Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 218326 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »
Eh, I must learn more about that avant-garde stuff!
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »
This is a pretty popular song where I live now.
&feature=related. I think its pretty damn fun to play this song if you have a nice sound system.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »
Heh, that would be fun.

Also, that's not a half bad song.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
Ah, yeah, I've heard that before.

Also, on the topic of Avant-Garde musics, I've basically exhausted the internet's supply of prog metal, so that's basically a natural progression. The main difference I'd say is mostly the fact that Avant-Garde music tends not to be as technically demanding, it focuses more on just being weird. Although it's not to say there's any lack of awesome guitar playin'. It's just that they'll toss in a sax solo out of the blue or something.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »
Well, depends on what sort of Avant-Garde music you're talking about. Try to get some Naked City, and listen to that. A lot of their stuff is fairly technically demanding, but incredibly insane at the same time.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
Noord DJ- Art of Hardstyle 003

i have no idea where to find anything on the artist, or where to get this art of hardstyle, but i need it.  any help would be appreciated, i heard (listening to) this thing on di.fm, and i can't pull myself away from the computer, its amazing. 

like, i actually have some spare cash, and if i can find a place to get this, its mine.

hell, i need any hardstyle.  i mean, its like the best music genre ever, and i only have jea's life is game album (spectacular album, but doesn't hold a candle to this noord stuff)

yadda yadda, gabber fucked trance, trance had a kid, and it was hardstyle.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2008, 03:25:28 AM »
Just checked the forum, and did a quick check in case it was actually released (discogs.com is your best friend for finding out releases and such). Looks like NOOD DJ is just a kid in a basement making mixes on his computer (or doing it live and recording it, either way). This is not a commercial mix, and unless someone happened to be running a stream ripper while it was playing, your best bet is to email NOORD and ask him if you can get the mix. Most DJs don't mind people asking, and will usually have a website where they can host stuff.

As I said, it looks like he simply sent an email to di with the mix and get it played on the channel (fairly easy to do if it's a good mix).

The link to email him through his di profile is here: http://forums.di.fm/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=95985
Or you can PM him on the forum here: http://forums.di.fm/private.php?do=newpm&u=95985

I'm not sure on the timeline when Hardstyle appeared, but I believe that it evolved very shortly after, or even more or less at the same time. It's not like Trance and Gabber were combined into this. I think it took it's cues from Hardcore and Gabber, as opposed to Trance and Gabber. In fact, a number of Hardcore producers dip into Hardstyle now and again. (In the case of Scott Brown, most of his Hardcore stuff sounds like Hardstyle anyway, lol.)

Anyway, yeah, Hardstyle is more melodic than Gabber, because of the influences from Hardcore. That's one thing I love about Hardstyle. People always complain about melodic Gabber on the di Gabber forum, but I absolutely love it, so Hardstyle fits me a bit better than Gabber.

Also, I love jea's stuff so much more than most of the DJ Sharpnel stuff (except the insanely awesome melodic stuff, like Moonearth, and all that). Except for some of the classic Gabber (listen to the thunderdome CDs, and you'll hear what I mean), I don't like Gabber that isn't at least somewhat melodic. Most of Sharpnel's stuff is a bit sparse for me (or a bit weird sounding. Just listen to the one that uses the Puchi Puuri Yuushi theme sped up, the song sounds totally out of place.)

That, and most of Sharpnel's stuff just sounds the same to me (except the insanely badass melodic stuff.)

There needs to be more Trancecore/Hard Trance/Melodic Hardstyle/whatever you want to call these styles. Stuff like Shiki's Air, and Sharpnel's Moonearth, and all that. It's such a stupidly small genre that is extremely well suited to Stepmania (which is about the only place I discover any of that stuff at all.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:38:21 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2008, 02:24:42 AM »
Listening to all the VSnares albums and EPs and whatnot.

So far i've listened to about 13 of them including an hour and a half long mix. I would say Chocolate Wheelchair album is my favorite so far. I listened to Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding earlier today, but didn't care for most of it.

Right now i'm listening to 4 adaptations of Rossz Csillag. For those who haven't heard it, it's basically a jazzy rendition of 6 songs (two of the songs are combined) from Rossz Csillag. Its pretty cool and if you can find it check it out, just keep in mind it has nothing to do with breakcore.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:38:41 AM by Milk Chan »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2008, 03:38:17 AM »
I have that too. It's pretty badass.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »
I've got it as well, it's pretty sweet. I hear Bong-ra's actual stuff is pretty sweet as well.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13:51 AM »
I've been meaning to DL some of his stuff. After seeing the breakcore documentary on youtube. One breakcore producer I'd REALLY like to hear more of is Hecate, but with a name like that, it's kinda hard to find.

Though I've got a torrent that has some stuff of Vsnares and Hecate.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »
My sister sent me this, apparently their a polish based prog metal band.

Once it gets going, it's pretty good.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »
I like the little electronic stuff, and that cool bass work.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »
I don't particularly care for Hecate, I didn't really like Nymphomatriarch. Aside from novelty value, I just didn't think it was that great :s

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
After listening, I'm not quite sure what to think. It's kinda sparse. I like the rhythms and such in the drums, but it's too sparse for my liking. I would like to hear more by Hecate though, as sometimes when 2 people get together for CDs like that, it becomes something different than either of them would release.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x