Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217341 times)

notHiro

• View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
So I might see Prefuse 73 on the 21st. So surprised he decided to come to Buffalo, especially in the winter.

First thing I thought was "It's like I'm really 15 and posting on a0.com again"

vladgd

« Reply #511 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
&feature=channel

i need the soundtrack to this game

*edit*

soundtrack get

good stuff
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:10:06 AM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #512 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
Thanks to SID Player Pro for iPhone, I've been listening to C64 tunes while I drive.

<3 SID.  That chip was way ahead of its time.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #513 on: January 22, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »
Agreed, there were some awesome composers on that chip, too. Rob Hubbard kicks major ass. He also did the Commando music along with Monty on the run, and many others. I think he single handedly wrote half the SID archive, lol. (Maybe not that much, but still.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty much a Rob Hubbard fanboi right now.  I've loved everything of his that I've heard so far.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #515 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
So, I finally decided to download the japanese version of Boris's album Smile. Big difference. Different track order, and completely different mixing, as well.

Overall Impression: MUCH better than the american release, and if you can find this one on CD, get it. Seriously, there isn't too much change to the track order, but the mixing makes a big big difference. There are lots of things that just get lost in the america release, due to the level that it was mastered at, and how much louder the guitars are than the vocals and drums.

Messeji - Very different feeling than the american one here. Still got the distorted guitars and bass, but much less noisy. Much more clean than the american release version. The american release sounds like someone turned it up so loud the whole track became distorted (which may well be the case).
Buzz-in - Still got the creepy opening. Sounds like it was mastered a bit lower than the american version. The levels are different. There are more weird sounds over top of the guitar, rather than the distorted guitar overriding everything. If anything, it's so much weirder than the american version. And the ending is different. It flows into Hanate!, the next track properly.
Hanate! - Much more sparse than the american, with a heavy distorted kick sound in the bakcground, and loud overdistorted guitars going in and out, but not covering the vocals up completely. Nor are the vocals turned up. You can hear what they're playing on the guitar much more clearly, rather than a mashup of crazy crap. And I should point out that the kicks, or floor tom hits, or whatever they are are WAY more distorted in this version. After 2 minutes in or so it begins to really diverge in mixing from the american version. The same sort of idea in what they did with it, but the japanese version is much better done, and you can hear things that were drowned out in the american release. It also doesn't cut out suddenly after the acoustic section begins, which is nice, because it really sounded like a bad touch in the american version, where they managed to sing 1 word or so, and suddenly get cut off.
Hana, Taiyou, Ame - This was the opening track of the american release. The japanese version has some percussion that was drowned out in the american version, and sounds a bit cleaner. The solo sound less like someone trying just to make noise and like a structured part of the song. The ending is cooler too. The instrument tracks fade out while the chanting of "Hana Taiyou Ame" continues until that too fades out.
Tonari no Sataan - Same cleanness found throughout the album. Mostly, the vocals are loud enough to sit on top of the guitar, rather than be drowned it in, creating an effect where even the heavily distorted guitar is easy to listen to, because it creates almost a texture in the background. There are some sounds that are apparent in this mix that aren't audible at all (or possibly aren't even present) in the american release. And at the 2 minute mark, where the song breaks into a solo, it sounds so much better. There's a second guitar creating a cool melody on top of the solo that really adds to it. The second solo is so much more in this version.
Kare Hate Ta Saki - This one's opening resembles the american one a lot. The biggest difference I can hear in this one is that you can actually hear the cymbals and such more clearly. Also, lots of weird talking and such later on. Apparently this done is shorter by a decent bit than the American release.
Kimi Ha Kasa O Sashi Te I Ta - Where the last song is shorter than the american release, this track is longer. The opening is clearer, you can tell that it's drumming with some effects (some sort of reverb that really distorts stuff almost like a ring mod). On top is a delicate guitar track and vocals that convey more emotion than the american release makes them sound. There's a bass guitar that isn't distorted in there as well that wasn't there in the american version (or wasn't audible anyway). This is one of the songs that the american version butchered, compared to it's japanese counterpart. I should point out that the drumming almost sounds like a train, chugging along in the background, and really comes out in this version. The second half of the song is still as distorted and forlorn sounding as it is in the american version, just clearer.
Hidden Track - Same as the rest: much clearer and easier to hear everything. Not too much diffeent mixing, really. Also, this one is 19 minutes, rather than 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:13:11 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #516 on: February 07, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »

ive been listening to some armin van burren at work and in transit to work lately, shit just makes me want to dance.

that and bagpipes.  trance and bagpipes, MAKE IT HAPPEN!  seriously though, bagpipes are good, trance is good, it's like chocolate and peanutbutter brah!

vladgd

« Reply #517 on: February 17, 2010, 03:44:57 AM »
this is worthy of double post

http://tindeck.com/listen/lqip

rap music, mass effect related...actually...good?  yep. 

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:58 AM »
I recently noticed my musical collection needs more Slayer, Nirvana, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and MF Doom. Any recommendations for albums?

vladgd

« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2010, 04:48:57 AM »
for doom, operation doomsday.

rhymes like dimes, god tier

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
Skip Nirvana, download Melvins instead.

As far as Slayer goes, Reign in Blood is generally considered their best.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:25:23 AM by Ulti »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #521 on: February 17, 2010, 06:27:21 AM »
Talib Kweli

I've listened to Eardrum, and it's a good album. It might be worth it to get Liberation, which is a collaboration with Madlib, who is absolutely amazing.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
Getting Eardrums now.

rhymes like dimes, god tier

haha, oh fuck the end lyrics to that song are awesome.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »
Started listening to Rush recently. They're fucking amazing. I wish I'd found out about them sooner.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
I know what you mean about Rush. It's thanks to Rock Band that I got introduced to them, hah.

If anyone listens to Animal Collective, their new album Merriweather Post Pavilion is awesome.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx