevance (hello there, COVID-19) and are more than deserving of their own thread, things like my FedEx escapades really don't need more than a couple of posts to get the point across.

Here, I wish to present you lovely folks with a thread to post your happy thoughts, just like what we had before except…okay, there's nothing different about this one whatsoever. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:06:45 AM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: The Thread of Extreme Happiness
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »

You guys know me by now, I don't think I need to say anything. You know what I'll be playing next year.

Spec edit: Resized embeds.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:02:16 PM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:01:04 PM »
Man, having a laptop dock is ridiculously convenient. I'm kind of at the point now where I'm strongly considering nuking the Gentoo install on my desktop computer and just using my MacBook as a "serious business" environment instead, since that would give me an extra 1TB for games. It's not like I can't run a Linux VM on my MBP if need to.

macOS deserves praise for how well it handles multimonitor setups as well. In both Windows 10 and KDE Plasma, unplugging monitors and plugging them back in leads to the window manager freaking out and just scattering things everywhere. macOS tries to put windows back where they were before. So, like, the Firefox window I'm using to type normally lives on my right monitor, and is vertically maximized. When I unplugged my laptop it ended up getting dumped onto my main desktop, as expected, in a size that suits that display's resolution. When I plugged it back into the dock, macOS put that Firefox window on the right monitor in the same size and position that it was in before I undocked the system. The same is true with every other window on my system, even hidden ones. I wish more desktop environments handled displays that well.

My work laptop also supports USB-C/Thunderbolt docks, so I can use it for that as well, with the usual asterisks and footnotes that go along with many Dell products, like having to plug one of my monitors directly into the laptop, because hey, why not? I guess that's what $4000 buys you in PC land (thankfully it wasn't $4k of my money…).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 11:58:26 PM »
A couple of my friends got married on Saturday. \o/

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »

Local convenience store had these, picked em up to try em not expecting too much heat wise.

Not disappointed, 3-4 chips in, had to stop. Quite impressive amount of heat these things put off, comparable to a ghost pepper hot sauce. Recommended from me, will be buying more next time I am at that shop.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 05:17:32 AM »
I had a ghost pepper burrito from Mucho Burrito a little while back. That was quite an experience. Ghost pepper does not fuck around. I'm actually amazed I was able to finish the thing.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
I love those Paqui Ghost Pepper chips. They manage to capture the heat without skimping on the flavor.

Kinda seems like a lot of companies that make "hot" things just load them down with a ton of pepper extracts, so the food ends up tasting like battery acid. Large wing chains are the worst offenders in my experiences.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:32:28 PM »
The burrito I had had plenty of flavor too. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was tbh. I expected to just die and get nothing in return apart from the experience.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 11:58:12 PM »
Past week I've been going down a rabbit hole deep. Music, I MOSTLY LISTEN TO 90's rap, pretty much all day every day. Wu, nas, smif-n-wessun, doom, ect.

But in my past, kinda was into the dragonforces and rhapsodys and whatnot, so guitars guitars guitars...need fast...buckethead yes, michael angelo batio, yes, steve vai, MORE...other genres? not metul? a new god has appeared.

and I fell into another rabbit hole, seeing guitar GOD roy clark with a man Clarence "gatemouth" Brown...brehhhhhhh wheres more of this stuff. I don't play guitar, never will, not my main thing, but seeing the skill these men have is jaw dropping.

So in almost no time I went from speed metal to OG country, to blues. I am slightly more open minded than I gave myself credit for. This is after my reggae kick a few weeks ago, but I always enjoyed reggae/dub, blues/og country (not that pop country garbage) is uncharted waters. Still in the rabbit hole, more stuff to find.

*edit*

fuk

If I keep listening to this stuff, I WILL LOOK LIKE WHAT I LISTEN TO, A WALKING STEREOTYPE, NO! I get mistaken for a metalhead all the time, and I listen to rap music all day.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:14:37 PM by vladgd »

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Double posting because why the fuck not.

https://vapor95.com/

If y'all are into the vaporwave AESTHETICS, worth checking out. TAD BIT PRICEY HOWEVER...but tempted to put together an entire outfit...

"shoes run small so order a size up"
, no us size 13...RIP bigfoot (me)

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
I FINALLY got a Nintendo Switch. Actually got it in August just getting around to posting about my elation.

I started looking for a Switch in March for wife bday gift. Turned into a saga of disappointment over the summer. On weekends when I wasn't working I would go into stores early hoping to get one, always sold out. I had zoolerts set up to text and e-mail me when a switch goes up for sale, but still wasn't fast enough.

I discovered around 2AM during the week usually Tuesday or Thursday I would start getting best buy zoolerts, so I started sitting at my computer hitting refresh over and over until they would go up for sale. Even doing that which was going about as fast as I could possibly go, occasionally I would actually get one to add to my cart, but when I hit checkout it would give me a message they were sorry but product no unavailable. I did this for 3 months straight every week I shit you not.

Finally in first week of August I actually land one on Best Buy and make it through the checkout around 2AM. I finally fuckin did it. Then, not even a week later, Switches went up in droves and stayed in stock for like 2 days. Was kind of a slap in the face after all my hard work but at same time I ended up getting a 2nd switch for myself while the getting was good.

Anyway I'm way more addicted to Animal Crossing than I should be. I also discovered I'm shit at Smash Bros some of these guys online are just insane. Haven't really played much since Brawl but so far this has been a great title.

Double posting because why the fuck not.

https://vapor95.com/

If y'all are into the vaporwave AESTHETICS, worth checking out. TAD BIT PRICEY HOWEVER...but tempted to put together an entire outfit...

"shoes run small so order a size up"
, no us size 13...RIP bigfoot (me)

Usually I'm a black on black on black on black kinda guy but my wife loves this stuff. Also a size 13 I feel your pain.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »
Animal Crossing is always something I get into pretty hard for about 1 month, then drop off HARDDDDDDDD (with a capital D) after, been this way with gamecube, ds, 3ds, and switch versions. Great games, but...I ain't one of those grandmas who put 5k hours into it, or my ex who put...probably near 1k hours into it.

While on subject. DO check out youtube for "animal crossing 5am, or any hour in a 24 hour day", each game has different music for every single hour, very good background music. When in game you should notice at the start of an hour the music will change.

You getting that mario collection? Nintendo is pulling a nintendo selling it for 6 months before pulling it off physical AND digital shelves...so...they forced me to preorder...bastards...smart bastards, but still bastards.

Back to fashion, I used to (for a very very long time) wear blue jeans, white t shirt...that's it. Now...blue (skinny) jeans...but sometimes shorts?!, sweats?!, now athletic attire?! With...colorful shirts?!

Iunno, I'm into it. Coming soon as I get my diet in check, as I'm ~10lbs away, MEDIUM SIZE T SHIRTS...bum..bum...BUMMMmmmmmmm (I can already sorta pull off medium shirts...if I skip breakfast and drink no water...but as soon as I put anything in me, nope, pudge town)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:15:51 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
iOS 14 introduced the last two things that I found myself missing from Android and Windows Phone—home screen widgets, and an "app drawer" analogue (it works pretty much identically to the one in Windows Phone, hence why I brought that up). It felt really great to be able to crunch my home screen down to a single page this morning.

Not sure if they specifically targeted performance, but it feels smooth as hell, too.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »
So, I've set up wsl and got linux in windows instead of needing to dual boot for everything. I'm enjoying being able to natively run emacs in a proper linux environment. I've decided to try to organize my life using org mode.

Wsl is still a bit janky, but I'm very impressed with the experience so far.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 05:45:29 AM »
I fiddled around with WSL2 a bit (Ubuntu: rated E for Everyone!). It's not as impressive to me as WSL1 (which implemented Linux as an NT subsystem, so Windows was able to natively run ELFs!), but the move towards virtualization is much more sane from a functionality and support perspective.

I suspect that if I get into a job where I have to use Windows 10 I'll probably use it a lot more heavily, but I've largely moved toward using a docked laptop (macOS or Linux) for serious work and using my Windows 10 tower for gaming.