Author Topic: The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived  (Read 15471 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: The Lamest Topic Ever Conceived
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 08:30:45 PM »
Well uhh, been away mostly not at my home. Thinking about quitting ye ole job, taking a month off work, and yoloing another job maybe even part time temporarily. "If you don't take a leap, you'll be stuck doing the same thing forever" not sure if that's the right quote from wherever I seen it from, but, yknow, accurate. In a position where MOMENTARY unemployment won't kill me, not looking to bank off government money either, just need to force myself out of this dead end job of "cough" 13 years "cough". Hardest part is taking the plunge. Not sure "when" maybe august, maybe September, but I want to do it before October (because October at my job tends to suck).

So that's been on my mind, kinda don't wanna do anything stupid, but at the same time, maybe it's staying that is the stupid thing to do.

That aside, I got the second dose of government microchips this past monday at around 11:30am. Around 11pm that day started feeling off, tried sleeping, headaches woke me up 3-4 times till around 9am, then at around 10-11, passed out till 2pm tuesday. Pretty much minor nausea, no appetite, no energy, and nonstop headaches till Wednesday at 5pm. That and half of my arm is inflamed from the shot, it currently stretches from my shoulder to half way down my bicep.

Besides that, this is Thursday as of this post, I am more or less fine. Government chips seem to have completed their installation and my body just needs to defrag away the swelling. State is opening up EVERYTHING? July first, so the two week's after second dose thing should line up perfect.

Curious to see how this whole "vaccinated vs un vaccinated citizens" thing goes. Besides a card thing that is filled out, is there a database of people who have it incase said card is lost and one requires proof?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »
I ended up doing that twice. Once to leave a job that had me barely over the poverty line and working in inner city Baltimore (now that was a life experience) and once to leave a 60-80 hour a week job. Sometimes you've just gotta make a big change like that. If you're not going anywhere at your current place, you can definitely do better elsewhere. Just make sure you have enough of a safety net to fall back on if things don't work out. The economy is a bit rough right now.

As far as the microchips go, I've gotta say, the 5G reception around my area really sucks, and I'm not magnetic at all. This is bullshit.

I had pretty minor reactions to both of my shots. The first shot hurt a bit longer and made me lethargic. The second one gave me very mild queasiness (went away within 12 hours) and left me wired, to the point where I didn't even feel remotely tired until around 8AM.

Kinda seems like the vaxx vs. no-vaxx thing is largely done on the honor system. Ohio's current mandate seems to be that masks are not required for vaccinated folk, but I don't see anyone checking for vaccination cards or anything. Of course, doing that would be stupidly unwieldy. I think they're treating it as a "go at your own risk" sort of scenario, and if anything our numbers have been holding fairly steady. With about half of the state vaccinated and plenty of people carrying around antibodies from the actual viral payload, I think it's starting to run out of viable hosts.

Gotta say, it's really great to be able to go out and actually have a human reaction with someone. It's amazing how much you miss simple things like that when you've been shut in for way too long. Not looking forward to potentially catching the cold and/or flu again, but I'd say it's worth it at this point.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 05:28:28 PM »
Yeah it's a tough call. I need to leave, and I need at least a month or so to enjoy not working. Maybe figure out a daily fitness routine that I'll stick to while trying to incorporate small periods of time to learn stuff I want to learn, like programming, new language, building stuff, whatever. The idea is to not just sit on my ass watching youtube for 2 months, then look for a job I hate more than the current one. Month or two of RnR while being productive mentally/physically, then a less stressful job to pay some bills if I can find it...to hopefully something a bit more permanent.

It's a big leap, but not quite ready to put in the ~4 weeks I think I should to put in since I've been there so long. If I want out by October...I should try and figure everything out by September, and if I want out earlier, I need to get off my ass and start planning.

On the microchips. I think my state is in a similar state to yours. It "almost" looks pre pandemic in public right now. The local grocery employees are mostly WITHOUT masks, I think the few that do are just electing to. Though deli is still with masks when I was there earlier today. I went to an IHOP yesterday...without a mask...seemed 50/50 there, but "more or less" normal. As of today I was told my work will have masks as OPTIONAL, so that's a thing im not going to complain about. I think I got my vaccine just in time because everything looks to be coming down whether you got it or not. Most of the people I work with, friends, gf, family all have it, so I think I'm more or less fine to do normal stuff IE, eat at a restaurant once a week....SO RECKLESS, MUCH REBELLION.

Last thing I don't wanna put into the game thread because I keep buying/playing shit I can't beat/already beat before, not worth adding to that thread. I got Guilty Gear Strive on ps4, impulse bought it...historically not a fan of anime fighters...no idea why I bought it, but uhh...this is the single best "anime fightan" I have ever played.  I actually haven't had this much fun playing a fighting game since ultra street fighter 4, like I am actually playing people online and enjoying the experience. Playing this kenyan vampire cyber samurai? He lacks mobility like Potemkin, no front/air dash, no run. He can't spam special moves because they QUICKLY fill a blood gauge that when full...you lose half of your health...but his special moves are god tier stupid, his range is amazing, he excretes damage, and it's a slower playstyle I can get around. This game feels more street fighter than street fighter 5....and I mean that in a good way towards strive and as a shot at 5. Great game for new players, very easy to get into and hop online. Ive probably played more matches with real people in this game than every other fighting game I have played since after street fighter 5 came out, combined.

RECOMMENDED

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »
[...] right now I'm kinda working on homebrew for the 3ds.
The 3DS seems like a really solid homebrew machine—it definitely helps that Rosalina supports remote debugging with devkitARM-gdb over WiFi, which neither of the other consoles I've had to run homebrew on (NDS, Wii) seem to be able to do.

commanderx16
between the paperclip/fuse/dremel incident, "Morgan Freeman", Shannon Watts comments, and iirc whining about ThE MiLLeNiALs with Matthias Wandel, i think i'd be ok with never thinking about david murray ever again 8)

A modern Amiga 1200-compatible (or similar) devboard/computer would rule, though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 12:19:19 AM »
It's a big leap, but not quite ready to put in the ~4 weeks I think I should to put in since I've been there so long. If I want out by October...I should try and figure everything out by September, and if I want out earlier, I need to get off my ass and start planning.

The length of time is a tough hurdle to jump. I've been at my current place for almost eight years, and I imagine that quitting would give me some pause even if I already had something lined up. There's a certain comfort in stability.

As of today I was told my work will have masks as OPTIONAL, so that's a thing im not going to complain about.

My workplace still has a mandatory mask policy, but I get the vibe that they might be lifting that soon. They're starting to put in transitional plans to get the programming team back into the office on a rotational basis. The current plan seems to be bringing us in one week and having us at home for three, which I'm pretty okay with. We have to support industrial systems to some degree (one of the programs I wrote interfaces with a conveyor belt system, for instance) so it's impossible to have us completely at home.

The 3DS seems like a really solid homebrew machine—it definitely helps that Rosalina supports remote debugging with devkitARM-gdb over WiFi, which neither of the other consoles I've had to run homebrew on (NDS, Wii) seem to be able to do.

The Vita would be so much more pleasant to develop for if it had remote debugging support. My technique for getting MZX working was to write to a log file and hope that the OS was able to flush it to Flash before the application crashed. :-[

I looked into ways to read the core dumps on my development box, but it seems like the usefulness of said dump was pure RNG.

A modern Amiga 1200-compatible (or similar) devboard/computer would rule, though.

Fuck yes.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2021, 05:36:32 AM »
Yeah the remote debugging struck me as an excellent feature. Haven't really been putting time into that specific project, but that's because it's intended to be something my girlfriend and I work on together. I've got a million things on the go tbh and not enough time, energy, or motivation to stick with anything for very long -.- Oh the joys of ADHD.

So I'm currently messing about with haskell. Been doing a lot of reading about category theory, type theory, how different type systems work, and other stuff. Playing around with writing an interpreter using GADTs and some other features to leverage haskell's type system to do type checking for me. Also looking at incorporating some code from the haskell LLVM tutorial, which would let me create a JIT compiler for my embedded DSL. If I get that set up and working it wouldn't be much trouble to add my own lexer/parser to allow me to create my own syntax that doesn't need to conform to haskell's syntax (especially since the LLVM tutorial addresses that side of things, and there are other tutorials for parsing and lexing in haskell out there as well).

I'm actually also in the process of quitting my job and going back to college for programming too....

As for things that are actually lame as shit, my sleep has been absolutely fucked lately. There are days where I might lie in bed for 6 hours before finally falling asleep. That does not exactly help with the whole time or energy to do shit side of things either.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 01:19:03 AM »
So I switched to Android a couple months ago and planned to write a point-by-point comparison of that and iOS (specifically, a Galaxy S21 Ultra vs. an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and a Tab S7 vs. an iPad), but the more I thought about it the less I had to really say on the matter.

The phones are the things I used the most, and after switching I kinda started to wonder why the fuck people get so bent out of shape over platforms. I mean, Apple's been opening up iOS just as Google's been closing Android (mostly for security. Android's security used to be as awful as iPhoneOS's inflexibility). There are some things that iOS definitely can't do, like run a chrooted Linux install, but that tends to be so finicky (mostly dealing with the new permission sets with Android 10+) that even I don't feel like dealing with it aside from fairly mundane stuff like ssh.

So I dunno, I guess we're doing a rapid-fire comparison. iPhone 12 Pro Whatever has a faster CPU despite being a year older (The S21 Ultra's Snapdragon 888 is roughly on par with the two-year-old iPhone 11), but it doesn't really make the phone feel faster. Screen's roughly the same size. Battery life is about the same despite it having a lower capacity battery (3687 mAh vs the S21 Ultra's 5000 mAh).

The S21 Ultra has 12GB of RAM compared to the 12 Pro Something's 6GB, but that doesn't really allow it to do more. Camera performance is pretty close on average, but the front camera on the S21U smashes the iPhone one, and the 10x telephoto is pretty convenient. Low-light performance seems to be better as well, but I haven't tested that too thoroughly. The ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is super convenient and awesome. The folio case and its viewing window works well, and I use the S Pen a lot more than I thought I would. The 120 hz screen was a very nice upgrade, though the iPhone 13 uses one now as well. Counter-intuitively, I actually find the pinhole camera more distracting than the notch, probably because it's breaking up an otherwise full-screen experience, rather than reading like a shrunken bezel.

The only real phone feature I really have to complain about is the car integration. Android Auto's UI works better on my car, since my car has a fairly small center console screen. CarPlay's split view tends to make it so that both the map and music UIs are too small to be usable (this isn't a problem for larger screen units, like the one on my parents' Kia Forte), but since Android Auto has a persistent media bar/notification bar on the bottom, it's very easy for passengers to flip through tracks without having to disrupt navigation.

That said, it does have some outwardly user hostile "features." It forces you into navigation every time you plug your phone in, and gives you no option to turn that "feature" off. Most of the driving I do is local, so I'd much rather have my music app front and center (CarPlay just displays the last content you had running. What a concept).

Tablets? Whew. Samsung tries like hell to make it work, but Google clearly doesn't give a fuck about them. You can always tell when you jump from Google land to Samsung land, because Samsung's software refers to the Tab S7 as a tablet while most of Android refers to it as a phone. The bluetooth S Pen works very well, easily on par with the Apple Pencil, and it has integration with Galaxy phones, much like the way Apple's devices integrate with one another. Good stuff, and very convenient. Battery life is easily on par with my 3rd gen iPad Pro. Nice as it is, however, I tend to find myself reaching for the iPad. Android left tablets behind years ago, and it really shows. While having an iPad display your app as an enlarged phone app is a mark of shame, I've found it to be surprisingly common on the 'droid side of things.

Finally, smartwatches. I went from an Apple Watch 6 to a Galaxy Watch4 Classic. Gotta say, I really like the rotating front of the Watch4 Classic over the digital crown (which I would always accidentally bump on stuff), and the ability to set awake hours for standing notifications on Samsung Fit is nice, but...man, WearOS has a lot of catching up to do. In terms of responsiveness, the Watch4 Classic is more in line with my old Apple Watch 3 than the buttery smooth 6, with hitching sprinkled throughout, and the software itself is rough. It's really hard for me to consider it release-worthy when some of the core system software treats the Watch4's round screen as a square screen. How the hell did nobody notice that? One definite positive is that the Watch4's battery life kills any Apple Watch I've owned. I could comfortably get 1.5-2 days out of my Apple Watch 3 and 6, but I can comfortably get 3-4 days out of the Watch4. It also does offer up many of the same features (one-wire ECG, heart rate sensors, etc), it's just the software that lets it down. I think WearOS needed another year or two of polish before Samsung switched away from Tizen. Hopefully it gets better over time, because in several ways it feels soooo close to hitting that sweet spot.

In conclusion: iOS is fine. Android is fine. Windows Phone was fine. Fanboys fucking suck.

Edit: One point I almost forgot to mention: the S Pen vs Apple Pencil thing largely comes down to which feeling you prefer. The S Pen uses a felt tip nib, while the Pencil uses hard plastic. I prefer writing with the S Pen because it feels more like a pen on paper, but I suspect that the Apple Pencil will last much longer due to the material it uses. Both options are still far better than the shitty wobbly nibs that the Surface pens seem to have. Trying to jot down notes with my old, thankfully sold, Surface Pro 3 was just awful.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:23:48 AM by Spectere »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if people who still claim that iPhones are super expensive have actually compared prices between the two.

Obviously Apple isn't interested in the budget sector, but you can still buy a brand new iPhone for $400, and its SoC still gives the high-end Snapdragon 888 a run for its money.

Meanwhile, on the high end, Samsung's top of the line phones are way more expensive than the iPhone Pro Max while subsequently lacking features (the Galaxy Fold 3 is pretty much worse in almost every way compared to their own S21 Ultra, but it's way more expensive due to its foldable screen).

It's almost like flagship phones are expensive or something. Weird concept.

Edit: Addendum to the post above: the Watch 4 Classic has proven to be so good and bug-free that I don't even wear it anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2022, 04:58:14 PM »
Dunno if I'd go so far as to call this rage-worthy, but my PC's water pump seems to have crapped out. You wouldn't believe how fast Windows runs when your CPU is running at a constant 100°C.

Barring a stupid, simple, easy-to-fix issue (don't really know…I didn't have much time to diagnose it last night), it like I'm going to be using macOS/Linux quite a bit within the next week or so.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2022, 06:15:22 PM »
Water cooling + problems = SCAREY

Something I understand why people do, but when I think about it...I ain't a tenth the enthusiast that would be into even a tiny risk of a leak.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2022, 01:38:19 PM »
Eh, it's not too bad, really. As long as you don't do anything really stupid (kinking the tubing, etc) there isn't much to worry about with AIO coolers. If you have a pump failure you're basically dealing with the same failure mode as a dead air cooler (albeit a bit more dramatic, since you don't have as much of a heatsink).

You do have to be really careful if you build an open loop water cooling system. I don't think I'd want to put in the effort to maintain something like that, but I've been running AIO cooler for six years and this is the first issue I had, and it didn't cause any damage.

I should also add that Falcon Northwest overnighted me the part and I was able to get it installed relatively easily. Kinda cool that they trust their customers to do stuff like that.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »
Pretty sure that watercooler issue I had also fried one of my NVMe drives (partial failure: a handful of cells died, but it was still generally usable). The one closest to the CPU ended up getting so hot that the glue on the Samsung sticker started melting out all over the place. Yikes. Fortunately I didn't lose any data (the OS partition somehow was completely unaffected, and the data partition literally just has Steam games on it, which I could just verify/redownload).

As with before, Falcon Northwest overnighted me a new drive, I dumped my old image onto it, and I've been keeping an eye on the temperatures just in case (they're higher than the other drive, given that this one is right between a 5900X and a 3090, but even with a full system load it still doesn't exceed 60C, which is fine).

Gotta say, it's nice having a single company deal with all of the RMA bullshit for me rather than having to hassle two different companies. I've had less downtime with this arrangement than I would have had with a single outage with parts that I sourced myself.

I also noticed that I neglected to mention anything about the support experience itself. I've never had a company as pleasant to work with as Falcon. They give you plenty of options for replacement, from them sending the parts to you to you sending the rig back to them (on their dime), will happily talk you through replacement if you need assistance, and everything is so unbelievably fast. Like, in both cases I expected to be down for a solid week, but that was far from the case.

Oh, they also use UPS instead of FedEx. Can't help but throw that jab in there. :P