Author Topic: The Thread of Extreme Happiness  (Read 26155 times)

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
Re: The Thread of Extreme Happiness
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 02:41:06 AM »
My mom just had another operation/attempt to fix her lifelong 24/7 migraines.  It's too early to tell if things were actually successful yet, but several of her other weird ailments have seemingly been cured.  So, there's at least been some improvement to her life.

Also, there's a very high chance that by the end of this year, I'll be a homeowner.  :)  My dad has very generously offered the use of the plot of land we have off to the side of their house, and I'm looking to build a modular home on it.  I've tried several times over the past two years to just buy an already existing house, but all the local flippers get to it before I can even get off work to make a proper damn offer.

So, fuck it.  I'll build my own damn place.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
Hey there, good to see ya! :D

Best wishes to your mom! Sounds like a very promising start.

Owning a home is also one of my goals for 2021. I'm still renting space at my parents' place because I'm not about the apartment life (tried it, definitely didn't like it).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
Owning a home is also one of my goals for 2021. I'm still renting space at my parents' place because I'm not about the apartment life (tried it, definitely didn't like it).

Right there with you. Been renting for 13 years now. The amount of money I've dumped into the garbage basically makes me ill to think about.

Honestly if I had good parents that had a home I could rent in I would do it in a heartbeat. Having met your parents once I could tell they are good people. They can take me in too if they want lol.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »
Bruh, I already take up enough space. XD

That said, we might be able to clear up some space in the shed for you.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
So I was able to set up an appointment for the first dose of Moderna anti-rona juice. That's going to be happening on Friday evening. As much as I'm not looking forward to getting jabbed (despite having quite a bit of blood work done when I was 12-14 I'm still pretty needle-averse), I'm glad that the slow and steady act of "getting this shit over with" is starting.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2021, 10:06:07 PM »
I know more and more people who are getting it, and while I don't want to be an early adopter...the hive mind is starting to make me think sooner is better than later for this kind of thing.

As for the needles, I am the same way, but as long as I ain't looking it's more or less fine. Though needles are kind of a phobia...and philia thing for me...yknow im just gonna tiny text this because fuck you I'll TMI on the internet if I want to.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2021, 11:06:57 PM »
If it helps, the main reason the common folk are allowed to get it is because the shots completely go to waste if they have extra stock or appointments fall through. At this point, the more people get it the safer the general populace is going to be.

Also, fuck anti-vaxxers with a rusty pole. ;D

Though needles are kind of a phobia...and philia thing for me...

Oh my~

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:50 PM »
It is my opinion that it it not only morally wrong to be an anti vaxxer, but I think it should be outright ILLEGAL to be one. It should be a straight up crime.

...HOWEVER, not wanting to beta test a vaccine is a valid reason to want to postpone vaccination. I am in this camp personally. No disrespect to anyone who already has it, my parents have it, more and more friends and co workers are getting it/have it already. It's all putting it in my mind that it's a thing I aught to do in the next few months.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2021, 12:08:51 AM »
Amen, to both points. There's a pretty big difference between being an anti-vaxxer and not wanting to be too early on in the list. There's plenty of reasons to wait, but unless you have a health condition or allergy there's no good reason to abstain.

They don't even have any good reasons, and their logic is just straight fucked. Here's an argument that my mom had with pretty much the only anti-vaxxer in my immediate family (her other older, X'er son...sigh):

Mom: "Vaccines are the only reason we're rid of viruses like smallpox and polio."
AV: "Well, how do you know how bad it is? Have you met anyone with smallpox?"
Mom: *long, disbelieving pause* "No, because there were vaccines for it, and its effects are well-documented. I went to school with someone who had polio, and they were wheelchair bound and were in constant pain. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy,"
AV: "I still think it's bullshit."
Mom: "Whatever."

(Side note: my folks are getting their shots on the same day I'm getting mine, though they have an earlier appointment)

The worst part about it is that anti-vaxxers tend to be vaccinated, so the only people they're hurting are their own kids. There are some states that allow minors to get vaccinations without informing their guardians, so some zoomers are going behind their idiot parents' backs and getting them anyway. That sort of thing needs to become a national policy.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:42 PM »
*edit*

I think I over-explain a lot of shit. I met a girl, and we're gonna hang out tomorrow evening. I have an idea of what is going to happen, and uhh I'll leave it at that. My mood just got better.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:10:04 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »
Congrats! ;D

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »
Damnedest thing, I don't really see myself as attractive enough to get hit on by someone whom is quite attractive but sometimes you get lucky.

It's a weird mix of feeling way too damn good, and thinking "you, want me? thefuq?"

No idea if a relationship will develop out of it, but kinda don't care, intimate times is good times. Whether it be for a month or a year it's all good. Just came out of nowhere, apparently I cant pick up a subtle hint unless it slaps me in the face.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2021, 09:54:01 AM »
Gotta say, as far as cable Internet providers go, I don't mind Spectrum. Just upgraded to their 400/20 plan and they're giving me around 465/24 (confirmed through both speedtest.net as well as measured upload/download speed to standard web sites.

I do wish they were a bit less asynchronous (I would rather have 300/50 instead of 400/20) but given the state of US broadband, beggars can't be choosers, and it could be a hell of a lot worse. Never thought I'd see nearly half-gigabit download speeds in my area, though. Yikes.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:59 PM »
Sounds kind of normal to me, companies around here give fuckall for upload as far as I remember. Still, even kinda bad internet now a days is MORE than good enough for watching videos/gaming/general browsing. The kids these days don't know how good they got it.

There was a time...probably 10 years ago, where I said I wouldn't see 1 megabyte per second download speed in my LIFETIME. The internet here is probably slower than average, and it's uhh, a lot faster than what I thought to be so fast I'd be dead before I'd see it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:28 AM »
Yeah, generally you only get a synchronous connection with stuff like fiber. ADSL and cable are typically heavily weighted toward download speeds. Honestly, that's perfectly fine. The two do need to scale with each other (every time you download a packet on an error-checking protocol, your system has to acknowledge to the server that it received the packet) but even with that in mind they still leave you enough bandwidth to host a 4K60 stream if you wanted to.

I was initially a little surprised that my existing modem was able to support the higher speeds without an issue, but that was mostly me forgetting how high the speed cap on DOCSIS 3.0 is (specifically: 1000/200). Speaking of which, protip: always buy your own cable modem. The ones you purchase are almost always better than the ones the cable companies lease you, and they usually pay for themselves very quickly (with a $10/mo rental fee, my modem paid for itself in 13 months). DOCSIS is a standard dictating how all modems bridge the cable connection with Ethernet, and since the cable provider pushes out a configuration file to the modem upon registration they're all basically plug-and-play.

As far as residential speeds go, yeah. I like. I wouldn't say I was quite as cynical as you, likely because I kept my ear to the ground regarding disruptive third-party fiber providers (I'd say we have them to thank more than anyone else for the uptick in speeds), but I definitely wasn't expecting 400Mbps+ this soon in my area. I was expecting 200Mbps service to be added, but instead they made 200Mbps the minimum speed that they provide nationwide, while offering the next highest tier (which was bumped from 300->400Mbps) as a premium option.

It is fun to consider that the maximum connection speed in my area less than 20 years ago was 56kbps, however. I don't miss those days at all. That being said, things still aren't as fast as they could be, given the rather cavalier attitude that a lot of web designers have toward download sizes (Google's front page, despite its visual simplicity, is up to a whopping 1.5MB worth of various assets, or ~800KB compressed) and the fact that modern web browsers are basically operating systems. We've gone from waiting for our connections to waiting for an increasingly complex scripting engine to churn through ECMAScript while an equally complex renderer arranges the document in a particular way, using a complex set of rules.

Okay, fine, I guess I'm a little cynical. I'm just cynical about a different aspect of the technology stack. :P