Author Topic: So, that d20 thing we were going to try.  (Read 14698 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
So, that d20 thing we were going to try.
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
Alright, well, I've got the necessary rulebooks, and have been formulating a campaign. I think I've got the storyline down.

Now, if I'm going to continue on and actually like, learn the rules and get openrpg and make maps and things, I need to be sure that I'm going to have people who want to play.

The game plays just like D&D, it's the same system, just in a different setting, with slightly different rules for weaponry and stuff, as we'll be shootin' the guns for the most part. Stats and character creation are the same, if not a little simpler. Feats and skills are the only real differences, although there's a large amount of overlap. Basically, if you've played D&D, you're fine.

I'll get to work on having everything modified to my liking and ready to go if I can get three or four people. I should be ready by this weekend.

Also, questions, you can ask them. I can try to answer them. :U

Here's the information you need for making your characters. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9IZ0RY57

You'll be starting out at level 2.

People playing

Aldrasio
Sharde
Semicolon
Piroteknix

Here's a necessary backstory blurb so you can make your characters.

About the universe:

It's roughly 2234, roughly 150 years after first contact with an alien species. Unluckily for us, they seem quite determined to wipe out humanity, without a second thought. In 2098, They (as humanity refers to them, as they have yet to initiate any communication) staged a massive attack on earth, literally erasing the entire western hemisphere, causing a mass extinction, and killing off nearly half the population of earth. However, the attack was repelled before further damage was inflicted, however the mystery of how such a large fleet slipped into earth orbit completely undetected still manages to baffle scientists. Luckily, humanity pulled itself out of the rubble, and began reconstruction almost immediately, with the cities on Mars and the Moon becoming the main centers of power, forming a unified government. It's only in the last 50 years that earth's surface has been completely reclaimed, although conditions are often harsh outside of cities. Many larger asteroids and the moons of Mars have been colonized as well, along with a handful of extraplanetary systems, although they're all within a fairly small radius.

Faster-than-light travel has been developed, but it's mostly the domain ofthe military and a small  group of private corporations specializing in moving industrial goods in bulk. Regardless of your character's colony of origin or social status, they're all answering the call of the  largest organization in human history, the Terran Military Coalition - Providing a stable source of income and some sense of belonging for the myriads of unemployed young people, or simply those who feel it's their duty to serve their species. Regardless of background, education, or morals, members of the TMC are humanity's first defense against extraterrestrial threats.

Here's some information for clarity on the backstory, just core facts.

- Faster-than-light transportation was discovered around 2070, hooray theoretical physics turning out to work. Colonization both inside and outside of the solar system immediately ensued.
-English is still the primary languages, although asian languages are still spoken. The Earth had a unified government prior to the initial alien attack, and english was the primary language worldwide.
- Cybernetics are very highly controlled, and for the most part illegal. The first instances of such technology surfaced around 2150, although it's not exactly clear when they first were created, or who made them.
- Most combat between humanity and Them take place in space, although ground combat is still quite common, as They are prefectly content to land and level colonies as they see fit.
- Military service is mandatory, but it's more of a national-guard-esque thing, where all able-bodied men are required to do a year of training and serve as defense forces for their respective colonies, essentially as part of their schooling, at the age of 21. All extraplanetary combat, ie offensives, are done by voulenteers. Joining the military isn't just something for people who are suicidal, either, it's a completely legitimate way to earn a living, as you get paid, and in addition all your basic needs are provided for while in the service.
- 97% of people don't own their own space vessels, you'd either have to be in the business of transporting goods or people, be a smuggler or pirate, or be in the military.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:13:30 PM by Ulti »

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
Re: So, that d20 thing we were going to try.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
I'll join. I don't know if I'll contribute much, though.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »
Ah well, I'll have fun :U

That's at least one.

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »
Boop.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »
Alright. I managed to find character sheets for d20 modern, so I'll PM you guys those, along with the modifications that are going to be necessary. There's no magic in the universe I'm planning, it's going to be realistic, for the most part.

Edit: I also found a rulebook of the core d20 modern game, which has all the mechanics in it, although it doesn't have all the extra skills, feats, or occupations that are in d20 future. I'll have to type those up for you guys. Also I'm going to be making equipment, at least weaponry, myself.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »
I'LL JOIN

As soon as I get openrpg. :)

And, if it bitches about my OpenGL direct rendering (or lack of), as soon as Spectere and me recompile my kernel.  My popcorn is so important to me, you see ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:56:40 PM by Kuroneko »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
I haven't even attempted to get openrpg yet.

Oh man so I got this book of guns for d20 modern, it's so awesome, it has like every single firearm ever made and like an entire essay about each one.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:12:41 PM »
I might be interested. I'm in the "no openrpg yet" boat as well though.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 11:14:46 PM »
I'm just downloading it now. If I can't figure openrpg out, we can still just do it over IRC, although it will take an ungodly large amount of imagination, along with you guys actually needing dice and things. I think there's other programs that do the same thing, too.

Also: 1000get.

Also also: actually commit, guys! I need to know how difficult to make everything. 3 people, vs 5 people, is a big difference, rofl. Also I'm going to cap it at 6 people.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »
Lol, creative? Ever Roleplay over MSN, or any other text only chat system? When you have no dice, and the only thing you have is your imagination, things get interesting, and creative, by comparison, the D20 system is VERY restricting.

There are tons of dice roller programs out there.

Also, most monsters/enemies are rated by what level a 4 person party should be to kill them, so you'd only have to take that into account and have us slightly higher level if we were a 3 person party, or slightly lower if we were 5 or 6 people...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
CR is a joke. It simply doesn't work. I've played in countless campaigns, and any campaign with halfway competent players can destroy an appropriate CRed creature very easily 9 times out of 10.

For reference, the normal, shitty rule on CR is that a properly balanced party of 4 adventurers can kill a monster with a CR equal to their level by expending approximately one-quarter of their resources.

lolwut

If a party of level 2s burned through a quarter of their ammo/hp/etc. every time they fought a CR2...lmfao. They'd get nowhere.

Also: Ulti, the fill-in-the-blanks PDF character sheet is dumpy, it won't let you save the filled-in copy for unknown reason. I'll just do up a notepaddy formatting guide for characters after I finish cutting the PDFs properly.

EDIT: There's some other crap we need to cover too. WHY AREN'T YOU ON AIM? SCHOOL IS LESS IMPORTANT.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:15:47 AM by Sharde »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:45:49 PM »
Hahaha, I am too on aim! I just decided to turn off my computer overnight for the first time in a week or two.

Also: CR is irrelevant here, I'm making all the creatures and weaponry from scratch.

Also also: Yeah, I've done RP-ing outside of an actual system, but this makes combat a bit more structured, if you ask me. It seems more fair, other than "I shoot u in hed" "no u dun', u miss."

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
I was on FFXI for a while, PLing some JPers. Get back on AIM.

Proof that I was legitimately fighting xenophobia (giant because I'm too lazy to resize):

No english person would ever intentionally type {Thank you.} !PT {Disbanding party.} very very thanks ! hollyknight(star)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »
You only get that if you're RPing with idiots. Freeform RP (as I'll refer to it now) is much less structured, however, it allows a lot more room for imagination.
It allows for stupid people to be even dumber, but if you're in a group of good RPers, you can make some interesting things.

Hell, I knew one person who actually had a 100 post intro for his character. (100 posts on lycos chat, not sure on other things with different word limits.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 06:47:44 PM »
Posted the backstory portion, it should be enough to give you ideas when making your character. I should have the required materials and sheets for that up by the end of the night.

Also: I think we're going to use openrpg, but only because of the fact that it has a map and dice roller, I'm having trouble figuring out how the heck to use the rest of the program, like the actual game features that end up automating most of the things. So some of the responsibility is going to be on you guys, having your character sheets ready and properly filled out, etc.