Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 215309 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #600 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »
Dubstep is making a rise in popularity in the rave scene, and it has quite a specific song that ravers are in to.. There are some great varying styles of dubstep, but this is the most mainstream for the underground:

&playnext=1&index=3

datsik, rusko, excision, etc.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
Hell, not just the rave scene. In the UK Dubstep is replacing DnB as the major mainstream electronic music craze. And yeah, that stuff is the most common rave scene style. Despite the fact that it bears almost no resemblance to what Rusko and others created when the genre was beginning to take shape. And hell Chase and Status are now into Dubstep. If that doesn't signal that DnB is losing it's popularity (:<) I dunno what is.

Amusingly enough, a Excision and Zeds Dead are Canadian.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2010, 04:21:25 PM »
So is deadmau5 :(

fucking canada stealing all the music
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

K-Mann

« Reply #603 on: August 25, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
So is Venetian Snares, knifehandchop, DJ Champion and Kid Koala. And thats only well know electronic bands ;)

I love music  :D

The big ones I am really enjoying right now are:

edIT
sayCeT
utabi
Ulrich Schnauss

Hella chillout/glitch hop/ trip hop. Slower stuff. My most recent iPod playlist includes all of the above mentioned, plus a bit more m1dy, a bit less Pendulum, a bit more Boards of Canada, a bit less Flashbulb. My tastes palate has expanded and become a little more picky :p

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #604 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:51 AM »
w00t for canada :P

I can't say that my tastes are remotely close to picky, but I do have stuff I prefer more than others. I can rarely ever listen to old Flashbulb (pre-Kirilian Selections), and I have come to hate most speedcore (though some m1dy is ok), but I still really love glitch.

Also, in case you didn't know about it, there's a wicked internet radio at http://www.somafm.com that has some awesome stuff. They've got a number of different streams on there, and a couple of them have downtempo/glitch/chillout type stuff. I hear a lot of flashbulb/autechre/whatever else on their cliqhop chanel.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »
&feature=related

Goddamn love this song, and it took me forever to find out the name of it.

(Whoever writes their lyrics should be punched, they're almost as silly as dragonforks, but I had this same complaint about In Silico)

I'd second that. I love propane nightmares, but the lyrics are pretty dumb.

*Disclaimer: DEP's live covers of it are fantastic as well, but DEP and NIN mesh a bit more than LP and NIN, I think.

I'd definitely agree, but I'm far from familiar with DEP and I wasn't a huge fan of how LP handled the vocals and the guitar parts.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:54:21 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #606 on: August 26, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
I'd definitely agree, but I'm far from familiar with DEP and I wasn't a huge fan of how LP handled the vocals and the guitar parts.

I kind of like the dynamics of how LP did the guitar work.  It seemed a bit less wall-of-noisey than the more NIN-style covers.  As far as the vocal work, Chester's voice is a bit more grating than Trent or Greg Puciato's, but I thought his performance was intense as hell (aside from the "I HATE EVERYONE" part...that sounded humorously off).

That said, any cover of Wish is worth listening to just to hear the singer yell "FIST FUCK."
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
I really wish LP had gone for a more hybred sound with their later stuff, rather than just turning into the mindless rock they are now. Chester is a legitimately good screamer, and Mike's hip-hop influences made them a very unique sounding band, back in the Hybred Theory days. Since then they've basically just become shit, IMO. I never really liked Meteora, and I was practically the only one I knew who actually had Reanimation. I fucking loved Reanimation, so when they came out with Meteora my reaction was like "The fuck is this shit?" And Minutes To Midnight, well that's just trash.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #608 on: August 26, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »
Hybrid Theory and Reanimation both fucking rocked.  No doubt about that.

I thought that Meteora was decent.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it definitely had some catchy stuff on it.  As for Minutes To Midnight, well...that one had a couple of good tracks, but it was generally underwhelming (to put it gently).  I like Mike's style a lot, and it's really a shame that his talents are being downplayed for the most part.

If you haven't already acquired it, I'd suggest looking for some of their old demo tracks and the Hybrid Theory EP.  The quality isn't the best (I think they recorded it in Mike's apartment, haha) but it's amazing how good they were even before Hybrid Theory was released.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »
Yeah, my brother and I both had those tracks. High Voltage kicks ass.

I really wish they had stayed making that style of hip-hop/rock.

I didn't hate Meteora with a passion or something, but it was a HUGE let down for me, especially after reanimation was kinda like a return to their more hip-hop sound. And about the only track I actually liked was Nobody's Listening, which seemed to piss my brother off, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
w00t for canada :P

I can't say that my tastes are remotely close to picky, but I do have stuff I prefer more than others. I can rarely ever listen to old Flashbulb (pre-Kirilian Selections), and I have come to hate most speedcore (though some m1dy is ok), but I still really love glitch.

Also, in case you didn't know about it, there's a wicked internet radio at http://www.somafm.com that has some awesome stuff. They've got a number of different streams on there, and a couple of them have downtempo/glitch/chillout type stuff. I hear a lot of flashbulb/autechre/whatever else on their cliqhop chanel.

Sure did, been there a lot. Its got some good stuff. Its where I heard sayCeT for the first time. And on buzzoutroom I heard Ulrich Schnauss for the first time. That radio is REALLY sick for chillout and ambient stuff. I listened to it in college virtually every day. Really recommend it for chilled out down tempo stuff. Excellent stuff.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:14:02 PM by K-Mann »

vladgd

« Reply #611 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
ive posted this before, but im posting it again just incase one of y'all know what im talking about.  i require the names of the musics in this video.  there's two in particular i am interested in.

0:57

3:07

not sure if they are both different groups, or it's mixed together good, but any info would be nice because this is good effin music. 

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2010, 12:22:29 AM »
http://www.lyricsaholic.com/sage-francis-locksmith-lyrics.html

Those are the lyrics for the first track (first thing google showed up for lyrics i feel a little apprehensive)

The other one, I can't seem to find.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:14:25 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
Sage Francis has some good stuff, despite it being really corny.

vladgd

« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2010, 04:41:17 AM »
apparently it's a colab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromantics

wellp, that search was a success, 'preciate the assistance.  

*eiedtt*

Macromantics - Apple Crumble

I REQUIRE MORE

Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja

i like this, but, even for me, this is really strange.  it's the line between "i want to laugh at this" and "you know, it's honestly pretty good"

i still laugh at how things i hated i now like and things i loved i now hate.

i HATED HATED HATED rap as a kid, it's half of what i listen to today.

i pretty much only listened to pissy emo stuff as a kid (linkin park, papa roach, you get the drift).  that stuff is the bottom of the music foodchain for me today.  

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:01:25 AM by vladgd »