Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217367 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #435 on: August 30, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Finally obtained my 65 days of static CD, and shit's bumpin.

K-Mann

« Reply #436 on: August 30, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Boards of Canada is an amazing group.

Also my package came in the mail last week: 'Resent and the April Sunshine Shed' and 'Pale Blue Dot' both by Benn Jordan. Gonna preorder his Louisiana Mourning if I can get some money lol

Also I found the Bioshock Licensed Soundtrack and Fallout 3 Licensed Track. About 50 songs that are older than 50 years <3

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 30, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
Finally obtained my 65 days of static CD, and shit's bumpin.

Which one did you get?

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 30, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »
One time for all time, the one you recommended.

Also my music collection is still in desperate need to reviving.

Oh yeah, and Black Star is an amazing album.

vladgd

« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2009, 10:55:47 PM »
http://www.rarewitchproject.com/?id=1735

it's a mp3 download so expect a popup prompting you to download it apon clicking

this is like oddly nostalgic, even though it's from nuts and bolts.  which is weird, because as far as i know, mumbos mountain is the first level in the first game, and isn't in the tree sigsty game.  i own nuts and bolts but i didn't really play it much. 

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #440 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »
So I listened to some Dillinger Escape Plan tracks the other day.  That shit is weird...I kinda like it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #441 on: September 07, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Dillinger Escape plan is amazing. I mean, they have more "accessible" stuff, like Milk Lizard (which sounds like their take on a regular rock song) and Black Bubblegum (their take on a pop song), but even those have some wicked electronic elements, and hardcore stuff.

They're one of those groups that really can't be placed in one genre.

I will admit that the only album I really know is Ire Works, but if that is any indication of their other stuff, that just means I really need to download some of it.

But man, when your associated acts list includes Mike Patton (king of experimental rock), that alone is a sign of being pretty experimental.

Oh, and I don't think anyone else can do a cover of Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:34:31 PM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 07, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
Sounds good. Also I've been getting into Black Label Society, it's oddly catchy. That and Zakk Wylde is a monster. I can't get this song out of my head either.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »
Dillinger Escape plan is amazing. I mean, they have more "accessible" stuff, like Milk Lizard (which sounds like their take on a regular rock song) and Black Bubblegum (their take on a pop song), but even those have some wicked electronic elements, and hardcore stuff.

They're one of those groups that really can't be placed in one genre.

Yeah, definitely.  I don't remember which song it was (I think it was on Ire Works) but it literally sounded like a mixture of metal and IDM.

I will admit that the only album I really know is Ire Works, but if that is any indication of their other stuff, that just means I really need to download some of it.

I've listened to Ire Works, the Irony Is a Dead Scene EP, and Miss Machine.  Ire Works and Irony are pretty similar in style (and by that I mean that there is no definite style).  I haven't listened to all of Miss Machine yet, but it seems to be a bit more subdued compared to the other two, leaning more towards a rock/metal format.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2009, 05:30:22 AM »
Ahh, well, after reading about their history a bit, I have a feeling that as you go backwards they become more and more like a typical hardcore band. Though I'm sure they still have a very unique sound.

And if you like that stuff, you might want to check out The Number 12 Looks Like You. They're another crazy-ass mathcore band. No electronic elements in their stuff, but they are practically the definition of mathcore. They're always using bizarre time signatures, switching between different time signatures in the middle of songs, and even writing stuff that sounds off time but is in something common like 4/4 anyway. Their drummer is pure genius.

Apparently wikipedia says "Their music combines elements of Grindcore, Progressive Metal, Hardcore Punk and Jazz." I am inclined to agree with that assessment.

An example of how amazing their drummer is: a drum lesson involving a VERY simple setup, showing how fast, and how inventive and unique he is. And there's a Tama Starworks interview/show-off session. Sure, he talks about the drums a bit, but just listen to some of the stuff he does. Also, he did a wicked solo for Horse The Band.

Some samples:
My favourite song on their CD Mongrel, Jay Walking Backwards. Slow intro, then it just explodes. The lyrics are basically recounting a scene as the singer saw some homeless guy get hit by a car, while sitting in the back seat of some other car.

One of the most impressive parts of the album is what my brother and I call the "trashcan solo" in Sleeping With The Fishes, See? The solo begins at 2:20.

One of their songs off of the CD before Mongrel, Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear., has an actual music video, and showcases them in some of their catchier moments, as well as breaking into a random weird breakdown. Like a cat is a pretty good example of how random they can be sticking breakdowns like that in the middle of a song (the breakdown is just after 2 minutes).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #445 on: September 08, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
I've got this stuck in my head

SEMENAIDE KESANAIDE MAKENAIDE DARE DATTE MOTTERU HAZU YUZURENAI MONO
AI DAKE YUME DAKE KIMI DAKE SORE DAKE WA HANASANAI DONNA TOKI DEMO

Outlaw Star is probably my most favorite & most nostalgic anime ever

is this the wrong thread, I mean, it's about music, but yeah

Other anime OP/ED songs I've got running through my head are Itooshii Hito No Tame Ni and MASK.

Anybody else have songs used in anime that are recurring Ear Worms to them, or that mean anything special?

edit: added links
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:36:20 PM by Alice »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
I know the opening/endings to Outlaw Star by heart, and all of the vocal songs in Cowboy Bebop.

The ending of Ouran really stuck me with as being amazing, especially after I thought I'd hate the show and ended up loving it so much. See here:

Drastic My Soul from Scryed is another song that sticks with me.

Oh, the opening for Hajime no Ippo.
Ippo is my favorite show/manga of all time and I still remember borrowing the chinese knock-off subbed version from a friend and ending up absolutely mesmerized by the show even though the subs were laughably bad. And now I stay up to date with both the animated version (since they started making it again) and the manga.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #447 on: September 08, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
I don't know why I never really noticed the Ouran ending, that sounds pretty cool.  I liked that show a lot, too.

About the OP/EDs to Outlaw Star, do you have copies of the full versions at a bitrate better than 128kB/s?  I would love it if somebody could hook me up with anything better than the current MP3s I have.  I know there's probably a single that I could buy with all three songs from an import website, but I don't have a proper means of Interblag Playment Option.

Oh, I don't know how I forgot Rinbu Revolution, which I liked a bit, Uninstall, which I think is pretty awesome, and Get Along, another very influential song in my childhood. :)

edit: if you hadn't noticed, I like Masami Okui :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:32:21 PM by Alice »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:54 AM »
I had the 3 openings for Magic Knight Rayearth memorized... I could literally have the entire song play in my head start to finish.

Yuzurenai Negai
Kirai ni Narenai
Hikari to kage wo dakishimete mama

Hikari to kage was my favourite, and I knew but the japanese and dubbed lyrics to both Yurenai and Hikari to kage. And I knew the translation to the japanese lyrics well enough to know when they made up crap or changed the lyrics to make it work better in english. I also had the fandubbed spanish versions, and memorized the lyrics to those. I was somewhat obsessed, to say the least, with MKR for quite some time. I made a torrent of every episode, every OST, the SNES rom and a "OST" put together from all the music from the SNES rom that I manually ripped.

Another opening that I really love is Byakuya ~ True Light. Also, for nostalgia, this.

Uninstall is awesome, though I've yet to see Bokurano, Get Along is amazing, Rinbu Revolution is awesome. As for particular singers I like, Megumi Hayashibara is definitely on that list.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 09, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
I've got this stuck in my head

SEMENAIDE KESANAIDE MAKENAIDE DARE DATTE MOTTERU HAZU YUZURENAI MONO
AI DAKE YUME DAKE KIMI DAKE SORE DAKE WA HANASANAI DONNA TOKI DEMO

Oh goddamn it, I literally had this stuck in my head all day yesterday.

Outside of that it's only the really popular songs that get suck in my head (Trigun, Bebop, Black Lagoon is surprisingly catchy).