Author Topic: The Thread of Excessive Rage  (Read 20228 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: The Thread of Excessive Rage
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:24 PM »
Windows has had me wanting a replacement OS for a few years now, but I do not understand software enough to understand why there isn't a replacement for windows for gaming or something. The way I use a computer is more or less, I don't need a computer unless I want to type something, and also gaming. If I don't need to type something, or if I don't need to play something on PC, I kinda don't need a computer/windows. If I could run ALL my games on...not windows, I would do so.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2021, 09:22:02 AM »
Windows kinda has that nice blend of market share (by a healthy margin), performance, and open hardware support (at least until Windows 11 locks that down).

Like, Linux has the benefit of running on just about everything, but its windowing system is probably its most limiting factor. X was originally written to support networked display terminals, and the sheer number of gross hacks it's collected over the years are a testament to that. Wayland, its slated replacement, still has enough outstanding issues that I can't even use it for my work system, let alone a gaming rig.

macOS has performance down pat (no joke, I was using an iMac--running macOS--as my main gaming rig for a while, with Steam in-home streaming filling in the gaps), but there are a few issues there. The first and most obvious one is that they've largely left compatibility behind, what with them phasing out 32-bit and eventually switching away from Intel-compatible processors. This isn't a bad thing by any stretch, considering their $700 Mac Minis now easily rival $2000 PCs in computational power, but it does mean that a lot of titles got left in the dust. The other is that due to Apple's chosen form factor you can't just plonk a 3060 in one of their rigs (unless you're running a Mac Pro) and call it a day. eGPU solutions exist (at least for Intel Macs) but that tends to be an imperfect and expensive solution.

Windows has leading market share, offers solid performance, and allows PCs to have just about any configuration. Furthermore, unlike Linux, devs don't have to worry about users using--for example--a completely different sound system than what they're expecting. It's just one of those cases where the alternatives are just too much of a hassle to support in many cases. Engines like Unity smooth over a lot of that, but even then there are a bunch of weird, random issues. Even simple games like Undertale require additional work and testing to properly support Linux and macOS due to some gaps in GameMaker's OS support (from memory, there are/were some issues when you first enter Alphys's lab on non-Windows builds).

Of course, with Windows 11 they're so eager to copy Apple's aggressive deprecation stance (oh, and they finally ripped off their rounded window borders) that Microsoft basically told people with 5 year old CPUs to go fuck themselves. Considering macOS Big Sur still happily runs on 2013 hardware (and earlier, albeit with minor issues) that seems just a tiny bit absurd. Oh, then there's the fact that the UI is such trash that I legit thought it was a 2010-era Android launcher with a Windows skin on it when I saw screenshots of it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
Microsoft basically told people with 5 year old CPUs to go fuck themselves.
Correction: my i7-7700 that's barely over 4 years old isn't supported by Windows 11, and apparently some 8th gen processors from early 2018 also aren't supported, so it's more like 3-3.5 years  8)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
Correction: my i7-7700 that's barely over 4 years old isn't supported by Windows 11, and apparently some 8th gen processors from early 2018 also aren't supported, so it's more like 3-3.5 years  8)

Oh shit, you're right. For some reason my geriatric millennial brain thought that the 8th gen CPUs came out in 2016.

I know the Dell chonkbook I bought in late 2016 isn't supported. 6th Gen Core i7 CPU...LOL, who even has one of those, am I right?

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2021, 10:02:02 PM »
Will my Ryzen 7 1700x be supported by Windows 11? If so, ok. If not, I don't care and fuck Windows 11. Lol.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2021, 11:58:31 PM »
Will my Ryzen 7 1700x be supported by Windows 11?

Nope, at least not with the current supported CPU list. Only the Ryzen 2xxx series and up are supported because...reasons? Their hardware support seems arbitrary as fuck.

Supposedly (in the current beta, anyway) it'll just tell you it's not supported and run anyway, but who knows what the final release is going to do.

fuck Windows 11

A-fuckin-men, brother!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
How to get taken advantage of: say the words, "Yeah, I'm pretty good with computers."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2021, 10:36:20 AM »
macOS Wake Timers: Wake up from sleep, check the mail, chime if there's new mail, immediately go back to sleep.

Windows Wake Timers: Wake up from sleep 20 minutes after the the computer is suspended, visually remind the user (who is not at their desk or logged in) that a Windows update is ready to install, stay awake.

What the fuck, Microsoft. How have you not figured this out yet?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2022, 12:04:39 AM »
Gotta say, out of all the technologies I use, HDMI-ARC is probably the absolute fucking worst. I've never seen it work reliably. It'll be fine for a month or so then bam! Suddenly you won't get any audio out of your soundbar. Unplug everything, plug it back in, and it might work for another couple of weeks before it randomly decides that it doesn't want to work anymore. I've worked with three soundbars connected to three different TVs from three different manufacturers and they've all had issues like this.

Also, here's an honorary fuck you to whichever company (either Google or Samsung) keeps popping up full-screen update nag screens on my phone while I try to fix this stupid thing. Congrats, you're worse than Microsoft, and every time it pops up I get one step closer to just popping my SIM back into my iPhone and calling it a day.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
So between today I ended up getting something like 18 phone calls and 10 e-mails from job recruiters over a two hour span.

Turns out Monster decided to relist my resume without permission. From what I can gather they redid their site somewhat recently, and I would assume that there was an issue with data migration. Okay, fine. I'll unlist it.

Except, every time I log in it acts like I don't have a resume on file. It only gives me the option to create a resume or upload a new one. What? Suddenly, I get an idea and download the Monster mobile app. I log in and it tells me that my resume has been migrated. I check the permissions. Public. fffffuuuuuuuuu---

Tap "Private." Save. Delete app.

Now I get to spend ten minutes of my lunch break replying to recruiters, telling them that it was a big understanding (never hurts to be polite!) and that I'm not actually looking for work. Thanks, Monster.

On the bright side, at least my skills and experience are incredibly marketable.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2022, 10:08:48 AM »
First world problems.

My phone updated to Android 12, and took away everything I have been used to. I don't want to re learn how to use my phone, how is this a good user experience?

EVEN THE CLOCK ON MY MAIN SCREEN IS CUT OFF, do they even test these releases?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2022, 04:17:00 PM »
It took less than a year of Android to make me want to switch back to iOS. Maybe this is a Samsung thing, but I also love that feature where system updates bring up a full-screen popup that you can only dismiss a limited number of times.

Oh, speaking of updates, my PC automatically restarted for updates while I was uploading a fairly long YouTube video last night. Naturally, it decided to kill the upload at 98%. Thanks for that. I love uploading 20GB files twice.

What makes that even better is that after rebooting it logged me in automatically! I'm sure that's good for security.