Author Topic: The "Post Your Desktop" Thread  (Read 91900 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: The "Post Your Desktop" Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
Yeah, going from C++ to C# or Java is a bit more daunting than going between C# and Java.  I think it's mostly because Java and C# were both designed from the get-go to be object-oriented languages, while C++ essentially bolts OOP features to a pure procedural language.  That being said, there is plenty to be confused at when switching between C# and Java, though that mainly has to do with naming conventions (i.e. CamelCase with C# and camelBack for Java -- it's hard to keep myself from typing .ToString() instead of .toString() after six years of writing C#), getting to know the various packages to use the language features, and things like that.  In some ways, the similarity of the two languages makes the transition a bit harder, since it kind of makes you do the wrong thing out of habit.  Fortunately, it's all things that would get picked up by the compiler and nothing that would cause serious code breakage.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Yeah, you've got a good point, small differences like that can really get annoying sometimes, lol.

Was the Minecraft code obfuscated after you decompiled it? I've been thinking of taking a look at some of the code to see how the game does some stuff.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:56 AM »
Fortunately, many of the common functions are the same.  The main difference is the case.  The transition has been easier than I thought, which is surprising as I'm not even using an editor with autocomplete.  I've been using Notepad++ because I fucking hate Eclipse and NetBean (to be fair, I've only used them to edit PHP, but I honestly can't see their incredibly intrusive, borderline-obnoxious, and virtually unconfigurable auto-correction being any better with Java, even if it is made for it).

And yeah, Minecraft's code is obfuscated.  Fortunately, there is a package called the Minecraft Coder's Pack that makes developing it much easier.  It's a Python-based set of development tools that deobfuscates much of Minecraft's source code, provides you with a means of testing your code outside of your live %appdata%\.minecraft directory, and allows you to easily reobfuscate the code, even splitting off the class files that changed so that you could easily package and distribute them.  It's fantastic.

I'm still holding out for the official mod development kit, if that ever comes to fruition.  One of my motivations for using source control (Mercurial, because it rocks the shit out of CVS/SVN...Git's cool, too) is because I'm too lazy to use patch. :p

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
Ahh. I hope the mod development kit does come out.... There are plenty of cool mods as it is, but making it more accessible would allow amateur modders the ability to jump in and start making changes without worrying about the headaches that come with making unsupported mods.

I think if I ever work on a project large enough to warrant using source control, Ill look into Git. I hear it's pretty cool.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
Mercurial is another great source control package, and I prefer it to Git because I started using that one first. ;)  In all seriousness, I do find myself liking TortoiseHg far more than Git Extensions.  Git Extensions would work great on a system with a limited screen resolution, but TortoiseHg makes better use of its space.

Regardless of which one you choose, both of them have a similar workflow.  You clone projects (rather than checking them out) and, if you have write access, you simply push your changes up to the server to be checked over and/or merged by the project maintainer.  The best part is that you don't have to go through the hassle of setting up a server to handle it; it can do everything locally with no fuss.

SVN/CVS are fucking awful in comparison.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »
AHHHH, MY CHILDHOOD! FUCKIN' A:

Click to enlarge, as always. Full size is 2560x1440 at around 1.07MB.

Also: bump.