Author Topic: HAY GUYS IM NOO 2 STEPMANIA  (Read 16942 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: HAY GUYS IM NOO 2 STEPMANIA
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
Code: [Select]
Pooptop:/home/kuroneko# startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2085

X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Pooptop:/home/kuroneko#

:(

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 10:31:37 PM »
Oh.

The reason you probably aren't seeing that file is because files beginning with a period are, by default, hidden by ls.  This is to make your home directory appear less cluttered.

Do "ls -a /tmp" and you should see ".X0-lock" -- delete it and try starting X.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
Oh.

The reason you probably aren't seeing that file is because files beginning with a period are, by default, hidden by ls.  This is to make your home directory appear less cluttered.

Do "ls -a /tmp" and you should see ".X0-lock" -- delete it and try starting X.

You're awesome xD

Looks like X-Window system is running now; what exactly is the point of it?  I notice that it says "root's Home" instead of "kuroneko's Home," and that my ecchi desktop is now a debian symbol.  Lolz.  Also, xterm works now.  Neato.  Also it's as slow as hell (compared to what I was just using...).

Also, the command "glxinfo" still doesn't exist.  Dubbya tee eff.

Okay, after getting mesa-utils (which I thought I had but apparently not) it works now.

direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Inderect

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 12:38:56 AM »
The X Window system is basically like the GUI of Windows.  It keeps you from having to stare at a command prompt all day.  It also provides numerous services to applications, such as hardware abstracted graphics acceleration and the like.

As for why your desktop is different, you were logged in as root when you were at that command prompt.  When you see a pound sign (#) as the prompt, you are root.  When you see a dollar sign, you are an unprivileged user (in this case, kuroneko).

Don't drop out of root yet; drop back into a normal command prompt and type "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf".

I don't remember what Debian's default configuration looks like, but they're generally all pretty similar.  In the Module section of the file, make sure that these two lines exist:

Load "glx"
Load "dri"

If they exist but are commented (i.e. have a pound sign in front of them, just like MegaZeux's config), uncomment them.

Now stroll down to the ServerLayout section.  Take a look at what the Screen line says.  Now, look for the Screen section that has that identifier.  When you get there, look at the Device line.  Now, as you may have guessed, you're going to want to look for the Device section that has that name.

Somewhere in that Device section you should see a Driver line.  Make sure that the driver is set to "i810".

Now, at the end of the file, add the following lines if they aren't already there:

Code: [Select]
Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

That section allows non-root users to use hardware acceleration.

Alright, now try to start X.

If X fails to start you'll probably need to install the i810 module.  Start up aptitude, type forward-slash, then "i810" to search for it.  Repeat the search (just press forward-slash, then enter, and it'll give you the next result) until you get to the appropriate package (it's called "xf86-video-i810" in Gentoo; I think it has a similar name in Debian).  Press shift+=, then 'g' twice to install it.  Quit aptitude and try starting X again.

When you get X running, do the "glxinfo | grep direct" again.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »
xorg.conf was already set up like that.  There wasn't anything, at all, that I had to change.  Also I hate my comma key so if I stop using it at any point just pretend there's a bunch of commas there. :)

It's called XFCom-i810-glibc2_1-1_0_0-rh61_i386.rpm, and it's sitting in /home/kuroneko because I have no idea what to do with it; all I know is that it's the latest driver for the i810.  X is running fine and glxinfo is returning the exact same thing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:32:50 AM by Kuroneko »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 03:10:49 AM »
That file is an RPM so your package manager won't work with it (Debian's package manager works with deb files).  Also, it's for an older version of glibc than your install has (that one's for 2.1; Debian Etch has 2.2.X installed) so, more than likely, it won't work even if you used an RPM installer to add it to your system (not that I recommend that -- using multiple package managers is a big no-no).

Take a look through aptitude to see if there's a kernel module for the i810 driver.  If so, install it, reboot, and try again.  If not, you're probably going to have to recompile your kernel.  If it gets to that point, your best bet would probably be to let me ssh into your box if at all possible -- configuring a kernel is kinda tough, not to mention that it's a tricky process to explain.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 05:20:22 PM »
Too bad there isn't an easy way to say, "Hey, fuckbag, directly render this shit or else I'll rope your balls and drag you along i25 at 88 miles per hour.  You'd wish you were Marty fucking McFly then."

Doesn't look like there's much else I can do than recompile; I'll go back and see if I missed something, though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »
Yeah, I feel like doing the exact same thing sometimes.  Linux can be bitchy at times.

Also, your Crocomire avatar is hilarious.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
Yeah, I feel like doing the exact same thing sometimes.  Linux can be bitchy at times.

Also, your Crocomire avatar is hilarious.

Glad I'm not the only one <3

You mean, the one with 16-bit Crocomire animating on 8-bit Ridley blocks?  You're silly xD

When you recompile a Linux kernel, are any files elsewhere lost?  IE downloaded packages, /home/blah.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »
Linux can be bitchy at times.

Understatement detected!!!

There is absolutely no reason my computer shouldn't run linux, but every single time I try to install it, something goes horribly wrong and linux blows up, or windows blows up.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »
You mean, the one with 16-bit Crocomire animating on 8-bit Ridley blocks?  You're silly xD

YES.

When you recompile a Linux kernel, are any files elsewhere lost?  IE downloaded packages, /home/blah.

Negative -- it's just like compiling any other program.