Author Topic: The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived  (Read 15463 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:48:42 PM »
I forgot to make a replacement for the "you couldn't ask for a lamer topic" thread, so here y'all go!

I really wish there was a 1-to-1 replacement for LINQPad on macOS/Linux. I've messed around with RoslynPad, but I always end up running into something that pushes me to fire up a Windows VM and use LINQPad instead. That's going to be a bit of an annoyance if I stick with MacBooks moving forward given the switch to ARM, though a lot can happen in a few years.

I might also see about contributing to RoslynPad after I push through a few of my personal projects.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:59:56 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
Started playing IIDX AC again and found out that they fucking added Hot Limit to Rootage.

So, naturally, this immediately sprung to mind:

...followed by the revelation that the OG swf was released 19 goddamn years ago. aaaaaggghhhhhh

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 02:08:29 PM »

Not miffed enough for extreme rage, but got new cycling pants, glasses and all that jazz, it's 50f today, finally get to the trail...and can't pass through that shit. 60f tomorrow, but this stuff takes some time to melt, so maybe a few weeks and I'll be back on the cycling train.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:17:18 AM »
We've been pretty lucky in my area. I was in the Cleveland area the other day and it's kind of amazing how much snow there still is up there despite it only being about 1-1.5 hours away.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:52:03 PM »
It's kind of amazing how quickly one can retrain their muscle memory. I've been working to correct some of my typing quirks (most notably using my left index finger to hit 'Y') in an effort to get some proper use out of my mostly-neglected ortholinear keyboard, and it's been surprisingly easy to adapt. The first day was a bit tricky, but I'm more or less back up to my usual speeds despite recently breaking a multiple decade long bad habit.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:28:35 PM »
If you put your mind to something, you can get used to just about anything methinks.

Totally different example, and I can't understand russian, but I was interested enough in cyrillic script to easily read something like владгд as my username here. "hey the letters look interesting, what do they mean" and with time I can at least phonetically read pretty much anything the ruskies are typing, and sometimes get the gist of what they mean without google translate.

Now if only reading Japanese was so easy...it's not.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 04:09:20 AM »
Yeah I can "read" cryllic like that too, along with Korean and Japanese. The only one I actually know some words in is Japanese though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
When it comes to Japanese I've mostly gotten by with pattern recognition, and most of that comes from playing untranslated versions of IIDX/Pop'n/SDVX. Basically, just being able to make decisions like "no, I don't need to go through the tutorial," "oh look, there's 7th Dan," or "yes, please transfer my data from copula to SINOBUZ." That said, it would be nice to have a better grasp on what's actually being said.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 09:22:40 PM »
It's a huge time investment to learn a language, but learning how to read the script is a lot more manageable. Still, russian cyrillic has like what, 33 characters? Korean is like 30-40 depending if you count combined vowels or not, still pretty easy and logical. Basic Japanese is like over 140 kana, which I only know like...less than half that right now, then you take that and add learning chinese (kanji) on top of that, and you have a nightmare.

Where is the "i just wanna learn japanese so I can play old untranslated videogames" course in college? I wanna play front mission 2, and...front mission 5...on real hardware without needing a hacked emulated translation.

It's one of those things I occasionally read up on in small "doesn't feel like im putting any effort into learning anything" bites.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 07:04:10 PM »
This seems like such a minor thing, but I love when devs take the time to ensure that the close button appears on the left side on macOS ports.

I'd also like to offer a huge disapproving finger wag to Mozilla and Google for not giving enough of a shit to put the close buttons on the left side of tabs in the Mac ports of Firefox and Chrome despite it being a widely requested feature. Basic UI consistency should never be considered optional.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:55:20 PM »
Got my first COVID shot earlier today.

My arm hurts.

Other than that, no issues so far. Then again, most of the "fun" happens with the second shot. That's gonna be happening on May 14th.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »
They take long to set up after calling? Thinking about calling up an appointment monday, try and get er done before the end of may to "hopefully?" avoid needing covid tests to fly to and fro Seattle.

*edit*

Different subject, but pretty much only relevant in this topic so im gonna double dip.

Got off work early enough to get a ride in, went my normal 11 mile out 11 mile back route, back home, shower, chill out, texting the new bae...im still breathing really hard...i have BEEN done with my ride for at least 15 minutes and I am STILL breathing hard...and my hands are going numb...and my legs...

the fuck, I think I have experienced hyperventilation for the first time? bae (silly name, but too early for girlfriend status imo) told me to calm down my breathing and whatnot...while i pounded a few scoops of almond butter because my calories have been low...low, sub 600 low, so could be either one of those, idk.

Scarey shit, iunno what the hell caused it, but, nope.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:23:07 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 05:39:04 PM »
YMMV, but in my case I just scheduled it online with Rite-Aid. I scheduled my appointment for the 16th on the 10th, so there was about a six day window. With the two shot vaccines, there's about a month between the two shots and another two weeks before it becomes fully effective, so bear that in mind as well.

Re: hyperventilation, I'm not a doctor, but I know that low calorie diets can cause your body to do a lot of wonky stuff, especially when combined with intense exercise. Might want to check with a doctor or dietitian to get an expert opinion on that, since given the combination of hyperventilation and numbness in the extremities kinda gives me the impression that you might have had low blood oxygen or something along those lines.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:45:42 PM »
Razorblades, alcohol, and depression is a cocktail I do not recommend mixing. Besides some embarrassing "would not rather explain to people who happen to see them" scars, it's nothing to write home about. Still no feeling in part of my arm, but it's a small enough spot not to care.

I can also relate to the bruised hands thing, I may have fucked up my right hand in some unknown capacity doing some rage smashing...drunken...rage smashing.

Also don't drink when you're not feeling well, it's counterproductive.

Being depraved from being social even as an introvert is brutal. Doing a little better now due to my new ladyfriend, played lazy with her all day while fucking around on random switch games yesterday. "BABA IS YOU" is a fantastic social game I swear everyone I show it to loves it.

...and she's into pocket knives...I think I lucked out on this one.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 11:27:05 PM »
I feel kind of lucky. Whenever I'm pissed or depressed I completely lose my taste for alcohol. My diet kinda goes to shit, but I'd say that's pretty normal.

And yeah this pandemic's been rough. Even introverts need some level of social interaction. There's a growing list of things that I want to do as the restrictions start being lifted. Visiting my friends in Texas, going to Round 1, taking a long-ass road trip to anywhere without having to worry about being shoved into mandatory quarantine...that sort of stuff. Sure, I could drive almost anywhere, but what's the point if a place is going to be closed?

Just looked up Baba Is You, and the look of it almost reminds me of VVVVVV, or something created with MegaZeux. Definitely going to have to wishlist that one!

If you're looking for something a bit more action-y and rhythm-y (with co-op support!), check out Just Shapes & Beats (also available on Switch and PS4). I played through that a while ago with my best bud and it was a ton of fun.