Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217339 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
Ah, yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

vladgd

« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
There's the oldschool Hip-Hop, like Grandmaster Flash and such, then there was east and west coast rap, east coast was kinda silly, and stuff There's "Progressive Hop" as Ishkur calls it (AKA Underground or Alternative hip-hop) and that's stuff like the Black Eyed Peas, Del, the Funkee Homosapien, jurassic 5, de la soul, mf doom.

the good stuff is in purple

the great stuff is in black

the bolded stuff is the elite awesome stuff that people that don't like rap shouldn't have a hard time getting enjoyment out of

i remember back in the day i used to hate rap, then i started listening to jurassic 5, and it went from there.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »
Well, my "relationship" with Rap started out back in about grade 6, or 5, something like that. About the time that Eminem came out with My Name Is. We'd had a school dance and I heard the song, I didn't know it before then, but some of my friends knew it and were into it. I liked Eminem, and listened to some of his other stuff, not much, but I knew a couple songs. Slowly from then, I began to listen to more Eminem. I ended up owning The Eminem Show and listening to that CD. Well, by then, I knew more of the music, since it was dominating the pop culture at the time, but I never got too much into it. Since then, I've been introduced to stuff like the Black Eyed Peas, Del, The Funkee Homosapien, Dr Octagon (Anyone ever play the old skateboarding game Grind Session? His track Blue Flowers was on there, and it kicks SERIOUS ass), and a whole boatload of other stuff. I've listened to Necro, Immortal Technique, and Jedi Mind Tricks, all awesome.

I've always liked the oldschool stuff, both East and West coast, really. East coast was all about using rap as a form of music and stuff, expressing yourself (Express Yourself!), and in general being however you wanted to be, and west coast was gritty, about the streets, crime, and how things were. It wasn't there to promote hate, or to glorify guns, bling, and smackin your bitch up. It was about how things really happened. It was by black people growing up in the ghetto, for black people growing up in the ghetto.

Then, G-Funk. That stuff was alright. It was getting worse, but Dr. Dre was a damn good producer, and musically and such, rap was still pretty good. It was evolving, and becoming more polished, but at the same time, it held true to it's roots, and even though it was a bit more gangsta oriented, it was still pretty close to the older stuff.

Up until then, rap was good. Then it went downhill REAL fast. Rappers took that Gangster mentality and ran with it. Instead of getting stuff like 2 Pac's Changes and Eminen's Stan, we're getting stuff like 50-cent and Chamillionare, or however the fuck you spell that. By this point, I've come to completely hate commercial rap.

Which reminds me, I need to download some Eminem.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2008, 01:45:35 AM »
Oh man, the new Opeth album leaked, it's pretty freaking cool.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2008, 02:43:57 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of their return to their older, more death-metalish sound. I mean, the guitar work is good, but I just don't like the drums being so straightforward. The new guy's a hell of a drummer, but I still prefer the albums Damnation and Deliverance, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. I loved the jazzy vibe and the overall feel. I really loved how they weren't afraid to make acoustic songs, or songs that by themselves wouldn't even be death metal.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
I preferred the newer albums as well, but I do really enjoy this one. I'll tell you how they are at Progressive Nation, though, because I'm going to that next week 8)

vladgd

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »

i love you rockstar, for putting awesome songs such as the one linked in your new game.

i literally can't stop listening to it, its so fucking catchy.

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
I know of manys good hip hops

this is a good wun

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2008, 02:54:33 AM »
Went to Prog Nation, almost died because it was so awesome. Will report further tommorow!

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »
I hoe I haven't missed that, I really want to go but have no money for it.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
No idea if someone else has brought it up, but Sigur R

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2008, 06:43:44 AM »
Not "I thought", I know Sigur R

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:26 AM »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
King's X is pretty awesome. That is all I have at this point :U

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2008, 01:43:12 AM »
So, apparently The Black Mages released a third album in march. I've got a hold of it, and it pretty wicked. If you liked their other stuff, definitely check this out. The first track is a WICKED remix of the FF7 Bombing Mission theme.

Oh, and if you guys haven't listened to them, try to listen to Naked City. Naked city is a Grindcore/Free-jazz/Avant-garde monster created by John Zorn. I'd suggest listening to the album Grand Guignol. It begins with a weird 17 minute piece, and then has a metric fuckton of very short (mostly under a minute) tracks that are the very definition of breaking genres. They will move from a classic blues riff into a screaming saxophone solo over top of genuine grindcore, and switch to funky jazz overlaid with the screeching/yelling that comprises the vocals on this album. It's fascinating how they can mash so many genres into such a short time, and do it well. It's certainly not for the weak hearted, but for someone willing to give it a listen and actually stick with it for a bit will find that the idea, if not the music itself, is absolutely groundbreaking. Some people will never be able to listen to this, in fact, practically nobody can likely listen to this and actually enjoy it, but for the couple freaks of nature (myself included) who enjoy this album, it's an absolutely amazing album.
After listening to that, check out Absinthe / Leng Tch'e. Leng Tch'e is 31:38 minutes of doom metal inspired slow riffs, culminating in what may well be the most faithful musical representation of torture I've ever heard. About 15 minutes in, Zorn's Sax makes an appearance, bringing the song to what feels like a climax, after the 15 minutes of waiting. Then, about a minute later, the vocals come in. After that, all hell seems to break loose, or at least, the torture begins. The vocals and sax mix together to create a feeling like you're listening to the soundtrack of torture, as the song itself never seems to end, and the pained vocals and sax honestly sound like someone screaming in agony.
Leng Tch'e has to be one of the most amazing pieces of music I've ever heard. It's like taking doom metal, and turning it into what it was truly meant to be.

The vocals on Naked City albums are provided by Yamatsuka Eye, of the japanese band Boredoms.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:04:21 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x