Author Topic: Uplink  (Read 18112 times)

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Uplink
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 03:12:21 PM »
Theres another problem i'm running into. Although I haven't used the monitor bypass yet, when I get into a system (usually a bank or criminal records server) the maximum I usually get is like 30 to 40 seconds. Like, with the bank, what I have to do, is go in, break the password, disconnect, reconnect, break the decypher, disconnect, re-connect, voice activate, then go do the stuff I needa do.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
The security on the GCD and banks are hella tight.  You're pretty much going to need a long bounce path in order to give you more time.  Connect to InterNIC, browse the server list, and add a shit ton of servers to pad out your connection.

The monitor bypass is also handy.  While it won't stop the trace from happening, it'll delay it long enough for you to get in, or almost get in, to the system before you start getting traced.

The method that you're doing is pretty much the way to go.  Until you can afford systems with fast processors you pretty much have to do hacks like that in stages unless you have an uber-long bounce path (and even then, decyphering can take a hell of a long time, long enough to need another go sometimes).  You're definitely on the right path.

Oh, on my latest game I decided to do a "neuromancer++" type of game.  Basically, I'm going to play as a pure hacker, not tampering with peoples' lives at all (read: ignoring all of the "generate university degree" missions and such) and only upping my neuromancer rating, never lowering it.  Granted, the neuromancer rating doesn't affect much in the game (aside from your mission selection) but it'll be an interesting challenge if anything.  We'll see how it goes...
"This is a machine for making cows."

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Theres another thing I didn't know. Bringing up a servers list lol. Gonna try that out as well. I always just connected to the servers available on the map.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »
Well, I'm coming close to cleaning out interNIC. I may have to scout out some of the servers and see if I can get links to other servers that aren't included in interNIC's database.

On a side note, I just got a hold of revelation, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. I don't want to fuck this up by making some dumb mistake and killing myself.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »
Oh yeah, InterNIC is pretty much amazing for that alone. :P

There are some things that it doesn't list, though.  Namely telephone systems, central mainframes, and LANs, but it's definitely good for padding your list in cases like this.

On a side note, I just got a hold of revelation, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. I don't want to fuck this up by making some dumb mistake and killing myself.

Just don't run it on your own gateway, whatever you do. :P

If you want to run it on a remote system, upload it to the file server, go into the terminal, and type this:

> cd usr
> run revelation

...then note the nice red blob on the world map indicating the infected system. :P  Also, congrats -- with your acquisition of Revelation you have entered the storyline.  Things can get pretty tricky in there, especially at the end.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:51:34 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »
So I hear. I'm just wondering if I can get screwed up easily by working for those guys, or something.

I just got the counter offer.. I'm quite confused and really don't want to lose everything I have right now.

Took the counter offer, now I just received a warning from ARC.. Not good.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:54:15 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »
Took the counter offer, now I just received a warning from ARC.. Not good.

Meh, don't worry about them.  They can't touch you.

Let's just say, you're better off going down the path that you're taking than the ARC path.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 12:42:23 AM »
Alright, I'm getting to the point where I'm knocking out central servers and shit. God, I love "cd usr, delete, cd sys, delete, cd log, delete, shutdown".

Oh, and can I run the copy of RevelationTracer on my computer? lol. I just want to know if it actually runs and stuff.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 01:16:46 AM »
I don't believe RevelationTracer does anything if you run it locally.  I might be mixing it up with something else, though.

The only thing that'll do damage is Revelation.  Don't worry about the other ones.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 11:22:48 PM »
I'm not that far and advanced yet lol, I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about >.>

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:53 AM »
I have no idea what you're talking about in the first place. >:s

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 03:52:33 AM »
Well, I'm being very careful now, so that's why I'm still alive. Plus, I have used the fast forward a bunch to stock up on easy missions more than once so that I could get some decent cash.

Oh, and how do I hack banks for money?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x