Author Topic: Uplink  (Read 18110 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Uplink
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »
Lol, yeah, I've been making sure I've got huge sets. I'm also using servers I get to come back to for missions, so when I go wipe the logs for my current mission, I wipe all previous logs too, breaking them in more than one place. I have enough time to wipe the logs on the active hack, as well as on interNIC.

Also, what are the orange colored servers on the map? Immutex Computers International Bank is orange, and I don't think it was before my last mission.

EDIT: Jesus Christ this game is hard. I got to the point where they wanted me to destroy mainframes, and hack the criminal database, but I couldn't get it done, and got caught.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:49:01 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »
Yeah man, the game ain't as easy as I thought it was lol. Its pretty damn hard, and therres ALOT of shit you gotta get used to. Learn from your mistakes! :P

Also, another thing I'm stuck on. The missions where they want me to go into a place and it sais to "destroy ALL files I see in there". Well I did that 1 time before, went into the file list and deleted EVERYTHING possible, even all the log files, and when I tried to reply for a  mission completion, they said it wasn't done yet, or they "didn't hear about it yet"  :-\

Edit: Nevermind! Figured it out myself. Gotta wait for it to appear in the news before handing it in! :D

Ugh, another edit, how the hell does the monitor bypass work??!??
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:16:05 PM by NewF »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »
When you get the HUD update, it should put an icon behind the "send mail" one, and you have to open it. When it's analyzed the network, you open the bypass and drop the icon it makes on the monitor, or whatever you happen to have to bypass. Oh, and you also have to have the right level bypass or it won't work.

My main problem with the game is running out of money and being unable to get the necessary upgrades to make more.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
Yeah, what Boobi-err, Bobbias said.  One little clarification about the bypass levels -- you need either the level that they're using or above.  If you want to get the level of the gear that the remote site is using without having to connect to it, buy the IP Probe.  It'll scan the server and send you a mail with the security systems that they have in place.

Lol, yeah, I've been making sure I've got huge sets. I'm also using servers I get to come back to for missions, so when I go wipe the logs for my current mission, I wipe all previous logs too, breaking them in more than one place. I have enough time to wipe the logs on the active hack, as well as on interNIC.

I wouldn't worry about wiping the logs on the active hack.  All it does is waste time since, by the time you do the mission, the active and passive traces have both passed that point.

The one thing that I'm not sure about right now is whether passive traces start where the active traces left off.  I'll have to look into that.  I bought the developers CD, so I have the source code at my disposal for finding such things out. ;D

Also, what are the orange colored servers on the map? Immutex Computers International Bank is orange, and I don't think it was before my last mission.

That introduced that in one of the later versions.  I haven't played with them as much as 1.31 and earlier, but IIRC, the orange dots are your current mission targets.

EDIT: Jesus Christ this game is hard. I got to the point where they wanted me to destroy mainframes, and hack the criminal database, but I couldn't get it done, and got caught.

Yeah, that sort of thing is hard when you're first starting out.  The decrypter software takes quite a while to run, so your best bet would be to either do an exceptionally long bounce path or to upgrade your CPU.  Fortunately, a 200GHz processor can be had fairly cheaply (12000 credits, I believe), so I'd go with that method.  Make sure the decrypter is upgraded to the highest level.

After you break into the system your time will probably be limited.  What I generally do is go into the security menu as admin, shut off the security systems, and disconnect.  I zap my logs from InterNIC real fast, then connect again.  With the monitor out of the picture it takes a bit longer for them to start tracing you, plus the admin password wouldn't have been invalidated if you went quickly enough.  You can do a surprising number of missions with the stock gateway by doing things like that in stages.  The only reason I generally upgrade mine is so that I could put more memory into it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
oop-c did i do dis

im in ur computer shutin u down

Also, thanks a lot for getting me hooked on Uplink again, you guys. ;>

Currently a grade 12 Uplink agent (Intermediate), neuromancer rating of aggressive, 4100c in the bank, 0c in loans, stock gateway, stock (60GHz) processor, 32Gq of RAM.  Software owned: File Copier/Deleter v1, Log Deleter v4, Trace Tracker v4, Password Cracker v1, Decrypter v4.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:05:54 PM by Spectere »

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »
You're welcome. I love this game, and I wanna get really good at it! I just needa find out all the tricks of the trade and what not.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 11:05:22 PM »
It just takes a bunch of practice.  After you get good at it, it's like riding a bike.  I jumped right back in and probably did 25 or so missions in a few minutes. :P

I've been playing the game since it came out, though, so I do kind of have a head start. ;P

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 11:27:30 PM »
Yeah no doubt lol. So with this monitor bypasser thing, is there any way to KNOW that you've bypassed the proxy/monitor?
Like an indication that its showing you bypass it? Because the way I used it was...accessed the bypasser, dragged it to the monitor, then clicked the monitor icon in my hud.
Then it slid over it, and just sat there doing nothing. That how it goes?

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:09 PM »
Also, thanks a lot for getting me hooked on Uplink again, you guys. ;>

Wat? I thought it came out just recently.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
Yeah no doubt lol. So with this monitor bypasser thing, is there any way to KNOW that you've bypassed the proxy/monitor?
Like an indication that its showing you bypass it? Because the way I used it was...accessed the bypasser, dragged it to the monitor, then clicked the monitor icon in my hud.
Then it slid over it, and just sat there doing nothing. That how it goes?

Yep, that's all there is to it.  The green light is all there is to it. :)

Wat? I thought it came out just recently.

Lawd, no.  It's been out since mid-2001.  I grabbed the demo after it was released and got it for Christmas later that year. :3

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
Yeah, I heard about it ages ago, but never got into it.

Would it be a good idea to stockpile early missions and then do them all at once to get a boatload of cash, instead of doing missions a couple at a time and getting to highly skilled and being unable to do the easy missions? I kinda ran out of cash, and didn't know how to take out a loan.

Oh, and The orange wasn't a mission, green indicated a mission.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »
Would it be a good idea to stockpile early missions and then do them all at once to get a boatload of cash, instead of doing missions a couple at a time and getting to highly skilled and being unable to do the easy missions? I kinda ran out of cash, and didn't know how to take out a loan.

You can still do noob missions later on in the game, they're just harder to come by.

And yeah, I generally stockpile them and do them in groups.  9 out of 10 times I wind up being able to do multiple missions in one connection (i.e. multiple file deletions on one server) which saves a lot of time in the long run.

Just make sure you don't mix up file copy missions and file delete missions.  I did that once a while back and had to abandon a mission because of it. D:

Oh, and The orange wasn't a mission, green indicated a mission.

Yeah, so I've noticed.  Oh well.

I'm definitely thankful for features like that, though.  Uplink originally lacked that feature, not to mention the ability to zoom on the map and delete bounces.  It was real...nice...having a huge bounce path and having to redo it, or not being able to find your target on the cluttered map.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »
Yeah, I like being able to save a large bounce path, remove 1 node if it happens to be the destination, and then route from the last server to the node you need. It saves time.

Oh, and my paths usually give me like, 1200 to 2000 seconds to play with on the crappy servers, but on the high tech stuff, I get like, a tenth of that :/
I don't tend to keep too many secure passwords in my zombies.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 12:09:24 AM »
Haha, yeah, I know the feeling.  It's basically impossible to keep admin access at that many locations (if anything, it'll drive you insane trying to do it).  It has a pretty positive affect on your trace time, but it's a lot easier to just brute force it and throw in a bunch of access terminals and public access machines. :P

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
Yeah, I love when I see 2% trace on me when I start doing the mission, and 3% trace when I'm totally finished :P

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x