Author Topic: s.net v4.0 is now open for business!  (Read 14007 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
s.net v4.0 is now open for business!
« on: August 18, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »
The move between hosts seems to have gone well!  s.net is now happily running on 1&1's servers.

In case anyone missed it (which is very likely), I moved the site because Interweb's service basically went to shit in the last year.  More importantly, my most recent server payment did not go through and my e-mail regarding that went unanswered.  Rather than risking the site getting shut down (since I doubt they'd give me hosting for free forever) I decided to pack up and move everything.

I chose 1&1 because of Zakamiro's good experiences with it and they seem to be pretty good so far.  My only real gripes is that they give you some really ass-backwards usernames and such (unlike the comparatively elegant ones, such as username@spectere.net that Interweb gives).  Also, some of the processes, like creating an SQL database or changing passwords, are not instantaneous like they were on Interweb.  Fortunately, that doesn't matter much after the initial setup, so we're good.

Everything's in a bit of a confused state right now.  I dumped all of the files to my computer and am now trying to weed everything out and get it all back in place.  I'm currently in the process of getting Kuroneko's subdomain back online.  My goal is to get that, and the forums, completely operational before I leave for Maryland, and so far it seems to be going well.

And uh, yeah...I guess that's all for now.  Toodles!
"This is a machine for making cows."

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
Re: s.net v4.0 is now open for business!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
Cool, I wasn't really all that much of a fan of the Joomla software which was installed last time, and so far am liking the switch back to plain SMF. 

So when are you leaving for Maryland? 

Kuroneko

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
my shit's fallen and it can't get up

sir please fix :[

also i can't access my webspace at all with dumbftp.  weird

I like how it's back to the old style though :D

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »
mother fucker, you should have told me you were going to switch to 1and1.... I could have gotten a year of webhosting paid if I had referred you. Arghh.... <3 jk

Sweet, so when does v5 come out? :P

My only real gripes is that they give you some really ass-backwards usernames and such (unlike the comparatively elegant ones, such as username@spectere.net that Interweb gives).

huh?

Also, why wasnt there warning, or a backup of the SMF forum?

I'm really disappointed that I tried checking the forums again, only to find everything erased (for a second time).

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
Toot toot.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »
This new version has waaey better graphix which make it like totally better then any of the other versions lol.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 01:29:20 AM »
mother fucker, you should have told me you were going to switch to 1and1.... I could have gotten a year of webhosting paid if I had referred you. Arghh.... <3 jk

Yeah, sorry about that. :<  They only told me about referral stuff after I signed up, haha.

Sweet, so when does v5 come out? :P

Knowing me, tomorrow.

Also, why wasnt there warning, or a backup of the SMF forum?

I'm really disappointed that I tried checking the forums again, only to find everything erased (for a second time).

Whelp, there was a warning but since I was on an extremely limited time frame (like I said, had to get everything done before I moved to a place with no Interwebz) I had to get everything done as fast as possible.

I also do have a backup of the old forums sitting here.  I took a complete site backup before I shut da shit down.

Oh yeah, about the usernames.  I'm just not used to getting, um...serial numbers for my database names and such. XD  With Interweb they gave names with a spectere_ prefix, so making a database called "smf" would give me "spectere_smf", not "db839201839".  No biggie, just a little niggle.

my shit's fallen and it can't get up

sir please fix :[

Well, yeah...we kind of changed hosts. :P

And it's back online now.

also i can't access my webspace at all with dumbftp.  weird

Well, yeah...we kind of changed hosts. :P

I sent you your new logon stuff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:32:01 AM by Spectere »

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 04:37:17 AM »
I also do have a backup of the old forums sitting here.  I took a complete site backup before I shut da shit down.

why couldn't these be uploaded?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »
I didn't have the SQL dump when I started setting it up.  ~400MB of data is a lot of stuff to download and, like I said, I wanted to get the site up before I left.