The Chatterbox > Gaming

2021 Backlog Report

<< < (2/5) > >>

vladgd:

--- Quote from: Spectere on February 02, 2021, 10:50:21 AM ---The game seems to run crazy smooth regardless of what you're running it on. I suppose it makes sense, given that the Switch was a target platform of both 2016 and Eternal, but I think it's still safe to say that id has solid engine tech on lockdown. Kind of a shame they don't license it out anymore. If it had adequate tooling it would probably be solid competition for Unreal Engine 4.
--- End quote ---

That's another thing I forgot to mention. I recently bought a 50 inch 4k tv (I didn't know they were actually really cheap now a days), and I use it as a secondary monitor...Eternal runs great on my machine IN 4k. With the god tier soundtrack, having the game run (97%, some minor hitches on two levels, but I do emphasize minor) buttery smooth at high resolution on a big monitor, really top notch audio video experience. The only thing I can't do is stream the game in 4k, since it's about as much as my machine can handle, aim gets sticky and unplayable when I try streaming. Could be a fixable problem, but I have been too lazy to troubleshoot, not a serious issue though.

With slayer keys, I thought they just made them invisible, did that mean they were also not collectable? If so, calling bullshit. Because I swear I read on a tooltip somewhere that cheats are disabled in slayer gates, implying you can replay a level with cheats, to play a slayer gate, and it'll disable them just for the gate. I got all of my slayer gates first run so I cant go back to verify, but I was skipping many of the optional encounters since failing once or twice nukes your ammo and hunting for more is annoying, with cheats tho...might boot the game up and play around with it.

And I'll be honest, my rage with marauders wasn't with all marauders, but there was one in Necrovol part 2? that spawns after an archvile (which spawned after a doom hunter), and I had no lives...so I had to retry that entire battle 3 or something times because of that single marauder. AKA a git gud or die trying situation. Nothing too bad, but I did have a minor ragefit.

This game had me semi interested in playing some other single player fps MAYBE, looking at wolfenstein new order ($20usd on steam) and I may impulse buy that sometime in the future. This game may have did what persona 4 did for me with jrpg's, rejuvenate my desire to play an entire genre of game I had neglected for many years.

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on February 02, 2021, 11:22:34 AM ---With slayer keys, I thought they just made them invisible, did that mean they were also not collectable? If so, calling bullshit. Because I swear I read on a tooltip somewhere that cheats are disabled in slayer gates, implying you can replay a level with cheats, to play a slayer gate, and it'll disable them just for the gate. I got all of my slayer gates first run so I cant go back to verify, but I was skipping many of the optional encounters since failing once or twice nukes your ammo and hunting for more is annoying, with cheats tho...might boot the game up and play around with it.

--- End quote ---

The keys were definitely hidden and uncollectable when I tried this. They still appear on the map, but you can't see them in the world itself. Maybe the slayer gates function like that if you've already collected the key for the level, but if you haven't fetched the key yet you won't be able to unless you run through the level without cheats.

Last time I played was before The Ancient Gods released so it's also possible that they may have changed it when the expansion was released.

--- Quote from: vladgd on February 02, 2021, 11:22:34 AM ---And I'll be honest, my rage with marauders wasn't with all marauders, but there was one in Necrovol part 2? that spawns after an archvile (which spawned after a doom hunter), and I had no lives...so I had to retry that entire battle 3 or something times because of that single marauder. AKA a git gud or die trying situation. Nothing too bad, but I did have a minor ragefit.

--- End quote ---

Ah…yeah, that one was seriously dickish.

--- Quote from: vladgd on February 02, 2021, 11:22:34 AM ---This game had me semi interested in playing some other single player fps MAYBE, looking at wolfenstein new order ($20usd on steam) and I may impulse buy that sometime in the future. This game may have did what persona 4 did for me with jrpg's, rejuvenate my desire to play an entire genre of game I had neglected for many years.

--- End quote ---

New Order was pretty great. There are some parts that I wasn't particularly crazy about, but in general I felt it was a solid 8-9 out of 10 experience.

Haven't played Old Blood or New Colossus yet, but my dad really liked them. New Colossus is apparently a pretty big step up in difficulty, so if you move onto that one you'll probably want to step it back by one notch.

I heard Youngblood is trash. Can neither confirm nor deny.

vladgd:
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

This was a big surprise for me. First off, back in november there was some game sales, and I snagged outer worlds, ff7r, and jedi fallen order in one swoop. My ps4 has limited storage (500gig) and so I would install a game, beat it, uninstall, put the box away, blablabla. Technically Death Stranding was first...bought that one a while ago...but my breakup with the ex and moving house postponed that game.

Preamble aside, I started playing this game last week, calling it "star wars dark souls" to co workers. And uhh, while very true, it's got platforming elements like an uncharted game with an upgrade system/level design of a metroid game. While I actively DO NOT LIKE the uncharted series at all, this game isn't a third person stop and pop shooter, it's a dark souls influenced action game, with kind of a lot of enjoyable level exploration/platforming. And uhh, it's hard to stop playing. I had expected this game to be "mmm aight" but what I got was a DAMN FUN hard to put down experience. I can't recommend this game enough to any star wars fan looking for a new game to play.

Great job Respawn, looking forward to the sequel.

vladgd:
5. Monster Hunter Rise

It had just occurred to me, that I counted monster hunter world that one year...I seen credits in this game, thus, it counts for the list. I'd call it a freebie if it didn't take me 45 hours...+howeverlong I will keep playing the game after that...

It's monster hunter, what's not to like.

vladgd:
6. Death Stranding

Well...It's been a while...

I started this game JUSTTTTT after covid then quickly stopped barely an hour in. Been telling myself to come back since march 2020, last 2 months I've been saying I'm going to play it...and more nothing. However, finally, I did, and...59 hours of playtime later, I beat it.

Seeing reviews at launch, people expected the next metal gear from hideo kojima, only to get UPS man simuator with not that much shooting? HORRIBLE GAME!111

Yes this game is basically man deliver thing to place over and over again, but like, here me out...it's...fun...

If game where you go down hallway pointing crosshair at bad man and holding a trigger to make bad man fall down is ok, then why not game about carrying a bunch of stuff from point A to point B where the space in-between is a vast wilderness with the environment being an adversary on its own?

When I hit chapter 3, and started building highways turning a 30-40 minute job into a 2-3 minute job...I couldn't put it down. I finished the game yesterday with a 16 hour session. I DO NOT PLAY GAMES FOR THAT LONG ANYMORE. Even being away from the game I would think about what I wanted to do when I was able to play again. If metal gear is dead, then I am ok with what kojima is doing because this is a 9/10 type of game in my book. Why it took me so long to get going is on me and me alone, but I am glad to finally experience this game. Most fun I have had playing a video-game in a good while.

Fuckin buy it on sale or something since it MIGHT not be your cup of tea but if it is, it's a damn fine cup of tea.

BACK TO THE GRIND BABY, NEXT!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version