The Chatterbox > Gaming

2021 Backlog Report

<< < (5/5)

vladgd:
I suppose it's that time of the year again, new thread starteth, new thread endeth.

1. The Outer Worlds
2. Dragon Quest VI
3. Doom Eternal
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
5. Monster Hunter Rise
6. Death Stranding
7. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
8. Metroid Dread
9. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
10. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
11. Zelda Breath of the Wild
12. 10000000
13. You Must Build A Boat
14. Shin Megami Tensei V
15. Into the Breach

15, not bad, like 7 of those are very short "beat it in a day" games, but then I got Death Stranding, Breath of the Wild, and Monster Hunter which are 70+ hour long experiences a pop, so iunno, good variety of game lengths/genres. Kind of surprised I've kept this thing going another year, life is bound to take a turn in a direction where 10 isn't obtainable anymore...but in the meantime, it's still fun.

Think I'll keep my "awards" section the same, if any of you have any better categories, I'm game to consider. It's a fun way to wrap up the year as far as games played go.

Most rewarding game to complete

Dragon Quest VI

There's a few in here that probably deserve this more, but...the ending of this game was such a damn mess, and the arbitrary "you can only level up classes in areas close to you in level, you can totally overlevel early and fuck yourself over for no reason" kinda makes me happy to get this one over with. I HEAR VII DOES THE SAME JOB EXP FUCKERY SO...that's another time. Either way the dishonor goes to dq6, again not a bad game...just has more than a few user unfriendly mechanics.

Biggest surprise

Death Stranding

This was totally going to star wars, by the way. Then like I got past the tutorial area of this game, and seen what it really was...I went from not buying the game on release because it wasn't metal gear to PREFERING this over the last metal gear solid game. I did not expect this game to do what it did, and I think that's thanks to the games journalists not doing a good job...journalizing? what the hell this game ACTUALLY is. Thank you thorhighheels for sparking my interest enough to pick the game up.

Least Favorite Game

Dragon Quest VI

Yeah...mean game prevent me from grinding 50% through the game. Mean game final dungeon no save points/recoveryfinalbossmanyformsfullreviverandombullshit. Bottom of my dragon quest tier list, which is a shame because there's a good...10ish hours of that game that is legitimately a good jrpg experience, it's just surrounded by mad.

Runner up Favorite

Monster Hunter Rise

This is the best monster hunter game out currently...I mean what else could it do?  I am still a casual monster hunter fan, thus, it deserves praise.

Special Mention

BABA IS YOU

This is the hardest videogame ever made, I am not even sure you can beat the game, but it's awesome. Great to have friends backseat on, great to think about while away from the game, there's even "meta" secrets and whatnot. Very very recommended.

GUILTY GEAR STRIVE

TWO mentions?!  This is the most fun I've had playing a fighting game in years, I bought it twice, ps4/steam, and season pass on steam. This game alone is responsible for re invigorating my drive to actually play fighting games again, and I probably haven't played more ranked games with real randos in any fighting game I have ever played...besides super turbo...

EXTREMELY recommendable, very good for new players, very easy to pick up, but with plenty of depth to sink your teeth into.

Favorite Game/GOTY 2021

Death Stranding

No mention of megaten, or doom, or metroid?! All 3 are FANTASTIC games, and I like Death Stranding over all of them. I think the moment I started making the highway was the moment I realized I couldn't stop playing the game, I couldn't stop thinking about the game. The last time I played a game for 16 hours straight was the WoW TBC launch...I don't do that anymore. It's harder to recommend because I think what I PERSONALLY like is kind of specific to me, and my odd less than normie tastes in vidya. But it did something different, and it did it damn well. I even put 10+ hours into the game weeks after beating it, I just needed to play more.

1- earthbound
2- monster hunter world
3- smt nocturne
4- smt 4
5- south park fractured but whole
6- xcom terror from the deep
7- persona 5
8- deus ex mankind divided
9- metroid: samus returns
10- dragon quest xi
11- smt 4 apocalypse
12- advance wars 2
13- disgaea 5
14. Front Mission 4
15. Paper Mario TTYD
16. Luigis Mansion
17. Zelda Wind Waker
18. Rebel Galaxy
19. Persona Q
20. Eternal Darkness
21. Dragon Quest
22. Strange Journey Redux
23. Shining Force Sword of Hajya
24. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
25. Doom (2016)
26. Metroid Prime
27. Plants vs Zombies
28. Disgaea 1 Complete
29. Links Awakening Remake
30. Pokemon Shield
31. Dragon Quest 2
32. Dragon Quest Builders 2
33. SteamWorld Dig
34. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
35. Advance Wars Days of Ruin
36. XCOM Chimera Squad
37. Fallout New Vegas
38. Phantasy Star (Sega Ages)
39. Advance Wars Dual Strike
40. Cyberpunk 2077
41. The Outer Worlds
42. Dragon Quest VI
43. Doom Eternal
44. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
45. Monster Hunter Rise
46. Death Stranding
47. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
48. Metroid Dread
49. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
50. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
51. Zelda Breath of the Wild
52. 10000000
53. You Must Build A Boat
54. Shin Megami Tensei V
55. Into the Breach

More than I ever expected, I ain't there yet, but I think I may be making my backlog my bitch...the backlog is infinite, so...untrue. Still, very pleased. New thread when next game is conquered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version