Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217782 times)

cristian989

• View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »
I was randomly looking through my external hard drive for old media files from like 2004...and I stumbled upon this one song...

Lunatic Calm - "Choke"

I have no idea where it came from, but I like it :)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
That is probably the most kickass thing I've ever read.  Props to Benn. :D

So, CD = good?  I might order it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2008, 02:42:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm contemplatin' the purchasing of this album.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
Same, I love his stuff. I've been waiting for this CD for quite some time now, and I'm still pondering if I should download it before I decide if I'm buying it.

I also really like that message. It's good to see that some artists understand how things work, and hell, part of the reason I pirate stuff anyway. All those messages to "support the artist" by buying their CDs from some huge corporation who barely gives any royalties to the musician only help the huge companies. To give the artist any money that's actually worth something, you'd need to buy like, 10 copies of the CD. I could care less if most huge labels die, too, because most of those labels are the ones financing the gigantic cauldron of crap they call pop music, and shoving it down our throats. I for one could care less if the whole music industry became a very grassroots system, because then the artists who deserve recognition could get recognition, instead of the pop music that is everywhere because those labels have boatloads of cash to throw around.

I also like that all of Alphabasic's CDs are made from recycled material. I have to give him props for that.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:03 PM »
I have a situation:

That's my music folder, not counting songs that are alone, from video games, or from my Final Fantasy VI OSV disks.

Five hours of music that is mostly music from the three Matrix movies will not cut it :(

Suggestions plz?

I like Johnathan Coultan and Daft Punk.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
well, if you want to discover electronic music without having to download a lot of stuff you don't know, try going to http://di.fm and listening to their streams. Don't close it if you don't like whatever's currently playing, either, si through and listen for maybe 30 or 40 minutes unless you know you really aren't going to be interested in that station. They have 21(IIRC) different stations, all playing different genres of electronic music.

The other place to discover new music is pandora.com. Pandora will play music that is "technically" similar to what you give it as a starting point (tell if you like daft punk, and it finds music with similarities to daft punk).

It's much easier to give you more music to look for if you have more to give us :/ Or even a specific genre you're looking for.

I could say I like Deep Purple and Daft Punk, and that would be completely true, but that's nowhere near giving you an idea of the different types of music I listen to.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
Yeah, Ishkur's guide to EDM is pretty awesome.

I want to get some Power Electronics (if my memory serves me correctly).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
Last.fm is a great tool as well. Picking a band, checking out the bands with similar taggings, and seeing what other people who listen to that band like as well all are really good ways to find new music you could potentially like. Plus, if you download a band's discography, last.fm is generally a pretty good place to find out where to start. I know I have trouble listening to new music that I've downloaded occasionally, just because of sheer volume, and not knowing where to start. First impressions are pretty important for me, so if I pick an album that's crappy, I probably won't enjoy the rest of the band's work nearly as much.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
Well that sucks. In my case, I listen to each CD without considering the band's others. However, I can still get a bad impression from a band.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
Currently listening to:

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
I've been listening to Weird Al's "Poddle Hat"...trash day is such a hilarious song!

I've also been addicted to Marilyn Manson's "Mechanical Animals"

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2008, 03:04:29 AM »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2008, 02:21:52 AM »
Yeah, I really enjoy that album, but it's not really a great example of breakcore, if you ask me. It's really badass and all, but it's not typical of the genre, if you ask me.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2008, 02:31:14 AM »
True, it's not typical of breakcore, but that doesn't mean that it can't be considered one of the best. Actually, that is exactly why it is one of the best. Breakcore is an experimental genre by definition. To be able to fuse other genres with breakcore in such a way that you create a breakcore oriented album that is easier to listen to and still true to the experimental and unique nature of breakcore is what sets that album and vsnares in general, apart from the rest of the scene.

Listen to Drumcorps, and you'll hear something else that isn't typical of breakcore. He uses live guitar, as well as chopped up grindcore/hardcore music and fuses that into breakcore. That's also atypical, but very good stuff. Still a bit harsher than Rossz Csillag allat sz

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2008, 11:43:52 PM »
Well, I kind of enjoy Breakcore for the harshness, but that sounds a lot like Kid606, who takes a lot of ragga and dance samples, and goes to town with them. I just think it's not an amazing representation of the genre. I'm going to have to look up this Drumcorps business, though. I'll reply an actual like, retort to your post later though, because I've not got the time to formulate a proper argument right now :U