Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217560 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:02 AM »
i love it when people invent genre names, like "epic rhino stomp" amazing. also, where's sq3r's "Amazing!" comic? out of discussion b&

He hasn't been around much, try looking up his DA account, it might be there if he continued it.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2008, 02:35:38 AM »
thanks mortified.

also, shitcore subgenre of speedcore, a subgenre of _____, a subgenre of metal. "shit" is a very vague term, and can't be labelled into a folder called "speed".
there's a lot of shit punk shit out there, and some of it is pretty slow.  but if it's slow does that mean it's slow punk sihtcore? Now that's just getting fucking ridiculous. the "shit" in shitcore implies taste by the user, and does not necessarily reflect a true or valid classification of the style of music. Furthermore, Tapatio is hot sauce but not all hot sauce is Tapatio. ( :[ ) likewise with many so-called genres.

i love it when people invent genre names

srsly. I lol'd.

but regardless of anything I previously mentioned as it is completely irrelevant and not worthy of noting, nor time to consider, I wouldn't consider "Into the Inferno" as being in any genre. Basically, It was someone with their buddies fucking around with a music sample, crazily fucking up the sound and inserting random shit to a point where it was nearly beyond any sort of musical classification (rhythm may not always be music). BUT! If I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to pick a name, I'd label it as "WTF".

Also, the genre "Alternative" pisses me off. Alternative, what? Alternative means it's contrary, or a secondary or different characteristic. So, Alternative music is contrary to.. Popular music? Rap? Rock? What? How is something that is really classified as "Different" somehow mean it's a rock genre? Alternative rock, eh? So de we have "Alternative Rap"? "Alternative Electronica"?

Lame sauce.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks alternative is not a legitimate charactarization for music. I think it's a cheap way out of describing a group. Just saying they're alternative doesn't mean anything. It should imply that it's listened to in lieu of something else, but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as straight-forward rock anymore, with the exception of Nickleback, which isn't even music. Srsly. >: |

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2008, 04:04:15 AM »
I wouldn't consider "Into the Inferno" as being in any genre. Basically, It was someone with their buddies fucking around with a music sample, crazily fucking up the sound and inserting random shit to a point where it was nearly beyond any sort of musical classification (rhythm may not always be music).

Actually, it's just a 700bpm Fruity Kick with a lot of screamy-stuff (my throat was sore for the rest of the day, heh).  Nothing too fancy.

BUT! If I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to pick a name, I'd label it as "WTF".

Works for me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:27:56 AM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2008, 04:06:41 AM »
fix your post. it looks all fucked up. jesus christ, you dolt.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2008, 04:28:04 AM »
Oh hush, you. =(

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:01 AM »
I kid the pope. I don't really mean to call you a dolt... OR DO I?

In other news, yeah, basically that. But you should have done something truly epic and done diddered 666 bpm. that would be cool. in b4 legend of max.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2008, 05:33:37 AM »
DAMN, good point.  WHY DIDN'T WE DO THAT, JINXIE?!

Ah well, maybe next time.

vladgd

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2008, 05:41:06 AM »

music

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
(rhythm may not always be music)

I'd like to contest that.

There are lots of native groups (both in north america, and in other places) who's music is almost entirely rhythm.
Sure, most people wouldn't want to listen to that stuff, and some of them would likely say it isn't even music. But the way I see things, anything purposely put together for listening is music. It may be music I don't like, but it's still music. I mean, listen to John Cage's 4'33". It's 4 and a half minutes of silence, and yet it's accepted by the majority to still be music.

People bitch about genres, and music classifications and such, but nobody seems to realize that they're lumping things into "music" and not music. I still lump things into that category, but I'm more open about it. I put anything that was recorded for the purpose of me listening to it as music (unless it's simply talking, and such, like podcasts, and that sort of thing). I mean, by nearly everyone's normal definition of music, Merzbow isn't music. By most people's definition, Field Recordings aren't music. But I see both of those as being perfectly legitimate forms of music.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as straight-forward rock anymore, with the exception of Nickleback, which isn't even music. Srsly. >: |

You'd be right, also despite the name of the thread, fuck Nickleback. I can't stand them or the fact that they are popular. Also how many sub generas are there of rap?

vladgd

« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »
Also how many sub generas are there of rap?

as many as there are sub genres to anything, a lot.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »
Well, not as many as you'd think Ishkur's guide covers rap, since rap was spawned form the sampling culture of hip-hop that rose up from the DJs.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2008, 04:55:46 AM »
Yeah, in all honesty, I was under the impression that there really aren't that many subgenre's of rap. It's not like metal or electronica, where every other band is in a new genre.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
Well, it's more of a timeline really: There's the oldschool Hip-Hop, like Grandmaster Flash and such, then there was east and west coast rap, east coast was kinda silly, and stuff, while west coast rap was harder and grittier, stuff like NWA and such, There's "Progressive Hop" as Ishkur calls it (AKA Underground or Alternative hip-hop) and that's stuff like the Black Eyed Peas, Del, the Funkee Homosapien, there's Abstract/Experimental hip-hop, such as DJ Food and Coldcut, there's G-Funk, which was created by Dr. Dre, and is west coast gangsta rap, and now there's full on Gangsta rap, which is pretty much the entire rap industry now.

It may not be like metal where genres are more like adjectives, and can be added and subtracted and used as influences, but are more like time periods, and mentalities. The east coast/west coast stuff was going on in around the mid to late 80's and early 90's, then came g-funk, which became wildly popular for about 5 years in the mid 90's, and after that, Gangsta rap took hold and hasn't dropped out yet (though it seems to me like everyone's finally getting to the point where they don't care about what 50-cent is doing. So maybe in another couple years or so we'll see more alternative stuff breaking through. The Black Eyed Peas certainly paved the road for more Alternative Hip-hop to break through, and the Gorillaz have always had a good following, so who knows, maybe the 2010's will be dominated by Alternative/Progressive Hip-hop.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x