Author Topic: 2021 Backlog Report  (Read 1283 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: 2021 Backlog Report
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 02:27:32 AM »
One big complaint + the biggest reason I didn't even pick up the game, weapon durability.

Yeah, this is what largely kept me from enjoying BotW. I don't necessarily dislike the idea behind the mechanic, but the issue I have is just that it's wildly overtuned.

It also leads directly to game balance issues. Joseph Anderson on YouTube created a longform analysis video of BotW a while back and the weapon durability system actually prevented him from being able to complete fights that he had the skill level to do. Like, when he glided off of the central plateau, he ended up coming across a lynel really early on, and the only reason he had to flee is because his entire arsenal broke. One could make the argument that he shouldn't have tried to fight the lynel, but the problem is that the game is billing itself as open world while still having "wrong" progression paths.

I actually found myself enjoying the game a lot more when I used an infinite durability cheat. It actually made me want to use some of the better items I earned rather than encouraging me to use trash all the time.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
Yeah...it says something when a mechanic actively keeps people from buying the game/modding the game to remove/reduce said mechanic.

I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it did make the game less fun than it otherwise would have. My epic trek to hyrule castle to face ganon...was just me running past every single enemy in like 5 minutes to get to ganon. Not very cool imo. The game is good DESPITE that, but it would be way better with a different approach. I suppose we'll see if they address any of those issues in the sequel, which I at least kind of look forward to now having played the game, rather than it not being on my radar at all prior.

12. 10000000

This one is random, one day the gf wanted the tv to play the switch, so I got on my laptop for something not very committal...remembered I had this, never beat it.

The goal of the game...get 10,000,000 points. Kinda puzzle game, kinda rogue lite in terms of "you never lose, you only get incrementally stronger", but in the small bite-sized chunks the game presents itself in, it can get pretty addictive. I think back in the day when I was playing the game I got around 7.5mil before calling it quits, come back to the game years later to see my save is gone...but the game is short enough where it isn't a huge deal. It's fun, it's cheap, and it..has...a...sequel...more on that later. Give it a shot!

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 11:04:25 AM »
13. You Must Build A Boat

I'll be honest, I don't know why the text is korean on my steam page...but it is. The text if you are going to read the sounds those funny squiggles make, literally...you must build a boat(or yu masutu birudu a botu if I want to get literal). English written in hangul, on my steam? Alright, I can read it at least.

Not relevant stuff aside, this is the sequel to 10000000. It's like the same game, but actually different in meaningful enough ways to make it a new game, and worth playing. The progression is more fun than 10000000 in that you are building a boat...well, it gets bigger and you get more crew. The gameplay is different enough, spells/items work different, shields work different, different resource tiles. This leads to playing a bit different than the prior game. Only real issue with the game was the "final run" which I felt to be quite a lot harder than scoring 10000000 points in the last game. I'd say a good 25-30% of my total playtime was grinding the last run over and over and over until I got lucky enough to clutch it out.

The game is $5 on steam, if you like weird puzzle games with a progression system that takes itself not seriously at all, give this a shot, and 10000000 too. Both games have been on my to do list for a long time now, both games have been enjoyed and completed.

다음!

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 10:16:47 PM »
14. Shin Megami Tensei V

Where to begin, where to begin? This game was announced for the switch, before the switch was even announced to be a thing. Then...years passed, nothing, people getting worried game was going to be abandoned. About a year ago there was a nintendo direct showing off this game, and smt3 remaster, and everyone hated it because smash character you'll never use >>> brand new videogame amirite?

Now to the present, the game is out, and it's kinda good. In my megaten tier list I'd put it in the upper middle of the games I've completed thus far. It's got a unique feel with the game being not really open world, but kinda open? There's 4 quite large maps where a majority of the game is played, enemies roam around the maps dragon quest 11 style, and it probably has the most fun JRPG controls for just moving around the game. Feels almost like an action game, except with traditional smt pressturn styled combat.

Enemies drop money now, so that alone puts it ahead of the smt4 games for me. Buffs are way different, they last 3 turns like in persona and you can stack them up to 2 times for increased effect. They also need a "ma" prefix to be applied to the party now, like in...lets say it together...persona...In other mainline smt games an attack buff can stack up to 4 times, lasts forever or until the enemy removes it, and applies to the whole party. This aspect I prefer vastly over the way persona does it, makes them play different, but it isn't THAT bad. It's kind of a hybrid of the two, and with skills like boon boost, and the ex version (makes buffs/debuffs last 1/2 more turns), it adds another layer to the combat which I do not prefer, I understand them wanting to mix things up.

The difficulty is kind of strange. On one hand you have no random battles, the game isn't really the standard JRPG endurance a thon they usually are. But...bosses will fuck you the fuck up. I hit level 99 with some strong demons, decided to fuck with shiva a little bit because I want to fuse him...and he ended my life in 2 turns...yeah, nope. If you like challenge, this game got it, but it's also designed in a way where you can be selective of when/where you get your challenge. I wanna call it easier and harder than nocturne at the same time. Nocturne on face value is a way harder game, by a longshot, but I think this game might have more brickwall bosses. I mean since random battles don't exist, the challenge has to be in the bosses, and the bosses alone, so it's hard to define.

Seeing some reviews, I noticed a few things highlighted.

"story bits few and far between"
Have you played a mainline megaten game before? This game has plenty of story bits, plenty of side quests, it's just megaten isn't as much about the characters, but rather the battle of ideals, law, chaos, neutral, with some wrenches thrown in depending on what game you play. But if all you played is persona, one of the most character driven "it's like im watching an anime havent touched my controller in 30 minutes" videogames out there, yeah, this game will feel barren compared to that.

"the soundtrack was forgettable"

No, it isn't.

Plenty of great guitar tracks such as this one.

To the surreal bells played upon leveling up

It's got variety, and it's all very appropriate to the scene, and the series.

My biggest issue in smt4, besides enemies not dropping money, the world. smt4 (not 4a) started getting really good after you got of regular tokyo, but that was 70-80% through the game. This game just flat out has a cool world, with different rules. It's all desolate, it's not nice, there's no "lets go on a picknic teehee. It's got the appropriate tone throughout.

To cap it off with something I appreciated the whole time through, demon negotiation in this game is the best in the whole series including persona. It feels fair, you can generally suss out the correct answers based on how demons talk, and even better, the demons are funny as fuck. The writing in this department is endlessly entertaining. From enemies requesting, a "shitton of hp", to being concerned about your grades in school, to seeing through your attempt to seduce them...looking at your lack of genitalia AND LITERALLY LEAVE THE BATTLE LAUGHING AT YOU, it's great. There's even a bunch of secret encounters if you have the right demons on you, that have references to the actual lore of the characters in history, to references to other games "cough" nocturne "cough", the attention to detail shows me they were paying attention. Even the demi fiend fight (doubtful I will spend the time needed to beat that monster) I noticed watching other people fight him, he has an extra pressturn (from when you complete all the graveyard challenges in nocturne, and play ng+ on the same file) to his pixie companion who sticks with him from the beginning of the game to the end, very well done.

This is a good videogame, with as much as I praised it...still not my goty, but very recommendable to any jrpg fan who wants something a bit different. It's very much a megaten game, but it feels as original as a jrpg can be in my opinion.

N E X T