Author Topic: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)  (Read 217390 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Music Discussion Thread (No Flaming!)
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »
Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja

What. The. Fuck.

I don't know what to think at all.

it's the line between "i want to laugh at this" and "you know, it's honestly pretty good"

Perfect description of it, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progeria So what's why that one dude looked so fucked up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:48:37 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »
for a while i thought it was makeup, but that dude is real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Botha

*eeeidtt*

so listening to die antwoord's "$O$ album (since it's a free release and all), this stuff is still weird.  

more weird in it's bilingual stuff, afrikaans and english.  

example

as for what to expect, afrikaans sounds dutch...since the language came from dutch.    
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:14:27 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #617 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
Yeah, Afrikaans is bastardised dutch, lol.

I guess I'm gonna check $O$ out sometime too, sounds interesting.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #618 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:21 AM »
having spent the day listening to said album at work/in transit/home.  im going to just compare them to sharpnel.  

starts out sounding retarded, but there's something there to keep you listening.  eventually you get used to the weirdness and just end up liking it for not being serious.  

BOTH ON LOOP CANT STOP LISTENING, SO DAMN CATCHY, YO-LANDI's VOICE IS AWESOME, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

a funny thought, walk into a little caesars to get a pizza, and hearing one of those songs being played in the back.  ololol.  i mean i went through the album about three times in my shift today.  

had to do it

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »
God damn it Vlad what have you done to me?

it's so weird and catchy, and why am I so attracted to this 12 year old looking girl?

vladgd

« Reply #620 on: September 01, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »
yo-landi 12?

take another look.

talking normally, i got that they aren't native english speaking south africans.  i still find it odd how singing/rapping can cover up an accent.  

and i got a few bros into this stuff, pretty baller.  

*edit*

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Die_Antwoord:Beat_Boy

read the lyrics with no context to the song, hell, even with the song playing, it's silly.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:13:08 AM by vladgd »

vladgd

« Reply #621 on: September 11, 2010, 04:27:20 AM »
YOU WANT CATCHY AND RANDOMLY STUCK IN MY HEAD FOR A MONTH AND I HAVENT HEARD THE SONG IN TEN YEARS

THIS FUCKER

FUCK

at least it's good

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #622 on: September 16, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
Wow, the new Linkin Park CD is fucking hideous.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #623 on: September 17, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
Been listening to a lot of classical piano music. Hungarian Rhapsody in C Major makes me tingle all over every time I listen to it. Really anything by Franz Liszt is fantastic though.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #624 on: September 17, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »
I don't know much Liszt, aside from the Hungarian Rhapsody and La Campanella (particularly, Arthur Rubinstein's rendition), what else of his would you recommend? Do you have a favourite version of The Rhapsody?

Personally, I've always loved Chopin. Especially his Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, particularly Rubinstein's (again) rendition. I find that his dynamics feel perfectly placed, and his timing is just right. His trills especially seem to have perfect timing. Yundi does an alright rendition, but his trills seem rushed and slightly off time sometimes. And he places dynamics in the actual trills, which bothers me a bit. The only other real gripe I have about his performance of it is that his left hand is a bit heavy, where Rubinstein's feels controlled and lets the music convey the emotion, rather than the playing. And I can't say I like Rachmaninoff's rendition of it at all. And I must say I'm a fan of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I'm not a huge fan of orchestral arrangements for some reason though. I find I prefer solo piano or string arrangements, so that would definitely bias me.

And yes, I do have a thing for Rubinstein's playing. It always feels like he's playing the piece with such a technical mastery that its not his playing that you feel, but the beauty of the composition itself. I've always felt that when you hear someone's rendition of a piece, and they play it a bit differently, that you were listening to a unique piece of music and that the way the song was played had a huge effect on the emotion that you felt from it, but he seem to make his playing transparent, so that the original intent of the piece shows through. Well, that's what it feels like to me anyway.

Other than that, I absolutely love Erik Satie. Technically we're really getting out of the "classical" waters with him, but he basically introduced minimalism to music, as well as broke so many rules about composing, that it's hard not to like him. His music just has a weird haunting quality to the odd choices of harmony, especially in his Gymnopedies.\\

Out of curiocity, have you heard of Maksim Mrvica? If so, what do you think of what he's doing to classical music pieces. He's basically trying to "make classical music cool", but in the process, tends to "dumb down" the tracks, and leave out a lot of stuff. I don't think he's quite as talented as he's made out to be... Though I still think he is a hell of a pianist.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #625 on: September 18, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
youtube is such a good tool for finding music to show people, so excuse most of my posts here having youtube links about the music i am talking about. 

been listening to paul oakenfold live in sydney and it's one mp3 at over an hour long.  so i had to hunt down one of the songs, and i found it.

silence

i just love driving to this song with ear destroying loud volume, surprised the singers voice doesn't shatter my windshield.  it's good. 

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #626 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:07 AM »
Excuse? I'd like to encourage it. Honestly, I use Youtube for music more than anything else, by quite a large margin.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #627 on: September 19, 2010, 04:20:58 AM »
Wow, the new Linkin Park CD is fucking hideous.

Okay, I gave it another listen to be a bit more fair.  It's definitely experimental, though I'd probably consider it a failed experiment.  Too much filler, not enough substance, all in all.  I really think that Linkin Park was overextending themselves a bit.  They had a decent concept with the album, but Mike in particular seemed to be particularly out of his element.  His style simply doesn't fit the musical style of the new album.  Additionally, some songs that could have been quite good (Blackout is the best example that I can think of) are seriously degraded by the overuse of effects.  In Blackout's case, there is an intense and overall awesome lead-in by Chester turns into a mess of poorly sampled and manipulated vocal clips between 2:20 and 3:00, going from reasonably tolerable at first to downright annoying by the end of it.  The rest of the song is fine, but that one part is just so awful that I can't get over it.  It seriously sounds like someone who just downloaded the trial for FL Studio, managed to get Chester to belt out a few lines, then decided to go and hit random keys on the keyboard to hear it in different pitches.  I'm not joking or exaggerating, it's seriously a mess of short, randomly pitched samples.  It's an awful segment of an otherwise good song.

Ugh.  I think I'm going to listen to something else now.  I'm upsetting myself.

K-Mann

« Reply #628 on: September 19, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
I haven't heard any of the new album... but I know I heard a song from it last night on the radio in the car (me and Dad were going to get ice cream). And the funny thing is, even though the DJ never announced who it was before the song played, my Dad thought it sounded like Linkin Park before I did haha.

Gonna have to listen to the album on something other than car speakers.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #629 on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
Heh, yeah, it's pretty much a complete deviation from their old stuff.  It's hard to place if you're not listening closely to the vocals (unless Mike is rapping; he kind of stands out like a sore thumb on their new album).