Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 215290 times)

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #585 on: August 08, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I've been listening to a LOT of dubstep. And lamenting the painful lack of bass on my laptop speakers.

Sometimes i feel like the only person on the planet that thinks dubstep is overrated. It's alright, but so many people are going 'BEST GENRE EVAARRRRRR' (pre-emptive note that I didn't include you in here) and I'm not sure why. :|

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #586 on: August 08, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
Well, it's the next big thing in the UK. But I agree that it's overrated. My brother said something along the lines of "man, it's sad, in a couple years I'm gonna think that the wobble bass was the dumbest idea ever, but man I love that stuff right now".

I admit that I really love the sound, but I'd never go to the point of being a fanboy. I don't just listen to it, anyway. I've got Wu-Tang Clan -Tearz playing right now, actually, lol.

And to be honest, when I first heard dubstep, I hated it (back when it was REALLY new).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #587 on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »
I've got Eiffel 65 up in my grill right now *nostalgia*

And to be honest, with the exception of songs like "Blue (Da Ba De)" and "Move Your Body" which were the most overplayed songs in the universe, most of their songs aren't all bad! They're just a little repetitive is all.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
It's gotten like stupidly popular, and I really have no idea what exactly makes dub step its own genre.

Also as far as Soulja boy goes

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
Dubstep's characterized by the off-beat drums and shit I think. I am pretty sure that is the main defining factor, look at the wiki page. I really don't care for artists like Caspa or Rusko much at all, I prefer older dubstep like Skream, Burial, or Kode9 to the more modern stuff. Wobble bass is just getting beaten death and and back again, even by bands that aren't dubstep (I am looking at you, The Bloody Beetroots!). But as far as a club genre goes, I am really happy that this is taking off as opposed to just more of the same hip-hop/rap stuff. Dubstep is something I can actually get into, assuming I am properly medicated.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 09, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
I'm definitely going to actually buy those CDs, but not with itunes. Evidently they rape the bands they represent.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #591 on: August 09, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »
Dubstep's characterized by the off-beat drums and shit I think. I am pretty sure that is the main defining factor, look at the wiki page.

I'd like to expand a bit. Dubstep is a fusion between the Breakbeat/Drum and Bass style breaks, mixed with Dub, and Grime, all rolled into one. Of course, there are varying influences in individual artists and such, but that's the summery of it's main influences. It doesn't need to have offbeat drums, there's lots of it out there that has basic 4/4 beats.

The original Dub genre, where Dubstep gets it's name, happens to be a sorta subgenre of reggae. It bares almost no resemblance to reggae any more, though. It's basically the riddim from reggae tracks that has been remixed and such, emphasizing the drums and bass. Basically, the more laid back and empty sounding dubstep that lacks wobble bass sounds a lot like Dub.

The influences from Drum and Bass and Grime are what give Dubstep it's offbeat drums (DnB), dark sound (DnB) and crazy basses (Grime, well, sorta).

Example tracks:
Dub:

Grime:
  I dunno how representative this track is, because I know very little about grime. If it helps, Dizzee Rascal is also grime.
Dubstep Example 1 (no wobble bass!):
  This track is really laid back, has no real crazy bass, but is still considered dubstep.
Dubstep Example 2: (crazy fucking bass):
  This is probably one of my favourite dubstep tracks of all time. It does have wobble bass, but uses it in a really unique way, and mixes it with some really high end synth.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 17, 2010, 02:39:30 AM »

I remember you gents going on about the Flashbulb, and I really dig this song/video.

Also I want a recommendable Type O negative Album.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #593 on: August 18, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »
Downloaded Pendulum's newest album. Pretty awesome stuff. I definitely like their mixture of rock and DnB sounds, and their experimentation in this album. Set Me On Fire is one of the tracks that stands out for me, but that's partly because it's one of the best dubstep tracks I've heard in a while. I like how they've really begun creating more laid back tracks as well as their crazy stuff. I mean, listen to Under The Waves. And there's a track, Self Vs Self, that features In Flames. It sounds a bit out of place, but it's pretty cool. Not the greatest track on the album by any means, but not bad.

Overall, the album is a pretty good example of a band exploring their take on different genres, and doing it well.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 18, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
Yeah, the new Pendulum album is alright. I saw them live a little while before they dropped it and it built my expectations for it up to retarded extremes, since it was a great show, but the album wasn't terrible either. I personally would rather have seen them stick with more straightforward DnB (ala Hold your Colour) than try to do all the rock stuff, since in my opinion they're not that great at it (Whoever writes their lyrics should be punched, they're almost as silly as dragonforks, but I had this same complaint about In Silico), but there's still a lot of good songs. That one featuring Steven Wilson is pretty kickass, I almost shit my pants when I saw he was featured on the album. I could just do without that In Flames song, since I haven't been able to listen to anything that band has made since like the 80's :<

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #595 on: August 18, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
Heh, The Fountain (Feat. Steven Wilson) Is playing right now, actually. It's a great track.

I was never a fa of In Silico, but I'm really enjoying this album. I actually kinda like some of the tracks that mix DnB with Rock. Mind you, Self Vs Self is pretty much trash.

After having listened through the album a couple times, I've gotta say that Set Me On Fire is my favourite track, simply because it's Pendulum doing dubstep, and fucking KILLing. Crush and Under The Waves are good, and the other standout track(s) are The Island (1 and 2). I really love that they're experimenting with a more House/Electro sound with those. It works really well.

But yeah, I kinda wish they had stuck with stuff like Hold Your Color. That album was goddamned brilliant.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
Hahaha, yeah, the first time I heard The Island I thought they'd turned into Deadmau5.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 20, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »

5 years late woo

God I love pure pop stuff like this though. La Roux's pretty good for that too.

And then the ultimate in pop anthems for me.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #598 on: August 21, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »
Wow, just...wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2uNnLkKYIQ

How did that manage to slip under my radar?  That's...seriously awesome.

In case you can't read YouTube URLs (shame, shame), that's a video from 2004 of Linkin Park doing a live cover of NIN's Wish*...and it's damn good!

If only they put that much brutality into their studio albums... (I like LP up to Metora; Minutes to Midnight is very much hit or miss).

*Disclaimer: DEP's live covers of it are fantastic as well, but DEP and NIN mesh a bit more than LP and NIN, I think.  Edit: Here's a video link to that'un: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qboe5CebixA.  I wouldn't advise watching it in fullscreen.  The video was shot with a DSLR camera and the strobes will really fuck with your eyes thanks to how the sensor works.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:18:42 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »
I'm not sure how I managed to miss it until now, but Squarepusher's Just A Souvenir is a pretty damn awesome album. I always forget that I like Squarepusher :<