The Chatterbox > Random Chat

The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived

<< < (9/9)

Spectere:
Eh, it's not too bad, really. As long as you don't do anything really stupid (kinking the tubing, etc) there isn't much to worry about with AIO coolers. If you have a pump failure you're basically dealing with the same failure mode as a dead air cooler (albeit a bit more dramatic, since you don't have as much of a heatsink).

You do have to be really careful if you build an open loop water cooling system. I don't think I'd want to put in the effort to maintain something like that, but I've been running AIO cooler for six years and this is the first issue I had, and it didn't cause any damage.

I should also add that Falcon Northwest overnighted me the part and I was able to get it installed relatively easily. Kinda cool that they trust their customers to do stuff like that.

Spectere:
Pretty sure that watercooler issue I had also fried one of my NVMe drives (partial failure: a handful of cells died, but it was still generally usable). The one closest to the CPU ended up getting so hot that the glue on the Samsung sticker started melting out all over the place. Yikes. Fortunately I didn't lose any data (the OS partition somehow was completely unaffected, and the data partition literally just has Steam games on it, which I could just verify/redownload).

As with before, Falcon Northwest overnighted me a new drive, I dumped my old image onto it, and I've been keeping an eye on the temperatures just in case (they're higher than the other drive, given that this one is right between a 5900X and a 3090, but even with a full system load it still doesn't exceed 60C, which is fine).

Gotta say, it's nice having a single company deal with all of the RMA bullshit for me rather than having to hassle two different companies. I've had less downtime with this arrangement than I would have had with a single outage with parts that I sourced myself.

I also noticed that I neglected to mention anything about the support experience itself. I've never had a company as pleasant to work with as Falcon. They give you plenty of options for replacement, from them sending the parts to you to you sending the rig back to them (on their dime), will happily talk you through replacement if you need assistance, and everything is so unbelievably fast. Like, in both cases I expected to be down for a solid week, but that was far from the case.

Oh, they also use UPS instead of FedEx. Can't help but throw that jab in there. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version